Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Hosts on Current Shows  (Read 3820 times)

tpirfan28

Classic Hosts on Current Shows
« on: May 09, 2007, 03:08:33 PM »
Interesting question to ponder...if you could have ANY classic game show host to host any current game show, what would you choose?

Personally, I think Geoff Edwards could handle DoND well.  He could handle Treasure Hunt really well...and...well...DoND is TH, just dumbed down.

Any other thoughts?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 03:30:27 PM »
Jim Perry on Temptation. Well, it's almost a current show.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 04:05:57 PM »
Joe Garagiola on Temptation.  I'm telling ya, Joe would be up for it!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

WhammyPower

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 04:33:54 PM »
Monty Hall on Identity.

HYHYBT

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 04:36:53 PM »
Since they're looking for someone anyway... Bill Cullen, The Price is Right.

(I don't know what he'd have done with the "new" format, but would bet it'd be better than anyone actually being considered.... and theoretically, healing a limp should be easier than raising the dead, right?)
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'151939\' date=\'May 9 2007, 01:36 PM\']
(I don't know what he'd have done with the "new" format, but would bet it'd be better than anyone actually being considered.... and theoretically, healing a limp should be easier than raising the dead, right?)
[/quote]
I realize you were joking, but (and Matt can confirm this) wasn't the limp a result of childhood polio? And when polio does that, isn't it because it leaves one leg physically shorter than the other? Kinda hard to fix that, alas.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 07:54:38 PM »
You could probably get specially made shoes to help alleviate some of the problems.  I know someone who's trying to find a shoemaker for a similar purpose, though not from polio.  As an aside, I'm thinking that Bill Cullen right now could host TPIR better than Dave Price.

Dick Clark on (UK) Pyramid.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:55:05 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 08:17:24 PM »
IMO, Bill Cullen's only weakness was that he tended to run games quite a bit slower than other hosts, and never really increased the cadence of his games over the years like other hosts did.  In and of that itself, you wouldn't necessarily read it as a weakness, I know.  But this was especially noticeable to me when HE was the one on the clock (reading questions during Gold Run, for example).  In a game that must move with the speed of the modern TPiR, he might hinder.

If you're having trouble with that, then visualize Bill trying to run the speed round on Sale of the Century.  Not pretty.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 11:50:42 AM »
Tom Kennedy for 1 vs 100

Richard Dawson on DoND?? (Shudder!)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 12:04:33 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'151961\' date=\'May 9 2007, 08:17 PM\']
IMO, Bill Cullen's only weakness was that he tended to run games quite a bit slower than other hosts, and never really increased the cadence of his games over the years like other hosts did.  In and of that itself, you wouldn't necessarily read it as a weakness, I know.  But this was especially noticeable to me when HE was the one on the clock (reading questions during Gold Run, for example).  In a game that must move with the speed of the modern TPiR, he might hinder.

If you're having trouble with that, then visualize Bill trying to run the speed round on Sale of the Century.  Not pretty.
[/quote]

Bill said once that he set the pace on his shows.  If he felt they should go faster, he would have made them go faster. Some have said of "Blockbusters" that the bonus was won too often, so I'm not sure where speeding up any more would have been appropriate. On his NBC shows of the 60's and 70's and on "Blankety Blanks" he went very fast as I recall.  I should probably defer to Matt O. here, but the point remains that Bill did and would have done any show impeccably and flawlessly.  Bill would have excelled at $ale.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 06:50:32 PM »
I don't even recall Bill going slow during the Gold Run. He sometimes paused to find questions, and read them carefully . . . I certainly don't think you could point to any instance where he cost someone the money.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Jimmy_1

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:45 PM »
1a.) Jack Barry was so good at building up suspense (as in reading a question for the 5th game win and a new car on Joker's Wild), he would be great on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?  I can picture him sitting there with a contestant, "On the screen is a question which can make you one million dollars".  Jack would also give a hearty YOU WIN if the person answered correctly.
1b.) Art Fleming's hearty congratulations and compassion for contestants would also make him a good candidte for WWTBAM.
2.) John Daly would bring back a scholarly air to Jeopardy.
3.) Monty Hall would turn up the pressure on contestants to consider the banker's offer on Deal or No Deal.
4.) Bud Collyer, in his more wild mode as Beat The Clock host, would eat up the stage hosting The Price Is Right.  Explaining pricing games would be just like explaining stunts (or "problems" as he explained them).
5.) a little variation, but I would like to see Joe Pyne, Lou Gordon, Morton Downey, Jr., or Bob Grant host The Apprentice.  These guys would hold more exciting boardroom meetings.
QUESTION: Could Dorothy Kilgallen or Peggy Cass be catty enough to be like Anne Robinson on Weakest Link?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 11:07:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy_1\' post=\'152052\' date=\'May 10 2007, 08:12 PM\']
5.) a little variation, but I would like to see Joe Pyne, Lou Gordon, Morton Downey, Jr., or Bob Grant host The Apprentice.  These guys would hold more exciting boardroom meetings.
[/quote]

Of course, that version of The Apprentice would air on Fox News Channel, but I digress.

I personally think Jim Perry would have been good on Millionaire...I think he could have adapted well to the straight Q&A format (with no gimmicks, obviously, unlike Sale), and I think he could milk a big money situation for all it would be worth.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 12:23:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy_1\' post=\'152052\' date=\'May 10 2007, 08:12 PM\']
1a.) Jack Barry was so good at building up suspense (as in reading a question for the 5th game win and a new car on Joker's Wild), he would be great on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
[/quote]
See, I found his over-the-top drama so cheesy, I'm surprised Velveeta wasn't one of Joker's sponsors. YMMV tho.

Besides, the Millionaire questions would be over-worded if Jack was on the show. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 01:22:31 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'152071\' date=\'May 10 2007, 09:23 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy_1\' post=\'152052\' date=\'May 10 2007, 08:12 PM\']1a.) Jack Barry was so good at building up suspense (as in reading a question for the 5th game win and a new car on Joker's Wild), he would be great on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? [/quote]See, I found his over-the-top drama so cheesy, I'm surprised Velveeta wasn't one of Joker's sponsors. [/quote]Quoted for Truthiness. My only exposure to Jack as the host of Joker was on Game Show Network, but oy. If he was alive today, he could have starred as Mr. Game Show in those Orbitz adverts. On the list of "Potential Hosts of Millionaire Whose Only Disqualifier Is Death," Jack Barry ranks as about number six billion for me.

I cannot stand the way that he overplays Every Single Moment on a show that really doesn't deserve it.
Travis L. Eberle