Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464010 times)

pacdude

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1515 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52:48 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254033\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 11:08 PM\'][quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254026\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 07:36 PM\']It is the same game, as is all most Monopoly translations. (I'm not sure but I'm going to cover my bases.)[/quote]
Just a week or so ago I would have said "all" myself (at least, among officially licensed ones), but I noticed that Monopoly Revolution had changed up the board layout.

(Plus there's Mega Monopoly, with the larger board and skyscrapers.)
[/quote]

From what I've read, Monopoly Mega Edition makes the game a bit—and this is in all honestly, because as a study on game mechanics, Monopoly farking sucks—better, faster, stronger.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1516 on: January 06, 2011, 12:58:09 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'254047\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 09:06 PM\']In all my years of gaming, I have not returned to the gateway game. Not once. But it is noting that you don't see those "licensed variants" that seem to come from everything from Monopoly to Uno.[/quote]
Well, no, because Guido Teuber is too busy slapping the Catan mechanics on any theme that comes his way. Mayfair doesn't need to farm it out; they release too many by themselves. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #1517 on: January 06, 2011, 01:00:35 AM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254050\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 09:52 PM\']From what I've read, Monopoly Mega Edition makes the game a bit—and this is in all honestly, because as a study on game mechanics, Monopoly farking sucks—better, faster, stronger.[/quote]
Yeah, but is it playable? ;)

vtown7

« Reply #1518 on: January 06, 2011, 06:09:33 AM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254022\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 10:06 PM\'][quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'254005\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 07:00 PM\'][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'253995\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 05:15 PM\']For those in the Cleveland area, most Marc's stores have ESPN Jeopardy! for $6.99.[/quote]

If you have the chance to pick this up, if nothing else, it's worth it just for getting the handheld baseball style buzzer and its SportCenter Final J! music.

R.
[/quote]

Would it be possible to post what this SportsCenter Final Jeopardy! music sounds like? As an ardent yet frugal fan of ESPN, I don't want to buy another ESPN board game that no one will play with me. (Although I love my ESPN Monopoly game.)
[/quote]

I should have clarified - it's just your basic sting of "dah-dah-dah, dah-dah-dah" at the start of the 30 second time and then once again when the time is up.

When it was on for $5 minus another 25% I wasn't too fussy! :)

R.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #1519 on: January 06, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254052\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 12:00 AM\'][quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254050\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 09:52 PM\']From what I've read, Monopoly Mega Edition makes the game a bit—and this is in all honestly, because as a study on game mechanics, Monopoly farking sucks—better, faster, stronger.[/quote]
Yeah, but is it playable? ;)[/quote]
I've never tried this, but from what I've heard, it actually becomes somewhat interesting if you auction off every property as it's landed on instead of letting the guy who lands on it buy it outright.

pacdude

« Reply #1520 on: January 06, 2011, 10:41:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'254060\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 09:10 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254052\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 12:00 AM\'][quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254050\' date=\'Jan 5 2011, 09:52 PM\']From what I've read, Monopoly Mega Edition makes the game a bit—and this is in all honestly, because as a study on game mechanics, Monopoly farking sucks—better, faster, stronger.[/quote]
Yeah, but is it playable? ;)[/quote]
I've never tried this, but from what I've heard, it actually becomes somewhat interesting if you auction off every property as it's landed on instead of letting the guy who lands on it buy it outright.
[/quote]

Few people bother with auctioning, but the game becomes manageable when every property is sold. Then trading commences, etc, etc, and you have a game that ends in an hour.

clemon79

« Reply #1521 on: January 06, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'254060\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 06:10 AM\']I've never tried this, but from what I've heard, it actually becomes somewhat interesting if you auction off every property as it's landed on instead of letting the guy who lands on it buy it outright.[/quote]
Fair enough, but I can't help but think that if I want a straight auction game, there are a whole bunch of others I can play that I would enjoy more and that don't have the other problems Monopoly has.

(Mind you, I'm not a fan of auction games in general unless the economy is very VERY closed. (Traumfabrik, Goa, San Francisco, et. al. Anyone want to buy a copy of Modern Art, cheap?)
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254068\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 07:41 AM\']Few people bother with auctioning[/quote]
...which is why house-rules Monopoly frequently takes six weeks to slog through a game, between that and the introduction of Mo' Money to the economy...
but the game becomes manageable when every property is sold. Then trading commences, etc, etc, and you have a game that ends in an hour.
You lost me at "trading commences," which is where Monopoly completely breaks down, if it wasn't already broken prior to that. :)

pacdude

« Reply #1522 on: January 06, 2011, 02:38:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254085\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 02:13 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'254060\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 06:10 AM\']I've never tried this, but from what I've heard, it actually becomes somewhat interesting if you auction off every property as it's landed on instead of letting the guy who lands on it buy it outright.[/quote]
Fair enough, but I can't help but think that if I want a straight auction game, there are a whole bunch of others I can play that I would enjoy more and that don't have the other problems Monopoly has.

(Mind you, I'm not a fan of auction games in general unless the economy is very VERY closed. (Traumfabrik, Goa, San Francisco, et. al. Anyone want to buy a copy of Modern Art, cheap?)
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254068\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 07:41 AM\']Few people bother with auctioning[/quote]
...which is why house-rules Monopoly frequently takes six weeks to slog through a game, between that and the introduction of Mo' Money to the economy...
but the game becomes manageable when every property is sold. Then trading commences, etc, etc, and you have a game that ends in an hour.
You lost me at "trading commences," which is where Monopoly completely breaks down, if it wasn't already broken prior to that. :)
[/quote]

It's easy: learn how to trade properties, money and get out of jail free cards (along with sexual favors and alcohol) and the game becomes faster and more fun (especially when someone trades a Get out of Jail free card for the last 3 beers in the fridge). Honestly, games are, generally, only as fun as the people you play them with.

clemon79

« Reply #1523 on: January 06, 2011, 03:35:45 PM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254087\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 11:38 AM\']It's easy: learn how to trade properties, money and get out of jail free cards (along with sexual favors and alcohol) and the game becomes faster and more fun (especially when someone trades a Get out of Jail free card for the last 3 beers in the fridge). Honestly, games are, generally, only as fun as the people you play them with.[/quote]
Except I want to play games with people of similar skill, and when you get four skilled players around a Monopoly board the game basically breaks on the spot as soon as the need to make unbalanced trades to move the game along (bad enough by itself) collides with the need to not trade with the leader.

And if by some miracle all of the necessary trades end up being doable in an even fashion and everyone winds up more or less equal, the game is now decided by who lands where based on random die rolls and card draws.

Guess I'm no fun. More power to y'all, though. :)

pacdude

« Reply #1524 on: January 06, 2011, 05:20:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254090\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 03:35 PM\']Guess I'm no fun. More power to y'all, though. :)[/quote]

Next time I'm around, I'll bring the case of Coors, a few friends and you offer the Hipster Monopoly. I'll show you a good time.

/yikes
//giggity?

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #1525 on: January 06, 2011, 06:10:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'254090\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 03:35 PM\']when you get four skilled players around a Monopoly board the game basically breaks on the spot as soon as the need to make unbalanced trades[/quote]
Wait, so there are balanced trades in Monopoly?
This signature is currently under construction.

Hastin

« Reply #1526 on: January 06, 2011, 07:33:59 PM »
Just throw Monopoly out the window (along with your TV), and go pickup a good fun ownership game like Acquire, Power Grid, or Puerto Rico.
-Hastin :)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #1527 on: January 06, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254098\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 04:20 PM\']Next time I'm around, I'll bring the case of Coors PBR, a few friends and you offer the Hipster Monopoly. I'll show you a good time.

/yikes
//giggity?[/quote]

I just had to fix it for you.
/Lives with a hipster.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:55:05 PM by Strikerz04 »

pacdude

« Reply #1528 on: January 06, 2011, 08:00:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'254112\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 07:51 PM\'][quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254098\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 04:20 PM\']Next time I'm around, I'll bring the case of Coors PBR Yuengling, a few friends and you offer the Hipster Monopoly. I'll show you a good time.

/yikes
//giggity?[/quote]

I just had to fix it for you.
/Lives with a hipster.
[/quote]

Extra fixed.

/lived with 5 hipsters
//hated it

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1529 on: January 06, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
[quote name=\'pacdude\' post=\'254087\' date=\'Jan 6 2011, 11:38 AM\']It's easy: learn how to trade properties, money and get out of jail free cards (along with sexual favors and alcohol) and the game becomes faster and more fun (especially when someone trades a Get out of Jail free card for the last 3 beers in the fridge). Honestly, games are, generally, only as fun as the people you play them with.[/quote]So in order to play it "right," I have to do things like "If you don't give me $550 and Park Place, I'm going to give you a big wet kiss on the mouth"?

It seems like Monopoly falls under the Proposal Rule: if your rules need exceptions they're not good rules.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.