Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464113 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1095 on: December 16, 2009, 03:15:08 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'232438\' date=\'Dec 16 2009, 10:56 AM\']I'm assuming, then, that the game costs $2.[/quote]
Looking at the App Store right now, that appears to be precisely the case. $1.99.

/according to the reviews it's also crash-riffic as hell
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1096 on: December 28, 2009, 12:25:53 AM »
Alright, I just got the Price is Right 2010 calendar from Borders for $7. It's a pull flap system, so each day has a page with perforations that you tear and lift up (like the advent calendar with the chocolates). There are 7 pricing games included, and some play differently from the show.

More or Less, Money Game, Bargain Bar (is it getting revived without the Barker moniker?), Most Expensive, and One Wrong Price are played just like the TV show. Take Two and Shopping Spree are played a little differently. Take Two's prizes either have a "Yes!" or a "Try Again" on the back, and you open flaps until you get a matching pair.Shopping Spree is played until you either open the three good flaps, or until you reveal a "Better Luck Next Time", which obviously means you've uncovered the least expensive prize. So, for the most part, they've taken all of the manual math out of the games.

Some days are not pricing game days, and just contain fun facts about the show.

Verdict:
Price is Right games, for the most part, seem to follow a familiar pattern- they either have execution problems or are bare boned. This has both. The pricing game lineup isn't great (Most Expensive AND One Wrong Price?), and some games changed their execution to be nothing more than a glorified scratch off ticket. I got it for 50% off, and that's enough for me to keep it on my desk for 2010. If it was full price, it might have stayed on the shelf. I hope it's better if a 2011 release comes along.

Grade: B-

Other games that would have fit the perforated flap system:
Secret X
Lucky $even
Showcase
Contestant's Row (Make each flap one of the bids, and given the prize, have the player choose which is the winning bid)
Grand Game
Danger Price (which Shopping Spree plays more like)
Cliff Hangers
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 12:28:37 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

benwachstein

« Reply #1097 on: December 28, 2009, 06:18:56 AM »
hmmmmm

pacdude

« Reply #1098 on: December 28, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »
[quote name=\'benwachstein\' post=\'233075\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 06:18 AM\']hmmmmm[/quote]

The Crash Test Dummies, everyone. Let's give them a big hand.

So, I'm getting an iPod Touch in the next few days. I've read reviews about Millionaire, and Family Feud, and Tic Tac Dough here. Are there any other game show games that are worth getting?

chad1m

« Reply #1099 on: December 28, 2009, 12:43:01 PM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'233079\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 12:23 PM\']Are there any other game show games that are worth getting?[/quote]As I mentioned in a review on my blog last week, I quite enjoyed Cash Cab. And especially if you're into GSN's Oodles, Catch 21 is a fun game with which to pass the time away.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #1100 on: December 28, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'233084\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 12:43 PM\'][quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'233079\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 12:23 PM\']Are there any other game show games that are worth getting?[/quote]As I mentioned in a review on my blog last week, I quite enjoyed Cash Cab. And especially if you're into GSN's Oodles, Catch 21 is a fun game with which to pass the time away.
[/quote]
Also, 1 vs. 100. Best game show app I've had on my iPod, by far.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #1101 on: December 28, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'233074\' date=\'Dec 27 2009, 11:25 PM\']More or Less, Money Game, Bargain Bar (is it getting revived without the Barker moniker?), Most Expensive, and One Wrong Price are played just like the TV show.[/quote]
Nope, it's dead.  D-E-D dead.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1102 on: December 28, 2009, 06:02:27 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'233074\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 12:25 AM\']Other games that would have fit the perforated flap system:[/quote]I'd have to think Punchboard would be one of the better games when it comes to something like this...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1103 on: December 28, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'233114\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 03:02 PM\']I'd have to think Punchboard would be one of the better games when it comes to something like this...[/quote]
You'd think, but remember you have to be able to shrink the whole thing down to roughly a 6"x4" form factor, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1104 on: December 29, 2009, 01:53:14 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'233117\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 05:19 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'233114\' date=\'Dec 28 2009, 03:02 PM\']I'd have to think Punchboard would be one of the better games when it comes to something like this...[/quote]
You'd think, but remember you have to be able to shrink the whole thing down to roughly a 6"x4" form factor, too.
[/quote]

Considering the size of the flaps in other games, you could comfortably do a 20 hole punchboard, assuming we take out the small prize element and give the player 4 punches. I think one of the things they were going after, though, were games where they could include prize copy. To include it with punchboard, you'd have to make it a 12 or 15 hole board on an already crowded paper.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Sodboy13

« Reply #1105 on: January 06, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
For those interested in such things, Deal Wheel DOND and Big Spinny Wheel with Tiny LCD Screen WOF have both made it to the Clearance section of your local Target.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:36:06 PM by Sodboy13 »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

mxc0427

« Reply #1106 on: January 06, 2010, 09:37:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'233744\' date=\'Jan 6 2010, 06:35 PM\']For those interested in such things, Deal Wheel DOND and Big Spinny Wheel with Tiny LCD Screen WOF have both made it to the Clearance section of your local Target.[/quote]

I have the Deal Wheel version of DoND. It's fun. I know they also have a handheld version with an electronic deal wheel.

Bob Zager

« Reply #1107 on: January 18, 2010, 01:39:33 PM »
While doing an online search for information regarding next month's Toy Fair in New York, I'd stumbled across a newspaper article about a brand new box game based on AYSTAFG!  Apparently, the game may have been available in some areas during the Christmas season, but I hadn't seen it until now.

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/lagrangepark...5th-Grader-game

After reading the article, I'd stopped by my local Walmart store, and they DID have it on the counter, for about $20.  This game uses the new payoff system, introduced on the daily syndicated show.

I like when the home versions are updated, when the shows are updated!  Just wish whomever holds the box game rights to WWTBAM, would release an updated box game.

mxc0427

« Reply #1108 on: January 18, 2010, 10:12:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'234523\' date=\'Jan 18 2010, 01:39 PM\']While doing an online search for information regarding next month's Toy Fair in New York, I'd stumbled across a newspaper article about a brand new box game based on AYSTAFG!  Apparently, the game may have been available in some areas during the Christmas season, but I hadn't seen it until now.

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/lagrangepark...5th-Grader-game

After reading the article, I'd stopped by my local Walmart store, and they DID have it on the counter, for about $20.  This game uses the new payoff system, introduced on the daily syndicated show.

I like when the home versions are updated, when the shows are updated!  Just wish whomever holds the box game rights to WWTBAM, would release an updated box game.[/quote]

5th Grader has two games out on the Wii, both using the old prize structure. It would be nice if the new version uses the new rules!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1109 on: January 19, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »
[quote name=\'mxc0427\' post=\'234544\' date=\'Jan 18 2010, 10:12 PM\']5th Grader has two games out on the Wii, both using the old prize structure. It would be nice if the new version uses the new rules![/quote]
The syndicated show started in September.  The 'Game Time' version of 5th Grader was released a month later.  There's absolutely no way the changes could've been done.  Maybe you'll get your wish in time for the 2010 holiday season if the syndicated version sees a second season...