Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jack Palance's Hollywood Squares nap  (Read 2558 times)

JenKennings

Jack Palance's Hollywood Squares nap
« on: April 25, 2007, 05:53:53 PM »
So I've heard the anecdote about Jack Palance falling asleep in his Hollywood Squares cubicle, of course, but today I was trying to track the story down and realized I didn't know much else about it.  I've definitely never seen a clip.

So I defer to the experts here: what's the real scoop?  Did it happen?  Did it air?  Was he snoring?  Did Michael Landon really wake him up?  This site even gives a date--February 26, 1968.  Is that date correct/plausible?  

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 06:31:52 PM »
I didn't see the show (dutifully attending 2nd grade at the time) but, my back issue of TV Guide for that date lists both him and Michael Landon as guests.  Abby Dalton and Janis Paige were also on the panel.  The other celebs (Glenn Ford, Jim Backus, Wally Cox, Charley Weaver and Shelley Winters) are now deceased.  That date was a Monday.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JenKennings

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 07:18:28 PM »
Thanks, good to know.  Anyone else seen this clip or know the source of the story?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 12:14:35 AM »
[quote name=\'JenKennings\' post=\'151044\' date=\'Apr 26 2007, 07:18 PM\']
Thanks, good to know.  Anyone else seen this clip or know the source of the story?
[/quote]

This probably won't help, but didn't Peter Marshall mention something about said incident in the E! THS for Hollywood Squares?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

rebelwrest

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:21:16 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'151067\' date=\'Apr 27 2007, 12:14 AM\']
[quote name=\'JenKennings\' post=\'151044\' date=\'Apr 26 2007, 07:18 PM\']
[/quote]

This probably won't help, but didn't Peter Marshall mention something about said incident in the E! THS for Hollywood Squares?
[/quote]

Peter also mentioned the story during the first MOGST.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Kniwt

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 03:12:09 AM »
"Backstage With the Original Hollywood Square," by Peter Marshall, pp. 134-135:
The sleepiest square had to be Jack Palance.  When he showed up on the set he didn't greet anyone, and just let it be known that he wanted a drink. ... Glenn Ford was on the show that night and he always carried a briefcase full of booze, so I guess he and Palance shared.

I don't think Jack's heart was really in this appearance.  Every time we'd ask him a question, he'd grunt his answer in a monosyllable.  Finally, a contestant called on him during the fourth show.  I asked the question and got no answer at all.  I looked up to find Jack Palance fast asleep.  I gestured to Michael Landon, who was sitting next to him, to wake him up.  Michael shook his head vehemently.  Later he said, "No way I was going to wake him up!  I was afraid he'd bite my neck."
No specific date is given in this account.

JenKennings

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 04:40:27 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Leap year trivia: assuming Marshall's anecdote is accurate, and based on Jimmy Owen's TV Guide dates, this would have happened (whether or not it aired) during the taping for the February 29, 1968 show.