Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Washington Post comes on down  (Read 1380 times)

DrBear

The Washington Post comes on down
« on: May 09, 2007, 06:46:29 PM »
Hank Stuever with a not-unkind look at TPIR in the final days of the Barker Era.

Key quote:
"It is no accident that, from the first season, the people who play "The Price Is Right" look exactly like the nation itself, no matter the year. They are dressed for immediate departure on Untucked Airlines. They seem like a lot of different thesis statements at once -- about diversity, about class, about consumption -- on a show that never meant to suggest any of that. Some ran on down, some skipped on down, one legendarily popped out of her tube top in the mid-'70s."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:05:41 AM »
Fun read, they were quoting this on Detroit radio. Notable quote, no matter what your opinion of Bob...following a quick mention of the Doug Davidson version and its failure due to its numerous tweaks, Bob says:

"I've talked in greater detail with you right now about what happens to 'The Price Is Right' than I've talked with anybody [in charge], because they haven't asked me."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Neumms

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 12:11:45 PM »
I love that Bob can still do a little joke about drinking. I was hoping the piece was a Tom Shales column, but it was great nonetheless.