Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Possibly stupid PIR question...  (Read 1643 times)

HYHYBT

Possibly stupid PIR question...
« on: May 31, 2007, 03:17:55 AM »
Is it random which Showcase's price is revealed first, or is there some really obvious determining factor I've missed?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:48:22 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'153890\' date=\'May 31 2007, 12:17 AM\']
Is it random which Showcase's price is revealed first, or is there some really obvious determining factor I've missed?
[/quote]
Hells no it's not random. The producers are going to reveal it in such a way as to create the most drama. For example, if someone is under by a lot, and someone else is over, they're doing the under first, every time. How many times have you heard "You're over...YOU win!"? There's a reason for that.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 03:48:56 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:27:19 AM »
If a player is under by less than 3 or 4 thousand dollars, they will be the second one revealed. In the rare case that player goes first, the second usually trumps the first.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SamJ93

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:04:44 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'153897\' date=\'May 31 2007, 07:27 AM\']
If a player is under by less than 3 or 4 thousand dollars, they will be the second one revealed. In the rare case that player goes first, the second usually trumps the first.
[/quote]

Not always, though...on this Monday's show, for example, the winner was under by ~$3K, and was revealed first...the other guy was ~$13K away.

I imagine in cases like that, the producers change it up once in a while just to keep things from getting predictable.  In all other cases, though, the formula is well-defined (and with good reason...revealing a DSW, for example, first would be pretty anti-climactic).

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

sshuffield70

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'153899\' date=\'May 31 2007, 08:04 AM\']
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'153897\' date=\'May 31 2007, 07:27 AM\']
[/quote]

Not always, though...on this Monday's show, for example, the winner was under by ~$3K, and was revealed first...the other guy was ~$13K away.

I imagine in cases like that, the producers change it up once in a while just to keep things from getting predictable.  In all other cases, though, the formula is well-defined (and with good reason...revealing a DSW, for example, first would be pretty anti-climactic).

--Sam
[/quote]

Well, except for the one time when they were both under $100.  Then of course, you're right.

tvmitch

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »
I remember seeing some formula for this reveal on someone's webpage of atgs awhile back. Anyone else remember? It wasn't anything official but had about 4 or 5 scenarios that always seemed to work out.
You should follow me on Twitter

JayDLewis

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 03:56:37 PM »
Jeremy Soria had a fairly simple formula that holds true most of the time.

If the first difference revealed is $2,000 or less, the other contestant is either closer or over.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

HYHYBT

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 01:55:04 AM »
Very interesting. Thanks!
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages