Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 453755 times)

Matt Ottinger

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1890 on: March 29, 2012, 10:52:56 PM »
In this frame of thinking, to go slightly OT, I'm surprised Hasbro hasn't sued the Zynga people yet (Words with Friends, anybody?)
Believe it or not, you aren't the first person to notice the similarity.

You know all the -OPOLY games that are on the market?  Pretty much the same thing.  You can't copyright the general way a game plays, even if it's a clear rip-off.  Where the makers of the earlier Scrabulous got in trouble was in making an exact copy and using a similar-sounding title.  Hasbro went all "bingo" on their asses in a hurry.  If they could, they'd do the same to Words With Friends.  But they can't.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1891 on: March 30, 2012, 04:06:07 AM »
In this frame of thinking, to go slightly OT, I'm surprised Hasbro hasn't sued the Zynga people yet (Words with Friends, anybody?)
Because Hasbro already went through all of that with the Scrabulous / Wordscraper / Lexulous people. They can't copyright game rules. What they CAN copyright are design elements like the layout of bonus squares on the board and scoring schemes, which is why the spaces are laid out differently in WWF, a bingo is only a 30-point bonus, and the "J" is worth 10, among others.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

narzo

« Reply #1892 on: April 06, 2012, 04:17:22 PM »
There is now a version of "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? and Friends" available for iPhone and iPad;  however, it's only currently in the Canadian iTunes store.  The questions are geared for Americans so probably just a matter of time when it appears in the US store.

Unlike the FF&Friends game, this one is played in real time against others, similar to the FB game.  It's a free download but you'll soon be spending $$ to buy the coins to play the game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:31:39 PM by narzo »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1893 on: April 06, 2012, 04:35:47 PM »
you'll soon be spending $$ to buy the coins to play the game.
I can assure you there's one person out there who won't be doing that. :)
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1894 on: April 10, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »
Has anyone played the Quick Picks version of Family Feud? If so, what can you say about it, plus or minus?
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1895 on: April 10, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
Has anyone played the Quick Picks version of Family Feud? If so, what can you say about it, plus or minus?
It's a bunch of survey cards in a box. Basically teams alternate giving answers in the survey until either one team strikes out, or a team gives the final answer on the board. First team to collect three cards wins. The game has its fair share of asinine surveys, but it's alright if you just need a pack of surveys for presentation software or something.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1896 on: April 10, 2012, 02:53:37 PM »
It's a bunch of survey cards in a box. Basically teams alternate giving answers in the survey until either one team strikes out, or a team gives the final answer on the board. First team to collect three cards wins. The game has its fair share of asinine surveys, but it's alright if you just need a pack of surveys for presentation software or something.
That sounds like the Strikeout travel-sized game. Are they both the same idea?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #1897 on: April 10, 2012, 02:54:37 PM »
but it's alright if you just need a pack of surveys for presentation software or something.
So you're saying the material is actually somewhat plausible, unlike some past Endless Feud products?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1898 on: April 10, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
That sounds like the Strikeout travel-sized game. Are they both the same idea?
Oh, my bad. I'm referring to Strikeout in my description. The Quick Pick is just the board game in a tin- it comes with a wipe off board, question booklet, marker, and the omnipresent "strike indicator", if I recall correctly. No variance from the board game other than the fact that the game board is a little smaller.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, Endless was dumb enough to post the instruction manual here, WHICH INCLUDES ALL OF THE QUESTIONS. So if question quality was what you were originally looking to get answers about, well voila.

but it's alright if you just need a pack of surveys for presentation software or something.
So you're saying the material is actually somewhat plausible, unlike some past Endless Feud products?
Meh, more than half of it looks to be. I recall a question that asked for a movie that adults and kids would enjoy- the list was almost all to completely all Pixar movies. I got it from Barnes and Noble for less than $5, so it wasn't a big deal when I saw some questionable surveys. Maybe I'll post some of the outstanding stinkers here later.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:40:04 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1899 on: April 22, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »
If you have a Roku Box, you can now get Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune on it at $5 a piece.

I understand that multiple choice makes Jeopardy games more accessible to the public, but that irks the hell out of me.

clemon79

« Reply #1900 on: April 22, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »
If you have a Roku Box, you can now get Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune on it at $5 a piece.
Roku 2.0, I assume.

I understand that multiple choice makes Jeopardy games more accessible to the public, but that irks the hell out of me.
Then...don't buy it?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1901 on: April 22, 2012, 11:50:56 PM »
Then...don't buy it?
Even though I don't have the box or the inclination, I thank Jeremy for the one-line review.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1902 on: April 23, 2012, 12:50:38 AM »
Then...don't buy it?
Not to jump all over you, but I'm fairly sure I offered up a comment that was sufficient without your reply. For the record, I didn't buy it; I may not like the way they produce the game, but I understand why they do it- just like i understand why I will never get a high quality burger from McDonald's.

Even though I don't have the box or the inclination, I thank Jeremy for the one-line review.
Now, I don't own a Roku box, but considering you need a Roku remote to properly play the game, and that the Jeopardy games have been multiple choice for nearly a decade now, I'll assume they haven't changed that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:00:53 AM by Jeremy Nelson »

clemon79

« Reply #1903 on: April 23, 2012, 01:08:08 AM »
Now, I don't own a Roku box, but considering you need a Roku remote to properly play the game, and that the Jeopardy games have been multiple choice for nearly a decade now, I'll assume they haven't changed that.
Okay, perhaps I misinterpreted. So your "one-line review" (and I realize Travis coined that phrase, not you) was more of a guess, then. (Admittedly, an exceptionally likely guess.)

CarbonCpy

« Reply #1904 on: May 11, 2012, 02:15:52 AM »
I didn't think this warranted a new thread, but I found something at the local goodwill: Win Ben Stein's Cyber Money, still in the shrink wrap.

(front)
(back)

I'm guessing it's a promotional item, given that it doesn't have any of the usual fine print.  Being afraid to take the shrink wrap off of it, has anyone ever tried this one out?  I'm still kind of shocked something like this would find its way down to this particular part of B-F-E.