Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464107 times)

Jeremy Nelson

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1140 on: February 13, 2010, 12:48:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'235730\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 06:47 PM\']Well, a year after it was first announced, the Wheel of Fortune 3rd edition, from Pressman is finally available!  I saw it in a local Kmart store for $12.99!

Personally, I think the box art is the best since the original version done in 1985.[/quote]
Anybody see a pic online yet? No K-marts near where I am.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1141 on: February 13, 2010, 01:06:09 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'235819\' date=\'Feb 12 2010, 09:48 PM\']Anybody see a pic online yet? No K-marts near where I am.[/quote]You sir, should count yourself lucky. Whenever I re-up on my license plate/tabs, I duck into the KMart that's in the same complex. And I just get the willies.

(The thing that really hacks me off is that an arcade was next door; games were on nickel play plus a $2 entry. It closed up years ago. Best entertainment value in the entirety of the Kent valley.)

If I had the device, I'd take a look at Word Party for the iGadget. Thirty second timer, a dictionary, and a button for "score" or "pass/wrong". What more do you need?
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Bob Zager

« Reply #1142 on: February 13, 2010, 09:51:39 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'235819\' date=\'Feb 13 2010, 12:48 AM\'][quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'235730\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 06:47 PM\']Well, a year after it was first announced, the Wheel of Fortune 3rd edition, from Pressman is finally available!  I saw it in a local Kmart store for $12.99!

Personally, I think the box art is the best since the original version done in 1985.[/quote]
Anybody see a pic online yet? No K-marts near where I am.
[/quote]

Here is a pic from the Pressman website:

http://shop.pressmantoy.com/products/produ...3-06/2422.0.1.1

Sodboy13

« Reply #1143 on: February 13, 2010, 04:07:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'235730\' date=\'Feb 11 2010, 06:47 PM\']Well, a year after it was first announced, the Wheel of Fortune 3rd edition, from Pressman is finally available!  I saw it in a local Kmart store for $12.99!

Nifty box outside, same s***ty adaptation of gameplay inside, right?
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1144 on: February 13, 2010, 04:12:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'235848\' date=\'Feb 13 2010, 01:07 PM\']Nifty box outside, same s***ty adaptation of gameplay inside, right?[/quote]
S***ty how? It's Hangman. What the heck do you do to spice up friggin' Hangman?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Marc412

« Reply #1145 on: February 13, 2010, 04:42:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'235849\' date=\'Feb 13 2010, 04:12 PM\'][quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'235848\' date=\'Feb 13 2010, 01:07 PM\']Nifty box outside, same s***ty adaptation of gameplay inside, right?[/quote]
[/quote]
Add a colorful wheel.  Play for cash and prizes.  Make players pay to pick vowels.  Introduce at least one gimmick per year.  Oh wait, was that a rhetorical question?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1146 on: February 13, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'235849\' date=\'Feb 13 2010, 03:12 PM\'][quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'235848\' date=\'Feb 13 2010, 01:07 PM\']Nifty box outside, same s***ty adaptation of gameplay inside, right?[/quote]
[/quote]
Now we all know that in the long run, it's all about the $$. Pressman is better off taking the mold from the '85 version and adding a new coat of paint to make it look pretty- we shouldn't have expected anything different, especially for a game that has never really changed its core rules. But that doesn't mean that the execution is great, nor was it in '85 (e.g. the crappy cardboard and crayon used letterboard and the puzzle book)

I hope you weren't expecting a great deal of improvement. As much as I'd like to see a larger puzzleboard, a wheel with additional spaces, and a used letter/answer system that works (Like Tyco's), I know that it's not gonna happen anytime soon. Until then, you're going to just have to get along by Frankensteining a bunch of different editions together to create your dream version.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1147 on: February 13, 2010, 08:58:59 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'235854\' date=\'Feb 13 2010, 04:30 PM\']a used letter/answer system that works (Like Tyco's)[/quote]
I'll spot you this; Tyco definitely did the used letter system better. But the rest of it I just don't think would improve the game experience that much, or merits the additional manufacturing expense.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

« Reply #1148 on: February 14, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'235849\' date=\'Feb 13 2010, 03:12 PM\'][quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'235848\' date=\'Feb 13 2010, 01:07 PM\']Nifty box outside, same s***ty adaptation of gameplay inside, right?[/quote]
[/quote]

Some sort of bonus round, maybe?  A non-broken money distribution on the wheel?  I don't feel like that's asking too much - I'm not asking for toss-up buzzers, a separate bonus wheel, or Harry Friedman's Technicolor Wedge O' The Week Brought To You By Hot Pockets.

I mean, if all you want is Hangman, you can get Hangman.  In fact, you can get it in numerous forms.  But if it's Wheel of Fortune, I feel like there should be a slightly better semblance of gameplay, and it wouldn't kill Pressman (or up the price of the contents significantly) if they just made a few slight additions and alterations.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1149 on: February 14, 2010, 09:18:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'235883\' date=\'Feb 14 2010, 05:04 PM\']A non-broken money distribution on the wheel?[/quote]
I'll give you this. The $5K space is out of place. $1K would probably be more appropriate

[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'235883\' date=\'Feb 14 2010, 05:04 PM\']Some sort of bonus round, maybe?[/quote]
Here's the thing- in game manufacturers' eyes, the bonus round doesn't count. By the time you've gotten that far, you've already decided on a winner. Secondly, it takes all but one player out of the game. That's why most game shows with solo bonus rounds don't include one in the home game. You'll notice that only the bonus rounds with multiple players (Password Plus, Pyramid, Family Feud) include a real, full fledged bonus that's fun to play. No dice.

Here's the thing: Pressman doesn't care what you do, or how you interpret the rules. Wanna make the vowels $500? Go for it. Pull another puzzle to use as the bonus? By all means, do it. Make the spaces worth ten times their normal amount ? Do it to it! Mostly everybody knows the basic rules to Wheel of Fortune. Pressman simply (and to an extent, lazily) provides the basic materials to help you get started. Where you go from there is up to you. They have the license for the game, and all they have to do is smack that logo on the box with a $15 price tag, and they're gonna sell units, thereby completing their only real objective.

As much as I agree with you that it deserves better treatment than what Pressman gives it, I can only say that I'm just waiting for the day when someone else gets the license.

/Wheel Quick Picks is actually a good interpretation
//Would like to see what Endless could do with a full version
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:20:18 PM by rollercoaster87 »

Sodboy13

« Reply #1150 on: February 15, 2010, 01:02:56 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'235894\' date=\'Feb 14 2010, 08:18 PM\'][quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'235883\' date=\'Feb 14 2010, 05:04 PM\']Some sort of bonus round, maybe?[/quote]
Here's the thing- in game manufacturers' eyes, the bonus round doesn't count. By the time you've gotten that far, you've already decided on a winner. Secondly, it takes all but one player out of the game. That's why most game shows with solo bonus rounds don't include one in the home game. You'll notice that only the bonus rounds with multiple players (Password Plus, Pyramid, Family Feud) include a real, full fledged bonus that's fun to play. No dice.

Here's the thing: Pressman doesn't care what you do, or how you interpret the rules. Wanna make the vowels $500? Go for it. Pull another puzzle to use as the bonus? By all means, do it. Make the spaces worth ten times their normal amount ? Do it to it! Mostly everybody knows the basic rules to Wheel of Fortune. Pressman simply (and to an extent, lazily) provides the basic materials to help you get started. Where you go from there is up to you. They have the license for the game, and all they have to do is smack that logo on the box with a $15 price tag, and they're gonna sell units, thereby completing their only real objective.

As much as I agree with you that it deserves better treatment than what Pressman gives it, I can only say that I'm just waiting for the day when someone else gets the license.

/Wheel Quick Picks is actually a good interpretation
//Would like to see what Endless could do with a full version
[/quote]

Points well said, and well taken.

Regarding your slashie, I think Endless getting a hold of Wheel would result in... well, pretty much just the Quick Picks version, tossed in a shelf-friendly box, maybe a larger wipe-off board, and an inflated price tag.  For a company that's been at this for 12 or 13 years now, Endless still seems to have problems consistently bringing both quality of presentation and content to their games.  The last version of TPIR was great for its versatility, sure, but there was no looking past the fact that you were shelling out $20 for a couple of decks of cards and some wipe off boards, and that one had to add a fair bit of theater of the mind to the proceedings.  Million Dollar Password had the chrome all done quite nicely, but it came with a boatload of words that were just untenable for the faster-paced, simplified nature of the game.  They do seem do have things quite down pat with regular Password, and their release of Card Sharks was also quite good - lots of surveys, nifty playing board, the only minor letdown was getting a pair of cheapie decks of cards inside instead of the custom decks rendered on the box art.  But I think it says quite a bit that, when Endless does get it right, it seems to come across as a happy accident.

/Would love to see the new Password come out in Quick Picks
//$9.99 for that was a freaking steal
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:03:55 AM by Sodboy13 »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1151 on: February 15, 2010, 03:09:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'235904\' date=\'Feb 15 2010, 12:02 AM\']I think it says quite a bit that, when Endless does get it right, it seems to come across as a happy accident.[/quote]
Endless has done a lot of repackaging of old games, and over the years, most of their efforts have been either led to ho-hum or WTF reactions. I can still remember going through that 2nd Edition PiR and initially realizing how much setup was required for each pricing game. Needless to say, I went back to the 1st Edition. Card Sharks & Password have been their only two good efforts.

The Wheel Quick Pick was, IMHO, a pleasant surprise, and Endless seems to do okay when they try a new idea, rather than a repackage. Although I really didn't care for the 2nd Edition Price is Right, I still appreciated the fact that a. it wasn't a repackage, b. they tried to add as much material as they could, and c. they brought in a real fan as a consultant. As for Wheel, even if a full version meant that they'd be enlarging all of the equipment and adding a wheel (or spinner), it'd still be okay- a wipe off board allows you to use your own puzzles without hassle, and they even included little things that other versions have missed, like trips and the Jackpot space.

Endless has shown from time to time that they're capable of making a quality game show home game- we just don't see it as often as we'd like.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 03:15:34 AM by rollercoaster87 »

narzo

« Reply #1152 on: March 16, 2010, 01:33:54 AM »
just got an email from amazon saying the Jeopardy:platinum edition is not available and the order canceled.  Checked the Wheel of Fortune Platinum status, which was supposed to be shipping this week, and it also now says "this item is currently unavailable, we don't know when/if it will be in stock".

weaklink75

« Reply #1153 on: March 29, 2010, 02:28:13 PM »

LA the DJ

« Reply #1154 on: March 29, 2010, 07:44:42 PM »
Just a heads up that GameStop has all the Ubisoft "2010" games for $19.99 this week.
Linky

EDIT: I also found a 10% off code online, which will drop them all to $17.99:
ONLINE ONLY SPECIAL: Enter the code GD10 at checkout to save an extra 10% on the already discounted price of any Game Days title!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:56:29 PM by LA the DJ »
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.