Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464138 times)

Mr. Armadillo

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1005 on: October 28, 2009, 02:10:08 PM »
If I understand his explanation correctly, there are eight different 'configurations' (which I am interpreting as '18-frame screenshots), and the game randomly chooses three of them for each play-through.  During the game, instead of each individual slide rotating, the whole board rotates between these three screenshots.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'229360\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 12:51 PM\'][quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'229355\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 10:31 AM\']/Oh, and Curt was able to do it 9 freaking years ago[/quote]
Oh SO MUCH this, and this is another fine argument for "get the friggin' boards right": Curt had a WIDE ASSORTMENT of them in his game, all of them accurate to a square, and IIRC you could either get at them with a board editor app or pick which ones you wanted to play with within the game. They were EASILY accessible.[/quote]
I think that having such easy access to a large number of boards that only have what the 'casual' audience would consider minor, nitpicky differences would be out of place in a Wii game such as this, though.  

If I was designing this game, I'd probably only put three full, 54-panel boards in it: A show-accurate 1984 board, a 'high-risk' board where the dollar amounts are higher, but has more Whammies, and something else that would probably take more effort to create than I'm willing to put in the two minutes I'm taking to write this post.  Maybe add a 'board editor' for the real hard-core fans that would appreciate it, but I wouldn't make that a selling point to the 'casuals'.

[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'229353\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 12:01 PM\']Prizes: We had problems with getting prizes in-game - video from the original show was in rather low quality and we didn't have the rights to use it, so we had to do a work-around.[/quote]
Wait...how do you not have the rights to a graphic of a flat-screen tv and the letters "TV" written underneath it?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1006 on: October 28, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'229363\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 11:10 AM\']During the game, instead of each individual slide rotating, the whole board rotates between these three screenshots.[/quote]
Yes. Big problem.
I think that having such easy access to a large number of boards that only have what the 'casual' audience would consider minor, nitpicky differences would be out of place in a Wii game such as this, though.
I agree. So you pick one from Round One, and one from Round Two. If the "fans" can't agree on the best ones, you make an executive decision.  
If I was designing this game, I'd probably only put three full, 54-panel boards in it: A show-accurate 1984 board
You've overthinking it. Stop right here, and ship it. :)
Maybe add a 'board editor' for the real hard-core fans that would appreciate it, but I wouldn't make that a selling point to the 'casuals'.
This wouldn't be worth the trouble at all.

Most of us seem to agree on the basic point, though: It wasn't hard to get this right. Even taking away the little nitpicky things like not playing the "right" theme music or not maintaining the "board spin" loop sound or whatever, the basic, fundamental aspects of the game were easy to replicate if they cared enough to do it., and they still farked it up. Curt cared enough eight years or whatever ago, on no budget, a way shorter dev cycle, and no incentive to make money from his efforts.
Wait...how do you not have the rights to a graphic of a flat-screen tv and the letters "TV" written underneath it?
I think he was talking specifically about the prize video clips, but, yeah. Easy enough to pay your artists in the Philippines to find some iconic clip art and caption it in a free version of Times New Roman. Easy enough to make up some prize values: hell, I was able to do that over the course of a period of AP Computer Science twenty years ago.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #1007 on: October 28, 2009, 05:00:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'229364\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 01:37 PM\']
If I was designing this game, I'd probably only put three full, 54-panel boards in it: A show-accurate 1984 board
You've overthinking it. Stop right here, and ship it. :)[/quote]
In my defense, I'm at work right now.  I have nothing *better* to do than sit here and overthink things.  :)

Sodboy13

« Reply #1008 on: October 28, 2009, 05:05:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'229363\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 01:10 PM\']If I understand his explanation correctly, there are eight different 'configurations' (which I am interpreting as '18-frame screenshots), and the game randomly chooses three of them for each play-through.  During the game, instead of each individual slide rotating, the whole board rotates between these three screenshots.[/quote]

If you understand his explanation correctly, then this game really is a failure pile on a sadness disc.  Not taking the time to randomize each square individually, but instead, randomizing the board in a way that practically guarantees breaking the game balance (not that the slapdash approach to the prizes didn't do that already) is, once again, beyond lazy.  I'm beginning to think that if JC spent half the time on the actual product that he did kneeling and bobbing on G-R, we might actually have had an enjoyable gaming experience here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 05:06:15 PM by Sodboy13 »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1009 on: October 28, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'229364\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 01:37 PM\']Most of us seem to agree on the basic point, though: It wasn't hard to get this right. Even taking away the little nitpicky things like not playing the "right" theme music or not maintaining the "board spin" loop sound or whatever, the basic, fundamental aspects of the game were easy to replicate if they cared enough to do it., and they still farked it up. Curt cared enough eight years or whatever ago, on no budget, a way shorter dev cycle, and no incentive to make money from his efforts.[/quote]

Maybe they should've hired Curt. :)

Shouldn't they feel pretty bad if they, as hired  "professional" programmers, can't code a program better than ONE PERSON who casually coded the same program in 2000? I guess they would, if they actually cared.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:42:01 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bob Zager

« Reply #1010 on: October 28, 2009, 06:56:46 PM »
Sorry to shift away from the PYL talk, but Travis Schario (aka UnclePlinko), is showing off his concept for a "Super Deluxe," box game edition of TPIR, which he broke down into a master game, plus add-on games.  Here is the link to start:

http://www.travisschario.com/games.html

You then click the box art design shown, to see what the game boards will look like, if his idea is produced.  Remember, this is just a concept!  Neither Endless Games, nor any other company is committed to licensing this neat concept.

pacdude

« Reply #1011 on: October 28, 2009, 06:57:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'229370\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 05:05 PM\']this game really is a failure pile on a sadness disc[/quote]

Patton Oswald is smiling.

I've tried to (badly) code PYL in my spare time. When I finally sat down and coded PYL in 2003, I didn't know what the hell I was really doing. Sadly, that POS that Fremantle told me to remove from my website is tons better than their retail endeavor. Curt's is, by far, the best version of the game, but this wasn't a hard game to make decent and fun.

chad1m

« Reply #1012 on: October 28, 2009, 07:01:11 PM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'229375\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 06:57 PM\']Sadly, that POS that Fremantle told me to remove from my website is tons better than their retail endeavor.[/quote]Nah. Now Pineapple Remix? That's a different story. ;)

pacdude

« Reply #1013 on: October 28, 2009, 07:04:13 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'229376\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 07:01 PM\'][quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'229375\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 06:57 PM\']Sadly, that POS that Fremantle told me to remove from my website is tons better than their retail endeavor.[/quote]Nah. Now Pineapple Remix? That's a different story. ;)
[/quote]

Anything I made before Deal or No Deal is, IMO, a steaming pile, so duly noted.

clemon79

« Reply #1014 on: October 28, 2009, 07:05:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'229374\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 03:56 PM\']Remember, this is just a concept!  Neither Endless Games, nor any other company is committed to licensing this neat concept.[/quote]
Nor will they, looking at the manufacturing costs of some of the in-box components. But it's fun that he put it all out there. I just wouldn't hold my breath towards seeing it in stores anytime soon. :)

uncleplinko

« Reply #1015 on: October 28, 2009, 08:42:07 PM »
Zager, thanks for bringing my concept to the attention of the boards.

Lemon, Endless is going back in time and reproducing the slidey-answer "Feud" board.  What prevents them from spending similar monies to produce a "Plinko" board?

Keep up the discussion though.  I do want to hear everyone's thoughts.
HomeGameEntertainment.com
"Bringing The Contestant Experience Home"

clemon79

« Reply #1016 on: October 28, 2009, 10:41:05 PM »
[quote name=\'uncleplinko\' post=\'229383\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 05:42 PM\']Lemon, Endless is going back in time and reproducing the slidey-answer "Feud" board.  What prevents them from spending similar monies to produce a "Plinko" board?[/quote]
Well, besides the fact that the Plinko board is used for a tiny bit of the overall game and the Feud board is the whole game, that was actually just the tip of the iceberg. I also see: a countdown timer, a calculator (trust me: never happen), special dice for Let 'Em Roll, a totally unnecessary dice cup, and all kinds of special one-shot card decks.

The interesting thing about your original design (indeed, the thing that made it financially viable for Endless to do) was that most of the games could be played using a limited set of parts.

But I wish you good luck and Godspeed in your search for a publisher.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #1017 on: October 29, 2009, 12:48:10 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'229344\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 10:48 AM\']I don't know if the Ludia people have ever posted here, but it seems awkward that they'd only post on the G-R forums for a non-PiR game.[/quote]
I wouldn't swear to this, but I think JC was already a member of GR.net, so that could explain that.
This signature is currently under construction.

dazztardly

« Reply #1018 on: October 29, 2009, 02:17:08 AM »
I always thought a plinko piggy bank would be a cute novelty

ten96lt

« Reply #1019 on: October 29, 2009, 04:55:43 AM »
I don't see how the theme music would be a legal issue. I'm sure they could get it from some die hard GS fans who would be thrilled with just having their name in the special thanks or something during the credits.