Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464089 times)

mmb5

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1185 on: May 21, 2010, 11:09:47 AM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'241197\' date=\'May 21 2010, 09:37 AM\']This is interesting, and something I've always wondered about, but certainly doesn't explain the reason that Dawson and Combs weren't on the front of the FF boxes, Jim Perry on the $ale box, etc. What was the downside to the host's picture on the game box? I'm probably missing something fairly obvious.[/quote]
Two things I can think of: 1-You would have to pay them, 2-What if the actual series abruptly changed hosts?
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1186 on: May 21, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »
Further, like Password, the game could find a life of its own on shelves, without tying it down to the success or failure of a concurrently running TV show.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1187 on: May 21, 2010, 01:17:32 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'241199\' date=\'May 21 2010, 11:09 AM\']Two things I can think of: 1-You would have to pay them, 2-What if the actual series abruptly changed hosts?[/quote]
And as with any negotiated thing, there are two sides to consider depending on the circumstances.  A host might want too much money (with no facts to go on, I've always imagined that was the deal with Dawson) or a manufacturer might decide that they don't gain anything by having the host on the box.  Some hosts were stars in their own right, but a lot of the greatest game show hosts ever (Jim Perry certainly among that number, Tom Kennedy perhaps the most successful) were never any bigger than whatever show they happened to be doing at the time.

My current favorite weird example, and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this elsewhere, is that the box game for Merv Griffin's Crosswords has a picture of Ty Treadway.  Ty is not identified at all, and there's only a passing reference on the box bottom to the fact that the game was even a TV show.  I have this amusing notion that years from now, somebody will see a copy of the game and assume that the guy on the box must be Merv Griffin.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

alfonzos

« Reply #1188 on: May 21, 2010, 05:30:34 PM »
Jack Kelly, host of the original $otC, actually objected to being on the cover art despite the fact that Milton Bradley covered his face with glasses and a mustache. A second version of the game has the host cropped from the photo.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

chad1m

« Reply #1189 on: May 24, 2010, 06:13:10 PM »
For anyone looking to buy it, my About.com blog this week is a review of The Price is Right on PS3's PSN.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:13:32 PM by chad1m »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1190 on: June 06, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Five Below, a mid-Atlantic chain which has no item above $5, opened half a dozen stores in Ohio this weekend.  I bought the Lingo board game for $5.  They had quite a few Imagination Games titles, which made me wonder if other Five Belows have the Cash Cab game.  (I might venture to at least one more Five Below tomorrow, to see how their stock varies from where I was at.)  Until today, I had not seen the Lingo box game in a brick-and-mortar store.

This Five Below also had the Press Your Luck DVD game and a Millionaire/Deal or No Deal DVD 2-pack for sale.  I didn't look for a price since I have all 3 games.  At worst, $5 each.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1191 on: June 06, 2010, 03:02:47 PM »
Wheel of Fortune has a new non-Apple mobile game out now. From the looks of it, the graphics have been updated, the $1M wedge is included, and there seems to be some sort of trophy/achievement system as well.The Sony Mobile website has a pic slideshow on the "phone" on the right of this page.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 03:04:43 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #1192 on: June 06, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'241991\' date=\'Jun 6 2010, 01:42 PM\']Five Below, a mid-Atlantic chain which has no item above $5, opened half a dozen stores in Ohio this weekend.  I bought the Lingo board game for $5.[/quote]
Official GSN Lingo?  Because I've seen a generic Lingo game at a local game shop before.

A Five Below near me was selling a Dancing With the Stars card game.  If I had cared enough, I would've bought it just to see how it worked.

/Looked nothing like the MNF card game.
//Which could've doubled as the MNF drinking game
This signature is currently under construction.

J.R.

« Reply #1193 on: June 06, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'242017\' date=\'Jun 6 2010, 09:49 PM\']//Which could've doubled as the MNF drinking game[/quote]
Nobody could survive if you had to take a shot every time Jon Gruden goes "THIS GUY!"
-Joe Raygor

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1194 on: June 07, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'242017\' date=\'Jun 6 2010, 10:49 PM\'][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'241991\' date=\'Jun 6 2010, 01:42 PM\']Five Below, a mid-Atlantic chain which has no item above $5, opened half a dozen stores in Ohio this weekend.  I bought the Lingo board game for $5.[/quote]
Official GSN Lingo?  Because I've seen a generic Lingo game at a local game shop before.[/quote]
Yup, official.  Game play is reverse Lingo--the letters and positions are revealed and then players take stabs at the word by writing their guess down.  The faster it's done, the more points earned.  The most points after 4 words and a 5-word, 30-second "speed round" wins.

I went to another Five Below today.  They had more game show stuff than the other store--Password 5th Edition Quick Play, the Moment of Truth card game (for a buck, and still overpriced), the Family Feud PC game from 4 years ago, and a 5th Grader game book like those from 20-30 years ago which used a yellow pen to reveal right and wrong answers.

weaklink75

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1196 on: June 08, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'242114\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 01:55 PM\']Mattel is going to be making Minute to Win It games...[/quote]
Erm, isn't the whole POINT of the show that everyone already has the MtWI home game strewn all over their house? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1197 on: June 08, 2010, 05:49:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'242116\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 05:19 PM\'][quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'242114\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 01:55 PM\']Mattel is going to be making Minute to Win It games...[/quote]
Erm, isn't the whole POINT of the show that everyone already has the MtWI home game strewn all over their house? :)
[/quote]
Who didn't say the contents of the game box wouldn't be a gift card to Albertson's with a letter saying "Go buy the stuff yourself"? ;-)

A book of stunts to try at home would likely be less expensive and more useful...

Bob Zager

« Reply #1198 on: June 08, 2010, 08:12:56 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'242114\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 04:55 PM\']Mattel is going to be making Minute to Win It games...[/quote]
It sounds like different games, based on different stunts are going to be released.  Kinda like how Milton Bradley released separate games based on elements of Shenanigans--such as "Bobbin' Noggin" and "Where's Willie."

Although "Operation," was one of the games on Shenanigans, the board game already existed before the show.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1199 on: June 08, 2010, 10:17:43 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'242118\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 04:49 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'242116\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 05:19 PM\'][quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'242114\' date=\'Jun 8 2010, 01:55 PM\']Mattel is going to be making Minute to Win It games...[/quote]
[/quote]
A book of stunts to try at home would likely be less expensive and more useful...
[/quote]"
Agreed. A box game goes against all of the "interactivity" that NBC has been pushing so hard. A book with all the stunts and a set of home friendly/head to head rules should do the trick.

But I could possibly see them doing what Double Dare did with their box game- a bunch of interchangeable pieces to create roughly 50 physical challenges. Even to this day, that set gets considerable play in our dorm living room, and people love to play with it (even more so when they're all drunk). But considering that game is pretty "high quality" in the stunt board game scene, and that I rarely have faith in board game manufacturers anymore, I put the odds on this at 100-1, since it's not cost effective.

/If it were Pressman, they'd recycle it
//Just paint the pieces blue and black, not hot pink
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:18:37 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.