Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TV Music- A Dead Art?  (Read 2137 times)

Jeremy Nelson

TV Music- A Dead Art?
« on: April 25, 2007, 02:08:18 AM »
A friend and I were watching TV today, and me mentioned to me that the only time he ever really hears music on TV anymore is either on a game show or an elaboarate Family Guy/Simpsons sketch.

So I pose the question to you: is music on TV a dead concept?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

TV Music- A Dead Art?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 02:16:35 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'150930\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 02:08 AM\']
A friend and I were watching TV today, and me mentioned to me that the only time he ever really hears music on TV anymore is either on a game show or an elaboarate Family Guy/Simpsons sketch.

So I pose the question to you: is music on TV a dead concept?
[/quote]
Are you referring to theme songs and such, because it seems like the increased commercial time is leading to themes being sacrificed, except for HBO.

I don't think the format is dead, but until either a) networks figure out a way to expand the length of programming, i.e. what NBC does with their sitcoms during sweeps, b) find a way to decrease the commercials without losing a profit*, it might be a few years.

*they could always increase the cost per commercial spot...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

TV Music- A Dead Art?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 06:42:26 AM »
From what I've seen, it's generally preferential. Take Desperate Housewives, for instance. Depending on how long of an episode they need to fit into their timeslot, they'll either use their forty-five second opening credit sequence, or the quick four-second sequence. But, I do agree that generally, the days of long, fun opening songs are gone.

urbanpreppie05

TV Music- A Dead Art?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 09:31:10 AM »
There are very few shows that have set theme songs these days...but let's see...30 Rock, Everybody Hates Chris, Girlfriends, Scrubs...they all have noticeable theme songs.
insert signature here

Ian Wallis

TV Music- A Dead Art?
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 12:08:56 PM »
I used to love watching the opening titles/themes, and really think that's one thing that's missing from a lot of shows these days.  Some of the ones done over the years were quite creative, and I'd love the anticipation of watching the new fall season to see if they had changed at all.

I do think the Days of the Great Game Show Themes have long since passed :(

I find it odd that commercial time must have changed during the season.  From my long-ago memories of watching these shows growing up, sometimes Mary Tyler Moore would have a shorter, instrumental theme for some of their episodes, and shows like Happy Days or Three's Company would have a shorter-edit of their opening themes and credit sequences that you'd sometimes start seeing part way through the season.  I guess they did that to get an additional promotional spot in once in a while(?)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

TV Music- A Dead Art?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »
The TV code had rules on how much commercial content there could be back then, so the non-program content was fixed depending on what time of day the show was on.  Prime time was more strict than other dayparts.  It's possible that a show's length might be determined by the script and if the script ran long, the opening and credits would have to be shorter.

From my viewing experience, up until the 80's, it was rare to see a promo for another show within the show.  Promos within a show meant open avails that could not be sold.  The only time you would see promos otherwise was at the end of a show and sometimes it would just be a booth announcer over a slide or art card.  

When the TV code was abolished, out went the restrictions on commercial time and in came the informercials.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

TV Music- A Dead Art?
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 01:16:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'150949\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 12:08 PM\']
I find it odd that commercial time must have changed during the season.  From my long-ago memories of watching these shows growing up, sometimes Mary Tyler Moore would have a shorter, instrumental theme for some of their episodes, and shows like Happy Days or Three's Company would have a shorter-edit of their opening themes and credit sequences that you'd sometimes start seeing part way through the season.
[/quote]
That used to confuse me too. It got to the point where I'd be surprised when The Simpsons or Married...with Children aired the full credits, instead of the syndicated rerun credits.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Robert Hutchinson

TV Music- A Dead Art?
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »
Based on context, I actually don't think that the original poster was focusing on theme songs, but rather "in-show" music.

The first current example that leapt to my mind were the quasi-music-videos that are often inserted into modern dramas (especially those with a young audience). The characters go into montage mode, and they promote some band by running one of their songs over it.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

uncamark

TV Music- A Dead Art?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 05:46:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'150979\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 04:29 PM\']
Based on context, I actually don't think that the original poster was focusing on theme songs, but rather "in-show" music.

The first current example that leapt to my mind were the quasi-music-videos that are often inserted into modern dramas (especially those with a young audience). The characters go into montage mode, and they promote some band by running one of their songs over it.
[/quote]

Our critic at the Chicago Sun-Times complains about the twee underscores that seem to inhabit most ABC dramas.  (I especially think of that clinkety clinklety underscore for "Brothers and Sisters.")

Actually, it seems to me that one-camera sitcoms do a lot of underscoring, since they use music (along with voice-over narration) to replace the laugh tracks.  I'm just waiting for some one-camera show to punctuate a punchline with a muted trumpet going "wah, wah, wah, wah..."

BrandonFG

TV Music- A Dead Art?
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 06:01:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'150979\' date=\'Apr 25 2007, 05:29 PM\']

[/quote]
From reading your and Mark's post, I do see a lot more band music on shows, and more shows borrowing their theme songs from bands. I think it started on some of FOX's Spelling dramas in the mid-90s, where you'd have an announcer promoting the music for the episode. My question is whether or not it's cheaper to use band music or just have a musician compose scene music?