Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trading ettiquette, etc.  (Read 3578 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Trading ettiquette, etc.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'151782\' date=\'May 8 2007, 11:04 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'151778\' date=\'May 8 2007, 01:48 PM\']
Trust me, if I had a rule like that, and you came to me and said "Yeah, but I've been doing this a million years and I have a great collection (hint: EVERYONE thinks their collection is great) and you should bend the rules for me," I would have ended the conversation a whole damn lot faster than you two apparently did.
[/quote]
I simply think it comes down to respect. I know that when I started to trade, I tried my best to respect those who were established. I know that I was called out several times, usually with a gentle nudge, for asking what I now realize are ridiculous requests from other folks...I just don't think these new kids are getting called out for it now.
[/quote]
I'm honestly not sure what one has to do with the other. Where does "respect" equal "breaking my own rules for you?"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

Trading ettiquette, etc.
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 03:35:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'151778\' date=\'May 8 2007, 01:48 PM\']
Trust me, if I had a rule like that, and you came to me and said "Yeah, but I've been doing this a million years and I have a great collection (hint: EVERYONE thinks their collection is great) and you should bend the rules for me," I would have ended the conversation a whole damn lot faster than you two apparently did.
[/quote]
I concur.  When I was an active trader, I had a few rules of my own... nothing outrageous and certainly nothing difficult to follow.  (Spare me the rhetoric about trading also being a copyright violation; the no-cash rule as stated didn't sound as inane back then. ;-)  And yet, I'd still get, er, "less aware" types who would demand -- not request, but demand -- twenty shows from my collection and offer me, say, four from their own.  And at least a couple of times, they wanted to choose the four shows they'd send me.

The topper was still the guy (as with others in this thread, I'm not naming names) who'd "completed" his side of a trade months late (quote marks included because I ended up doing all of the dubbing due to his "broken" VCR that wasn't), and then had the nerve to ask not only for another trade, but for special consideration -- i.e. even more extra work and rule-bending on my part with zero assurance that he'd complete his side -- in said trade.  The ultimate in chutzpah: his stated justification was "you can trust me."

Yeah, some of the "trading rules" lists make War and Peace look like a pamphlet.  But unless you want to invite abuse, you have to draw the line somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 03:38:10 PM by dzinkin »

Rastaub

Trading ettiquette, etc.
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 08:55:22 PM »
Just dropping my two cents in here...

I've been at it for approximately 8 years, and every now and then there will be someone with odd rules like these. It's always been my opinion that the one who proposes the trade has to be more flexible with the trade, such as abiding by the rules of the person you request the trade from. The best idea should have been to agree on either an approximate number of shows or hours ahead of time.  However, seeing as how he contacted you it seems odd that someone would let a trade slip away over a measly 3 hours of shows. I havent really been active in the last year or so, but aside from a few scammers like the infamous Danny Voisine and the stunts pulled back in the ATGS days, most known traders wouldnt be so picky.    

Usually what I've always done is agreed to a set time and then told the trader if I had room at the end of the tape to pick a few extra shows if time allowed.

I under stand what Mr. Lemon is stating, if you give one of these nuts an inch they will try to take a foot, then eventually a yard, then a mile. That is absolutely true, however anyone who has been around for any decent amount of time knows the rules are mostly there for newbies, and largely dont apply to seasoned traders who dont  try to pull stuff like this.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Trading ettiquette, etc.
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 10:34:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Rastaub\' post=\'151855\' date=\'May 8 2007, 05:55 PM\']
however anyone who has been around for any decent amount of time knows the rules are mostly there for newbies, and largely dont apply to seasoned traders who dont  try to pull stuff like this.
[/quote]
Seems to me if this guy wants to apply them to everyone, he has the right to apply them to everyone. And people have the right to either accept that or not trade with him.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe