Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464400 times)

uncamark

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2007, 12:53:10 PM »
While watching VH1 overnight ("I Hate My 30s"--cute if uneven show), I saw a Hasbro commercial for the "...5th Grader?" box game.  Begins with clips from the show with the theme playing in the background and then cuts to a family playing the game and a little girl saying, "What do you know about 4th Grade Math, Dad?"  Dad looks uncomfortable.

It is so rare seeing a spot for a game show licensed game, especially one that is currently on the air.  (The "Name That Tune" electronic game and, more recently, the "LMAD" DVD game ads aired long after those shows left the air.)

BrandonFG

« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'160167\' date=\'Aug 10 2007, 12:53 PM\']
It is so rare seeing a spot for a game show licensed game, especially one that is currently on the air.  (The "Name That Tune" electronic game and, more recently, the "LMAD" DVD game ads aired long after those shows left the air.)
[/quote]
Was that even commonplace during the original game show heyday of the 70s and 80s? From my years of watching games, the only time I ever saw a plug was when the host or announcer would mention that all contestants receive the game. Jeopardy used to do it well into the late-90s, before they switched to the cash as consolation format.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2007, 12:48:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'160183\' date=\'Aug 10 2007, 02:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'160167\' date=\'Aug 10 2007, 12:53 PM\']
[/quote]
Was that even commonplace during the original game show heyday of the 70s and 80s? From my years of watching games, the only time I ever saw a plug was when the host or announcer would mention that all contestants receive the game. Jeopardy used to do it well into the late-90s, before they switched to the cash as consolation format.
[/quote]

Nope.  Milton Bradley made almost all of them and the view was obviously that the show and the name on the box was all the promotion they needed.

alfonzos

« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2007, 04:24:06 PM »
Milton Bradley ran ads for Concentration (I remember this one because the puzzle used in the commercial was "Behind the Eight Ball") and Shenanigans (The theme played as background music) after the shows were canceled.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Bob Zager

« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2007, 12:06:36 PM »
Amazon.com is now listing a "collectors" set of three of Imagination's Family Feud DVD games, including the forthcoming "Movie" edition, in a tin box.  It's supposed to be available soon, for $39.99.

However, there is also a listing for a different collectors set of Imagination DVD games, for the same price, but if you look at the illustration of the container (by clicking the link below), it shows a container listing ten DVD game titles, including most of what's available now, plus What's My Line?, Beat the Clock, and To Tell the Truth among them!  In Order to Win is listed as well, which plays like a game show, but isn't based on an actual program.

http://www.amazon.com/Imagination-Internat...9719&sr=1-5

tpirfan28

« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2007, 12:18:14 PM »
Small nit: Why is the 2nd edition in the tin, when there is a 3rd edition currently out?

That'll be worth it, considering it's *10* titles (approx. $4 each).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvwxman

« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'161881\' date=\'Aug 24 2007, 12:18 PM\']
Small nit: Why is the 2nd edition in the tin, when there is a 3rd edition currently out?

That'll be worth it, considering it's *10* titles (approx. $4 each).
[/quote]
Because it's an easy way to unload unsold stock.

It's a great move , though I can't see why someone would pay $40 when they didn't want to pay $20, regardless of the price=per-gameshow-ratio.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chad1m

« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'161889\' date=\'Aug 24 2007, 01:41 PM\']
I can't see why someone would pay $40 when they didn't want to pay $20, regardless of the price=per-gameshow-ratio.
[/quote]

I didn't want to pay $20 for one of these, but I will surely pay double that for nine more.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2007, 05:25:20 PM »
And if the games are all lousy, as most people have indicated, you've just wasted another $20 for nine worthless games.  What's your gain here?

It'd be the same thing if someone didn't like Domino's Pizza, but thought...Hmm...1 medium is $13.99, but I can get 2 more for only $1.01!  What a deal!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 05:25:58 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2007, 06:01:12 PM »
Fools and their money and all that.

That said, if you like three of the ten enough that you would have purchased them piecemeal, you're ahead on the deal, right?

(but, yes, the slim likelyhood of three of the ten not sucking dog balls is well-taken.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Bob Zager

« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2007, 12:10:30 PM »
The online store unclesgames.com is now showing the Silver Anniversary Deluxe WOF game:

http://www.unclesgames.com/product_info.php/products_id/9845

Also, Techno Source's website shows a news story regarding it's future AYSTAFG handheld game:

http://www.technosourcehk.com/inthenews.php

Though you can't enlarge the image shown, it looks like it incorporates a touch-screen, as they did with their Sudoku/Kakaro handheld games.

tpirfan28

« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2007, 12:14:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'162019\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 12:10 PM\']
The online store unclesgames.com is now showing the Silver Anniversary Deluxe WOF game:

http://www.unclesgames.com/product_info.php/products_id/9845
[/quote]
+1 to the company for including the re-creation of the wheel... -1 for not going the extra step to include the extra wedges.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2007, 01:04:29 PM »
That actually looks pretty nice, although I would've included more puzzle borders (to suit the changing theme weeks), or a cardboard cutout of the LED border. But that's just my minor cosmetic quibble.

I like the die cut on the box, showing the wheel.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2007, 01:52:26 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'162020\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 09:14 AM\']
+1 to the company for including the re-creation of the wheel... -1 for not going the extra step to include the extra wedges.
[/quote]
You guys are really going to have to get past this "extra wedges" thing. There are not NEARLY enough people who care to justify the expense. And I always hear people complain like this:
So I bought the WOF game yesterday, and it didn't have the extra wedges! But I'll totally buy the next one they put out, and maybe that one will!
Which should tell you something.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2007, 02:32:22 PM »
I saw it up close in a Borders 2 weeks back, and believe me, that wheel was NOT made of anything resembling a metal.

"Let's take the blue wheel, spray paint it silver, and call it the Silver Anniversary Edition!"

I knew it couldn't be metal when the lighter half of the box was the half with the wheel.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.