Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Schedule changes for 6/4  (Read 8852 times)

PYLW

Schedule changes for 6/4
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:33:01 PM »
This comes from Steve Beverly at tvgameshows.net

LET'S MAKE A DEAL
RETURNS TO GSN DAYTIME
Get set to find a $2 bill or a hard boiled egg in your shopping bag or purse. Montymania is returning to GSN daytime.
Let's Make a Deal takes over the 10 a.m. (EDT/PDT) slot weekdays beginning June 4 as part of a major summer makeover of the GSN daylight lineup.
In addition, in the Thursday-through-Saturday TiVo Theatre slot of 2-3 a.m., Deal earns a wee hours back-to-back block, replacing Street Smarts.

(EDITED BY MODERATOR: The original article is here.  Please don't repost entire copyrighted articles; an excerpt and a link are sufficient.  Thanks. -DZ)

I'm a HUGE fan of LMaD, but losing Combs Feud, an ep of Super Password, Body Language, and Eubanks Card Sharks over it is not worth it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 07:23:03 PM by dzinkin »

cacLA8383

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:10:24 PM »
Wow, it must've cost a fortune to renew LMAD's contract. Now if only they can get Amazing Race off their schedule, then maybe they could've salvaged Combs Feud. I'm glad to see Deal coming back on their lineup, though.

tyshaun1

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 07:13:10 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'151691\' date=\'May 7 2007, 05:33 PM\']
I'm a HUGE fan of LMaD, but losing Combs Feud, an ep of Super Password, Body Language, and Eubanks Card Sharks over it is not worth it.
[/quote]
This is the 2nd time that Combs' Feud has been dumped from weekdays in the past couple years, right? I think that should tell you a lot about that version's following.

Tyshaun

tpirfan28

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 07:13:18 PM »
Eh...it's not good enough yet to start begging for GSN, but it's a step in the right direction.  Ditch Karn Feud for Combs, and replace the early-morning block of love shows for something like classic Password and $25K Pyramid and I might start watching again.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Allstar87

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:17:12 PM »
Well, I'm gonna miss some of the shows leaving, but having LMAD back is a good thing! Wonder which version it'll be...

And while Combs' Feud is my favorite version, losing it doesn't bother me too much. I know it'll be back someday.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »
While I will miss Card Sharks in the afternoon (well, the 2pm hour, but still), I really like the replacements. Can you go wrong with Password Plus and Match Game? Seriously.

I do like that they banished The Newlyed Game/Love Connection hour to the 9 AM hour. Gives me a reason not to watch the same retread Stump the Schwabs on ESPN Classic.

Good to see Blockbusters taking up root in the afternoon. At least I can see it now without having to get up early.

I don't like the 4 o'clock block.

My opinion? I'd much rather see Rafferty CS and any Pyramid return to the daytime schedule before Whammy, but that's just me.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tvmitch

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:07:09 AM »
The most interesting thing in that article to me was buried near the bottom. The prof says that Cullen Blockbusters has been one of the most popular shows in GSN's daytime lineup. Even though I would love to see national numbers on GSN daytime, I don't doubt him, because it really is a good show...but shouldn't the fact that BB is doing pretty well signal to GSN that hey, maybe we should schedule some more "hard quizzes" in daytime?
You should follow me on Twitter

WhammyPower

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 09:14:01 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'151743\' date=\'May 8 2007, 08:07 AM\'] The most interesting thing in that article to me was buried near the bottom. The prof says that Cullen Blockbusters has been one of the most popular shows in GSN's daytime lineup. Even though I would love to see national numbers on GSN daytime, I don't doubt him, because it really is a good show...but shouldn't the fact that BB is doing pretty well signal to GSN that hey, maybe we should schedule some more "hard quizzes" in daytime? [/quote]
Isn't that what Millionaire's for?

Jimmy Owen

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 09:55:45 AM »
With "Blockbusters" I wonder if it's the visual aspect that sets it apart.  A co-worker of mine, who is in her early 30's, knowing my affection for game shows, told me that she liked the show "where they go side to side or top to bottom."  I suggested that she was thinking of "Blockbusters" and she said, "Yeah, that's the one."  So it may not be the questions that are the attraction to her, and frankly, GSN wants to reach her more than they want to reach me.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Mike Tennant

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'151743\' date=\'May 8 2007, 09:07 AM\']
shouldn't the fact that BB is doing pretty well signal to GSN that hey, maybe we should schedule some more "hard quizzes" in daytime?
[/quote]
Or "Hey, maybe this is a good candidate for a GSN remake," followed, unfortunately, by "Let's hire a washed-up actor or bad comedian to host it, change the rules completely, and/or choose contestants who can't play the game."

Actually, I can see either the Chucker or Bob Goen, both of whom have GSN connections, being a good host for this.

comicus

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 10:27:41 AM »
Allow me to commit borderline heresy and put myself out as one of the few who hopes that we get 80s LMAD with this schedule change, as opposed to the original.  Hey, it's the one I grew up on.  Door Number 4 ownz.

And at the risk of threadjacking, I also have to wonder if the pending debut of Temptation in syndication this fall would give GSN even the slightest impetus to pursue the dynamic Grundy duo of Sale of the Century and Scrabble.  I understand, the eternal "Why doesn't GSN air _______?" query is a tired, pointless old chestnut harkening back to the ATGS days, but I have to imagine that, just as Press Your Luck was prior to 2001, the Grundy library has to be near or at the top of the list of most requested acquisitions.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 11:29:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'151747\' date=\'May 8 2007, 06:58 AM\']
by "Let's hire a washed-up actor or bad comedian to host it,
[/quote]
Dylan Lane is neither. They pulled him off of Fuse, that bastard stepchild of MuchMusic.

But, yes, he still sucks. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 12:06:32 PM »
...but shouldn't the fact that BB is doing pretty well signal to GSN that hey, maybe we should schedule some more "hard quizzes" in daytime?[/quote]
Like Jimmy, I'm not sure that "hard quiz" is necessarily the right term, though I think the questions are a very important part of the appeal for Blockbusters.  Still, when you're dealing with mostly the G-T library, it's not as though you have a lot of straight Q&A's to choose from.

Blockbusters would be a fine show for GSN to remake, except for the fact that they'd have to screw around with an already ideal format in order to keep the episodes self-contained.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 12:19:13 PM »
but shouldn't the fact that BB is doing pretty well signal to GSN that hey, maybe we should schedule some more "hard quizzes" in daytime?
[/quote]
I wouldn't call it a hard quiz either.  My take on BB is that Bill Cullen took an iffy-to-OK format and made it his own.  If you've watched either a Rafferty or the British version, you'll notice the pace is much faster, but not as fun to watch.

To answer Matt, if GSN was itching to revive it, the non-straddle issue wouldn't be that difficult, it could just be # of wins until the time limit or adopt the £5 per hexagon the British version used with some premium for winning the board.  Or if they want to get really fancy, the pot starts at 'X' with 'Y' removed for each hex used, so that a sweep win is more impressive than a 15-hex win.

The original run-throughs and maybe even the pilot must have had some sort of scoring system, because if you look at the images in the Encyclopedia, the players have score displays.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

Schedule changes for 6/4
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 01:12:45 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'151761\' date=\'May 8 2007, 12:19 PM\']
To answer Matt, if GSN was itching to revive it, the non-straddle issue wouldn't be that difficult, it could just be # of wins until the time limit or adopt the £5 per hexagon the British version used with some premium for winning the board.  Or if they want to get really fancy, the pot starts at 'X' with 'Y' removed for each hex used, so that a sweep win is more impressive than a 15-hex win.[/quote]
Didn't mean to say it would be difficult for them, just wrong.

And yes, they would need a host who could keep things engaging but light.  A Woolery, as opposed to a Dylan Lane.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.