Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464016 times)

pacdude

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1485 on: December 13, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »
Hollywood Squares is now available on the App Store for $1.99. It's a pretty direct port from the PC game, it seems. It's a bit more tolerable at such a low price.

My three high points: Tom's not a bad host. The graphics are a nice adaptation. I'm down with the video clues.
My three low points: The questions are, for the most part, insultingly simple. The Ludiaized versions of the real celebrities are really, really bad. Teena Marie could use the $30 to license the melody for the real theme song.

I bought it for $1.99.

As an interesting side note, I noticed that Pipeworks, the developers responsible for WoF and Jeopardy! for Wii also made Merv Griffin's Crosswords for Wii, which is an accurate (maybe too accurate, since that game was subpar at best) depiction of the game. Methinks THQ should snatch up a few more licenses and give them to Pipeworks. They have a good idea of how to watch a show and recreate it interactively.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1486 on: December 14, 2010, 12:29:29 PM »
Another quick Ludia note: FF Decades, Squares, and Amazing Race are all available for the iPad at a reduced price. If you like any of them, grab em before Ludia jacks them up to seven bucks apiece.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

chad1m

« Reply #1487 on: December 14, 2010, 12:56:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'252180\' date=\'Dec 7 2010, 02:40 AM\']So I was watching Syndie WWTBAM today, and noticed that there was a plug for the new Millionaire game for iPhone and iPod touch (with the Shuffle rules).[/quote]I, too, have been curious. I emailed them and all they told me was:

Hello,
The new version of the game, Who Wants to be a Millionaire 2011, should be in the app store in the coming weeks.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1488 on: December 14, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'252501\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 09:56 AM\']I, too, have been curious. I emailed them and all they told me was:

Hello,
The new version of the game, Who Wants to be a Millionaire 2011, should be in the app store in the coming weeks.[/quote]
Which is probably all they know if they are currently mired in Apple's ridiculous app approval process.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1489 on: December 14, 2010, 02:01:20 PM »
Well, Millionaire 2011 was just released in the UK last Thursday, so it can't be too much longer.

With this release, I've started to wonder if the PC has seen its last game show adaptation....or maybe I'm wrong. Does anybody have any insight on how the time frame/staff size/overall bottom line of producing a PC game compares to that of an iOS game?

[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'252466\' date=\'Dec 13 2010, 07:51 PM\']As an interesting side note, I noticed that Pipeworks, the developers responsible for WoF and Jeopardy! for Wii also made Merv Griffin's Crosswords for Wii, which is an accurate (maybe too accurate, since that game was subpar at best) depiction of the game. Methinks THQ should snatch up a few more licenses and give them to Pipeworks. They have a good idea of how to watch a show and recreate it interactively.[/quote]
Ah, did not know Pipeworks did MGC. Well then, I do agree- but what other shows could they do that would translate well AND aren't G=T/Fremantle shows? Remember, they have an 80% stake in Ludia, so I don't know if Fremantle would just outright not allow another developer to produce games from that library or even make them pay through the nose for the license.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:14:05 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Matt Miller

« Reply #1490 on: December 14, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson @ Dec 14 2010\' date=\' 01:01 PM\']but what other shows could they do that would translate well AND aren't G=T/Fremantle shows?[/quote]Tic Tac Dough, The Joker's Wild... Whew! (hey, a guy can dream right :P) come to mind.
Matt

WhammyPower

« Reply #1491 on: December 14, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »
Side note on Feud: the original version Feud is no longer available for purchase on the App Store, and Decades is not an update for those who have the original version.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1492 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'252511\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 04:11 PM\']Side note on Feud: the original version Feud is no longer available for purchase on the App Store, and Decades is not an update for those who have the original version.[/quote]
Were the prices on the two similar? If Decades cost more,  I just stopped caring.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1493 on: December 15, 2010, 12:37:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'252523\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 06:05 PM\']Were the prices on the two similar? If Decades cost more,  I just stopped caring.[/quote]
Does it matter? It'll be on sale for 99 cents soon enough.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Hastin

« Reply #1494 on: December 15, 2010, 12:28:32 PM »
The original FFHD is still for sale in the iTunes store again.
-Hastin :)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1495 on: December 15, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »
Just bought Amazing Race for the iPad. It's a convenient time waster, although it gets repetitive really quickly, since the difference between winning and losing is how quickly you solve a puzzle from the 7 or 8 different ones the game offers.

Fly to city (by choosing a flight based on speed). Complete puzzle as Roadblock/Fast Forward/Detour. Complete another puzzle. Drive to destination city (uses same process as the plane).

It's....alright. The pictures they use for the cities are a little blurry and/or faded (which is a letdown considering this was the "HD" version). I would have liked to see more RPG elements in the game (i.e. using your money to buy food and lodging; the longer you go without food and sleep, the tougher/more distorted the puzzles are), possibly more geo trivia, and there's no Yield or U-Turn. What would have been really cool is some sort of turn-based online play, where each team has roughly a day or so to start and complete the next leg, but that was wishful thinking at best.

It was a couple bucks, and I'm sure I'll play every now and then, but it's definitely not one I'll play often

By the way, if you're a geography nut or was a fan of the Carmen Sandiego games, check out the National Geographic Bee game. It's $1.99 and pretty tough, but I've enjoyed it thus far.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:57:48 PM by Jeremy Nelson »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1496 on: December 17, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »
Sorry to double post, but....

I know some people said they were on Words With Friends...well, EA has a bunch of their games on sale in the App Store for a buck- including Scrabble, which is normally a $10 app.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1497 on: December 20, 2010, 07:02:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'252535\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 11:37 PM\'][quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'252523\' date=\'Dec 14 2010, 06:05 PM\']Were the prices on the two similar? If Decades cost more,  I just stopped caring.[/quote]
Does it matter? It'll be on sale for 99 cents soon enough.
[/quote]
The entire Ludia library is on sale at 99 cents a pop- including iPad games. Looks like everybody's trying to follow EA's "crazy price cuts" business model.

Nevertheless, Game, set, and match, Mr. Lemon.

alfonzos

« Reply #1498 on: December 31, 2010, 01:21:22 PM »
Home games at closeout stores:
- MGC $5 at Five Below
- FF Quick Picks at Five Below
- LMAD $12.99 at Big Lots (already?)
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #1499 on: January 04, 2011, 09:20:52 AM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'253708\' date=\'Dec 31 2010, 12:21 PM\']- LMAD $12.99 at Big Lots (already?)[/quote]
I saw a stack of these in Farm & Fleet before Christmas, and had to wonder if there's ever been a less-interesting premise for a board game.  "Is the other side of this card a Zonk?"  "No?"  "You're right!  You win!"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:21:09 AM by Mr. Armadillo »