Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So I'm going to try out for Millionaire...the big show this time.  (Read 6700 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
I decided to sign up to try out for Millionaire again. This would be my second time trying out (I tried for the Pop Culture Week last year, passed the test, but choked on the interview).

Now, I would figure that the audition would be pretty much the same as it was last time, with some exceptions (different subjects on the test, less questions to answer on the audition app).

Am I wrong to assume that the actual show question test (non-theme week) is about a bunch of random things (much like the J! test)?

Also, from those of us who've taken said test and been on said show (including those of us who have done it recently), how did you think it went?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
So I'm going to try out for Millionaire...the big show this time.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:40:00 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'151400\' date=\'May 2 2007, 10:34 PM\']Am I wrong to assume that the actual show question test (non-theme week) is about a bunch of random things (much like the J! test)? [/quote] Your assumption is correct. They will test everything from names of characters on television to nuclear physics. And some stuff in between. I took the test in 2003, but "current events" didn't play as big a part on my examination as it does on the show now.

Also, from those of us who've taken said test and been on said show (including those of us who have done it recently), how did you think it went?
I thought I had a great score.

The contestant coordinators thought otherwise. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:40:33 AM by TLEberle »
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

rebelwrest

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 01:44:42 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'151401\' date=\'May 3 2007, 01:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'151400\' date=\'May 2 2007, 10:34 PM\']Am I wrong to assume that the actual show question test (non-theme week) is about a bunch of random things (much like the J! test)? [/quote] Your assumption is correct. They will test everything from names of characters on television to nuclear physics. And some stuff in between. I took the test in 2003, but "current events" didn't play as big a part on my examination as it does on the show now.
[/quote]

I passed the test, but one thing I do notice is that sometimes they use past questions from the show.  So hopefully you have been a huge fan and have a great memory.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

davemackey

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 06:50:46 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'151400\' date=\'May 3 2007, 01:34 AM\']
[/quote]
I think I hear someone calling my name...

I took the Millionaire test twice. The test is done at the ABC studios and they're going to start auditions later this month for the sixth season. It's 30 questions on a variety of subjects, with multiple choice answers. You don't know how many you got right, nor do you ever find out what a passing grade is. They just tell you who passed, and that's that.

I would say anywhere from 5-10% of those in a testing group get to have a brief interview with a contestant producer, based on my two audition experiences. And the interview is truly the make-or-break. Be yourself, be interesting, and you won't have any problem getting the contestant pool postcard.

Hopefully you'll get on the show and do better than I did!

And by the way, I did get the check in the mail last week! Not even registered or anything like that! Just dumped in with all the circulars and bills. You think the show could send its winnings a little more securely.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 10:18:53 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'May 3 2007, 06:50 AM\']The test is done at the ABC studios and they're going to start auditions later this month for the sixth season.[/quote]
Actually, they started this week.

And by the way, I did get the check in the mail last week! Not even registered or anything like that! Just dumped in with all the circulars and bills. You think the show could send its winnings a little more securely.
One would think, but that's how both of my checks have come, as well. The one from Wheel even had the show's name in big, bold letters on the return address. Given that any thief could easily know that I had a large check coming, that does seem like somewhat of a security issue.

As far as the actual audition, pretty much what Dave said. Make sure you have something interesting for what you'd do with a megabuck, and about half a dozen other interesting things that you could talk to Meredith about. If you happen to be introverted like me, you may want to knock down a couple Red Bulls right before, to get you to the appropriate energy level.

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'May 3 2007, 01:34 AM\']Also, from those of us who've taken said  test and been on said show (including those of us who have done it  recently), how did you think it went?[/quote]
I've done four auditions in the last five years. After two of them (Pyramid, Hollywood Squares), I thought I'd done really well. Nothing. The other two (Millionaire, Wheel), I left with neither particularly good nor particularly bad feelings ("Well that went, um... Well, it went.") And those were the ones I got on. Either CCs like taking me down a peg, or I'm just a weirdo.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 10:28:44 AM »
If they (game shows in general) are rejecting people who do well on the test, they're probably trying to find interesting people who won't break their budget.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MrBuddwing

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 10:42:57 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'151411\' date=\'May 3 2007, 06:50 AM\']
It's 30 questions on a variety of subjects, with multiple choice answers. You don't know how many you got right, nor do you ever find out what a passing grade is. They just tell you who passed, and that's that.[/quote]

My recollection is that it's 40 questions in 10 minutes.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 01:08:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 3 2007, 10:28 AM\'] If they (game shows in general) are rejecting people who do well on the test, they're probably trying to find interesting people who won't break their budget. [/quote]
That may exist to some extent, and I think Millionaire is probably more guilty of it than any of the other syndicated offerings. I should clarify, though, that when I was mentioning how I thought I did, I was counting the entire audition process, not just the test (I passed all four tests). I know I did extremely well on the Pyramid and Wheel tests; I think I did about-average-for-a-passer for H2 and Millionaire. I was 1/2 in getting on the show in each group.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:08:56 PM by Steve McClellan »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'151415\' date=\'May 3 2007, 10:28 AM\']
If they (game shows in general) are rejecting people who do well on the test, they're probably trying to find interesting people who won't break their budget.[/quote]
I thought the general idea was for CC's to pick people who aren't too smart, aren't too stupid, and aren't too dull.
This signature is currently under construction.

PYLdude

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'151416\' date=\'May 3 2007, 10:42 AM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'151411\' date=\'May 3 2007, 06:50 AM\']
It's 30 questions on a variety of subjects, with multiple choice answers. You don't know how many you got right, nor do you ever find out what a passing grade is. They just tell you who passed, and that's that.[/quote]

My recollection is that it's 40 questions in 10 minutes.
[/quote]

No offense, Buddwing, but since Dave's been on the show more recently, I'm more inclined to take his word for it. Although I think the time limit sounds about right...I had the same amount of time to finish the Pop Culture test.

rebelwrest, I do remember seeing some questions from the show on the Pop Culture test...wouldn't be surprised if I saw some there.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

tvmitch

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 03:57:18 PM »
I've been DVR-ing the double run for a couple months now, and there have been several contestants lately that just, well, there's no way they could have "passed" either of the tests I've taken in my two tryouts so far. Personally, I passed once (individual) and not the other time (Wedding).

I wonder just how many contestants who were on the ring of fire (but not the seat) on the Regis version made it as contestants on the daytime version? I recall at least one.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:57:45 PM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 12:06:57 AM »
Okay, since today was the big day, I thought I might let you know what happened.

The test turned out to be 30 questions in 10 minutes after all. I was a little afraid that I might blank out and not get anything, but I found the test surprisingly easy. That says one of two things: either it wasn't as hard as some people made it out to be (I'm talking about the people at the audition, obviously), or I know too much insignificant trivia for my own good. I don't know.

I think I did a little better in the interview this time...I wasn't as nervous.

I met a guy who had tried out for the show 25 times....and passed 24 times. I was impressed, but felt bad at the same time for the guy. Hopefully he gets it this time.

So now, I wait. Hopefully I get in the pool this time.

WmLGage

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'152611\' date=\'May 17 2007, 09:06 PM\']
I met a guy who had tried out for the show 25 times....and passed 24 times. I was impressed, but felt bad at the same time for the guy. Hopefully he gets it this time.
[/quote]

I can't even imagine the frustration!  But it makes me wonder, when does it become obvious that it's hopeless?  Recently, there was one guy in the hot seat of whom it was said that he'd tried to get on the show five times, but they never said more than that: like, did he fail the test four times?  Did he pass the test every time?  Over what period of time?  Was it all for the syndie show?  Details, man, I wanted details!  Anyway...

I had tried to get on the show when the contestant selection process was exclusively by telephone, without success.  I also "auditioned" three times when they took their version of the "Clue Crew" on the road, again, without success.  I was really bad at the phone-in fastest-finger-style questions, but did manage to get to the second level once. I was better at the written audition test (at that time, 30 fastest-finger-style questions), passing all three times, but my audition "performances" were less than memorable (but I did get better at it with experience).  Still, after three failed attempts, I finally lost heart; but by then, the prime-time show was on the downhill side of its run anyway.

Fast forward to last year, when I found myself in a position to be able to regularly watch the syndicated show.  (Okay, I was unemployed, but it was by my choice.)  Anyway, as I watched every day, the old urge began to reassert itself and I began to plot my comeback as a contestant wannabe.  Had to wait for the 2007 audition dates to be posted in "mid-April," but, as they say, anything worth having is worth waiting for.  When April finally came and the dates were posted, I got my reservation and flew to NYC to take one more shot at it.

I thought the test was surprisingly easy.  I was 90-100% sure of the answer to all but three of the questions, all of which I had to flat-out guess at, and all of which I got wrong, as it turns out.  If I assume that I answered all the remaining questions correctly (which I don't think is unreasonable, given my level of confidence), then I passed with a score of 90% (27 out of 30).

I didn't keep track of how many people where in the group with me or how many of those passed.  I was too focused on listening for my number, and, when it was called, too psyched to care.  Still, since it wasn't my first time, I was a lot less nervous, and can only hope I made a sufficiently good impression.  The "audition" portion was different than when I'd audtioned before: then, they (the three traveling PAs) would get three or four people to go up in front of the whole group of test-passers and quiz them as a group from a distance, while this time, it was "one-on-one" with just two PAs.

According to the blog of a guy who took and passed the test on May 1st, he got "the card" slightly less than three weeks later, so if the same time frame generally applies, I guess I can expect the news -- good or bad -- sometime in mid-June.

On the down side, however, apparently, the producers have decided to enforce their stated  "right to limit the number of times a person may audition for the show."  At the bottom of the page where one requests tickets for a taping, it now says, "If you have auditioned since June 2006 and have received a postcard saying you have not been selected for the Contestant Pool please do not audition again for this season of the show."  Which appears to limit one to one successful attempt (success being defined by passing the test) per year, at best.

Am interested to hear others' stories....

StevensM

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 04:26:28 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'151428\' date=\'May 3 2007, 02:57 PM\']I wonder just how many contestants who were on the ring of fire (but not the seat) on the Regis version made it as contestants on the daytime version? I recall at least one.
[/quote]

Several.  Here are some I'm aware of:
Madeleine Ali (won $32,000, also won $320,000 on Greed)
Libby Brown (won $1,000)
Kelly Buszek (won $1,000)
Caren Chancey (won $125,000, also appeared on Jeopardy! in 2005)
Bill Dickenson (won $64,000, also a 5-time Jeopardy! champion)
Kirsten Drymiller (won $25,000)
Melanie Leon (won $50,000, appeared on and lost to Jeopardy! 7-time champion Tom Walsh)
Carol Martinez (won $25,000)
Matt McLain (won $1,000)
Judy Murphy (won $64,000)
Steve Pavia (won $1,000)
Kevin Smith (first person to win $1,000,000 on the syndicated show)
June Stapleton Hess (won $32,000)
Tom Walter (won $16,000)

I'm sure there are others around as well.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:53:15 PM by StevensM »

PYLdude

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 02:19:36 AM »
[quote name=\'WmLGage\' post=\'153442\' date=\'May 26 2007, 11:13 AM\']
On the down side, however, apparently, the producers have decided to enforce their stated  "right to limit the number of times a person may audition for the show."  At the bottom of the page where one requests tickets for a taping, it now says, "If you have auditioned since June 2006 and have received a postcard saying you have not been selected for the Contestant Pool please do not audition again for this season of the show."  Which appears to limit one to one successful attempt (success being defined by passing the test) per year, at best.
[/quote]

That makes me scratch my head...I had tried out for the show back in October of '06 for Pop Culture Week. Now that I think about it, shouldn't that have made me ineligible to try out, considering I got the no postcard? Or does that just have to do with the audience members who audition for the show?