Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464131 times)

narzo

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1050 on: November 06, 2009, 01:15:40 AM »
If you go to the ITunes store there is now a "Tic Tad Dough" game in the app section.  Looks OK but haven't tried it yet.  Just downloading it now.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1051 on: November 06, 2009, 01:39:13 AM »
For those searching, spell it right: "Tic Tac Dough." At first I was like "well, THAT got taken down fast... :)

Surprisingly, it looks quite legit and licensed. I'll be keen to hear a review, and I'd drop two bones on it if it ends up being good.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

narzo

« Reply #1052 on: November 06, 2009, 01:54:01 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'229946\' date=\'Nov 6 2009, 12:39 AM\']For those searching, spell it right: "Tic Tac Dough." At first I was like "well, THAT got taken down fast... :)

Surprisingly, it looks quite legit and licensed. I'll be keen to hear a review, and I'd drop two bones on it if it ends up being good.[/quote]

It's worth 2 bucks.  Animation is on OK, Nintendo 64 era.  Questions are all multiple choice.  Bonus round is strange, it's not play to 1k and you win.  It's play as long as you get money and stop when you feel like it.  Get "tic and tac" and you get a thousand bucks.

Here's the oddity, when you launch the game and the "credits" come up you see one animation for "universal".  I though Sony owned the rights to this as part of the B&E package.  Does NBC have it now?

chad1m

« Reply #1053 on: November 06, 2009, 02:02:28 AM »
The game appears to be a port of a previously released cell phone game. You're greeted with a (surprisingly) beautiful midi-ish rendition of the theme music. There's an option for one or two player mode. The graphics are really good, which you'll see when you create your chatacter to play. The familiar category boop along with the think music is in the game. The prize for a center square correct answer is $500; all others are worth $200. Also in each game is a Special Red Category, which is hidden until you select it. (So far, I've encountered Double or Nothing and Secret Category.)

There's a good range of trivia, difficult and easy, though most of it seems to be about recent happenings. The AI is pretty average. The Bonus Round is faithful to the show except for one odd wrinkle.. if you receive "Tic" and "Tac", $1,000 is added to the bank of what you've won so far and you're given the option to earn more money. You can quit if you're afraid of running into the dragon.

I'd definitely recommend plopping down $1.99 on this. It's all pretty faithful, especially for an iPhone game based on a 70s-80s game show most people probably don't remember.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1054 on: November 06, 2009, 09:30:29 AM »
It sounds pretty similar to the Verizon version of the game (all the way down to the bonus round), which I enjoyed, except for the fact that the questions ranged from simple to ridiculously obscure.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Fedya

« Reply #1055 on: November 06, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »
Better than the actual show, where the questions ranged from the simple to the ridiculously simple.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #1056 on: November 06, 2009, 09:57:01 AM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'229948\' date=\'Nov 6 2009, 01:02 AM\']There's a good range of trivia, difficult and easy, though most of it seems to be about recent happenings. The AI is pretty average. The Bonus Round is faithful to the show except for one odd wrinkle.. if you receive "Tic" and "Tac", $1,000 is added to the bank of what you've won so far and you're given the option to earn more money. You can quit if you're afraid of running into the dragon.[/quote]
Cool.  That way, people who want to stick to the original rules can play it like that (stop and declare a win as soon as the bank reaches/exceeds $1,000), and people who don't give a hoot how ol' Winkster did it can play with rules that might be more interesting to them.

I approve, and would be forced to consider this app if...you know, I cared enough about my image (or didn't care enough about my money) to carry iJunk.

clemon79

« Reply #1057 on: November 06, 2009, 11:28:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'229963\' date=\'Nov 6 2009, 06:57 AM\']I approve, and would be forced to consider this app if...you know, I cared enough about my image (or didn't care enough about my money) to carry iJunk.[/quote]
Ah, there's no snobbery like iSnobbery.

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #1058 on: November 06, 2009, 11:46:12 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'229947\' date=\'Nov 6 2009, 12:54 AM\']Here's the oddity, when you launch the game and the "credits" come up you see one animation for "universal".  I though Sony owned the rights to this as part of the B&E package.  Does NBC have it now?[/quote]
You might have forgotten that the format of Tic Tac Dough originated in the '50s.  After the scandals, NBC bought all the B&E formats of the time, including TTD (this is how NBC wound up owning Concentration, BTW).  Due to this, B&E had to license the format from NBC when it was revived; therefore, IIRC Sony only owns the episode rights, while NBC Universal (for now, if the rumors of Comcast wanting to sell the NBC Television Network prove true) owns the format rights.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

chrisholland03

« Reply #1059 on: November 07, 2009, 12:59:08 PM »
I picked up FF 2010 last night...it's ok.  I'll definitely get several months of play out of it.  

Biggest disappointment -- some of the questions are really lame.  No offense to any of the question writers here.  

'How many months does it usually take to house train a dog'

Top 8 answers on the board.  I'm estimating 12 months as the maximum answer.  Guessing a high percentage of people said 1, 3, 6, 9 and 12 months.  So I'm almost guaranteed to guess all the of the answers before striking out.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1060 on: November 07, 2009, 01:47:40 PM »
[quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'230033\' date=\'Nov 7 2009, 01:59 PM\']Biggest disappointment -- some of the questions are really lame.  No offense to any of the question writers here.  

'How many months does it usually take to house train a dog'[/quote]

The first computer release in the mid-80s had this problem of apparently drawing its questions from one source, mixing surveys normally reserved for Fast Money in with the front game. This problem was corrected by the time Feud was released to the Super Nintendo, but now in 2009, we can't do this? After GlobalStar's abomination, I thought I might get a title I can enjoy playing against my friends & family, but it looks like it's back to being the emcee only again.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

mxc0427

« Reply #1061 on: November 08, 2009, 02:08:03 PM »
Oh, on a side note for Press Your Luck, the board music DOES loop in the PC version!!!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1062 on: November 08, 2009, 09:45:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'230036\' date=\'Nov 7 2009, 12:47 PM\']After GlobalStar's abomination, I thought I might get a title I can enjoy playing against my friends & family, but it looks like it's back to being the emcee only again.[/quote]
It was definitely better than the Global Star release.  It's basically the iWin version(s) with a graphical update. Those versions were pretty good, so I'm fine with FF 2010.

The AI isn't that smart, but at least, for the most part, they give answers relevant to the survey.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1063 on: November 09, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'230033\' date=\'Nov 7 2009, 01:59 PM\']Top 8 answers on the board.  I'm estimating 12 months as the maximum answer.  Guessing a high percentage of people said 1, 3, 6, 9 and 12 months.  So I'm almost guaranteed to guess all the of the answers before striking out.[/quote]
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'230036\' date=\'Nov 7 2009, 02:47 PM\']This problem was corrected by the time Feud was released to the Super Nintendo, but now in 2009, we can't do this?[/quote]
Apparently not -- I have both a Feud board game (Endless Games 1st Edition, I think) and a DVD game (with Richard Karn) in which it's not unheard of to get questions with numeric answers in the main game. And in those instances, they had to specifically designate them as main game questions.

clemon79

« Reply #1064 on: November 09, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'230199\' date=\'Nov 9 2009, 09:45 AM\']Apparently not -- I have both a Feud board game (Endless Games 1st Edition, I think)[/quote]
Not really a fair comparison, though. The Endless versions of Feud (at least, the first couple) have far and away the shiattiest content I have seen this side of the first edition of High Rollers.