Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464062 times)

Matt Miller

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1305 on: August 13, 2010, 01:48:15 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82 @ Aug 12 2010 10:16 PM\']The only thing I never liked was on Sharedata's Wheel bonus round, you only had one shot at the puzzle...you typed it in wrong, tough cookies.[/quote]What version(s) did Sharedata produce? I know Gametek did the 16 and 64 bit incarnations. The only one I can think of is the NES versions and I thought those were done by Rare.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 06:14:36 PM by Matt Miller »
Matt

tvmitch

« Reply #1306 on: August 13, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'245847\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 11:33 PM\']But I *don't* know that "the product won't be good." Their track record has simply been such that in my eye they forfeit the benefit of the doubt that it *will* be.[/quote]
The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. I don't mean to sound so pessimistic, and I'll cheer Ludia if they ever put out a polished game as well. But it's all really about how Ludia defines success. If they are perceiving these game show game releases to be successful because they are making adequate profit (success = profit), then the company will continue their current status quo. They are most certainly not defining success by the integrity of their games, or we would be seeing constant improvement on that front.
You should follow me on Twitter

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #1307 on: August 13, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'245856\' date=\'Aug 13 2010, 09:47 AM\']If they are perceiving these game show game releases to be successful because they are making adequate profit (success = profit), then the company will continue their current status quo. They are most certainly not defining success by the integrity of their games, or we would be seeing constant improvement on that front.[/quote]
1) I don't fathom there are many companies out there who don't equate success with profit.
2) Those that do value integrity of their games likely only see it as a way to more profit.
This signature is currently under construction.

RyanCDN

« Reply #1308 on: August 13, 2010, 10:41:52 AM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'245837\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 08:41 PM\']The Ludia games are just not "well done." I do not expect a Madden level of perfection from the Ludia games because the budget for a Press Your Luck game is a fraction of a percent of the big title. Every recent Ludia game just has the laziest mistakes. Lazy, unforgivable mistakes that would not have cost the company one extra dollar to correct.

So when the company has a track record of laziness, there's less anticipation behind a new release, because we all know the product won't be good.[/quote]

I own two of the three title for 2010.  I don't think they are horrible, but I completely agree with what you have said.  I think "not well done" is a great way to put it.  It is such a shame they don't have anyone in their cirle that is somewhat of a game show fan, that can test these things and point out the shortfalls.  I mean, let's face it, the games are not a bargain price title, and often retail for around $40.  When you are paying $40-$60 for a title, I think there should be a little more care taken into the fine details or technical issues.

For me personally, I love TPiR and all, but I thought that FF was probably the better of the games made.  They certainly improved on TPiR from the year prior.  PYL was poor, it should have been a $20 game.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

RyanCDN

« Reply #1309 on: August 13, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'245847\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 10:33 PM\'][quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'245837\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 06:41 PM\']So when the company has a track record of laziness, there's less anticipation behind a new release, because we all know the product won't be good.[/quote]
I didn't see this before, but I'm gonna speak to this, because I think it's an unfair characterization.

Does Ludia have a track record for laziness and cutting corners? Yes. But I have a problem with "we all know the product won't be good." I don't know that. They might pull their head out at some point, start paying attention to QA, and stop paying lip service to the folks who are genuinely trying to help them with their products. Said rectalcraniectomy might even happen with these upcoming releases. I honestly don't know and I'll be the first person to stand up and congratulate them and wish them every success if that turns out to be the case.

But I *don't* know that "the product won't be good." Their track record has simply been such that in my eye they forfeit the benefit of the doubt that it *will* be.
[/quote]

Good point - it would be nice if they listened to some of their customers.  I don't know how much these games were released to target "us", as much as the general consumer.  Perhaps, for the general consumer, they really don't give a damn about it.  "We", as game show fans, obviously can beg to differ in our own ways.

I understand what Mitch said - and I agree with you as well Chris, we can't be 100% certain it won't be good, but seeing what has been done int he past, there certainly are some reservations to it . . . uh yeah, I misread the end of your reply, you bascially just said that.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1310 on: August 13, 2010, 01:30:48 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'245856\' date=\'Aug 13 2010, 06:47 AM\']The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.[/quote]
Precisely so, and this is my point. "Predictor" is the difference between "we all know" and "we can suspect."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SuperMatch93

« Reply #1311 on: August 14, 2010, 06:38:40 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'245842\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 10:07 PM\']Out of curiosity. When did GameTek dissolve? What was their last game show release?

Just curious, thanks. :)[/quote]

They filed for bankruptcy in July '97 and closed the next year. Their last game show game (their last game overall, in fact) was a Nintendo 64 version of Jeopardy! in 1998.
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

vtown7

« Reply #1312 on: August 15, 2010, 07:53:38 AM »
For Canadian readers of this forum who have a large-scale Superstore/Zehrs/Atlantic Save-Easy/Atlantic Super Store/Dominion near them, I picked up a copy of ESPN Jeopardy! last night for the bargain basement price of $3.74.  To be honest, don't really care about the game material, more wanted it just for the buzzer set.

R.

/although I enjoyed the retro graphics on the box

RyanCDN

« Reply #1313 on: August 15, 2010, 11:55:43 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'245909\' date=\'Aug 15 2010, 06:53 AM\']For Canadian readers of this forum who have a large-scale Superstore/Zehrs/Atlantic Save-Easy/Atlantic Super Store/Dominion near them, I picked up a copy of ESPN Jeopardy! last night for the bargain basement price of $3.74.  To be honest, don't really care about the game material, more wanted it just for the buzzer set.

R.

/although I enjoyed the retro graphics on the box[/quote]

As luck would have it, I just got back from a trip home . .. next time I aught to check out the Toys section when I am at the Superstore.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

JayDLewis

« Reply #1314 on: August 16, 2010, 09:31:13 AM »
Didn't know where else to put this, but here's a on-line version of Mastermind

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mastermind/quiz/play
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1315 on: August 18, 2010, 08:43:14 PM »
Just watched an episode of La Roue de la Fortune (France's Wheel of Fortune), and at the end of the show they gave a player a copy of the home game, which I didn't even know they had. Anyways, I went over to ebay France to check it out:

http://annonces.ebay.fr/viewad/Jeux-roue-d...tune/5009697518

A couple of things to note:
-The puzzleboard is only 2 rows long (but then again, on their version, they hardly ever use 3 rows, let alone all 4)
-The game comes with 5 interchangeable wheels, depending on the round. (I think one of them is a bonus wheel, but I could be wrong.)
-No play money...all score is kept on a paper pad.
-Some of the sellers on ebay France sell the full home game, along with what looks to be a travel version.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1316 on: August 18, 2010, 10:36:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'246092\' date=\'Aug 18 2010, 05:43 PM\']-The puzzleboard is only 2 rows long (but then again, on their version, they hardly ever use 3 rows, let alone all 4)[/quote]
Then how did the puzzle cards in the second and third pictures fill three and four rows, respectively?

(Unless there are two puzzles on a side and they flip over, maybe?)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:41:04 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1317 on: August 18, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'246094\' date=\'Aug 18 2010, 09:36 PM\'][quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'246092\' date=\'Aug 18 2010, 05:43 PM\']-The puzzleboard is only 2 rows long (but then again, on their version, they hardly ever use 3 rows, let alone all 4)[/quote]
Then how did the puzzle cards in the second and third pictures fill three and four rows, respectively?

(Unless there are two puzzles on a side and they flip over, maybe?)
[/quote]
You're right: two puzzles a side, and you flip it over. It's just that they don't intertwine, like the WOF 85 home game.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bob Zager

« Reply #1318 on: August 19, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'246092\' date=\'Aug 18 2010, 08:43 PM\']http://annonces.ebay.fr/viewad/Jeux-roue-d...tune/5009697518

-The game comes with 5 interchangeable wheels, depending on the round. (I think one of them is a bonus wheel, but I could be wrong.)[/quote]

I sometimes wondered why Pressman/Milton Bradley/Hasbro versions didn't have a similar concept to this!  I like this better than the interchangeable wedges like the Deluxe WOF from the 1980s!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1319 on: August 19, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »
Ludia has posted their Family Feud Decades page...with a rendering of the Combs Bullseye set. [mrburns] Excellent. [/mrburns]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:27:23 PM by Jeremy Nelson »