Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464361 times)

BrandonFG

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #255 on: January 04, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173850\' date=\'Jan 4 2008, 07:30 PM\']
...if this sort of thing ticks off the rest of the TPiR-obsessed, I'll buy it, just on principle.
[/quote]
The zooming message at the beginning of the show is in a Windsor font. That was NOT Windsor!!!1!

And the Showcase podium scoreboards are eggcrates! Eggcrates people! Do they even watch the show?!?!!1!?

Geez!

/My glasses need more tape around the bridge
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:47:30 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #256 on: January 04, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »
Matt Ottinger uses 8'x10' sheets of plywood as toilet paper.

/sorry, wrong thread
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #257 on: January 04, 2008, 10:52:40 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'173849\' date=\'Jan 4 2008, 06:17 PM\']
they're using the Barker set from two years ago
[/quote]
Better that set than the 35th Anniversary set;)

In all seriousness, it does look neat.  I'm seriously considering getting me one.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

tpirfan28

« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2008, 09:00:40 AM »
Well...the head developer for the TPIR game registered over at Golden-Road.net and has posted a complete slew of information about the game.  Clearly shows they give a damn about the product they are giving out...especially:
4- I can say the DS version is better than Deal or No Deal. I've played that... It's typical low-budget stuff, and we're keeping an eye out for other game shows on the DS to see how we stack up. So far, so good!
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2008, 11:18:42 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'173853\' date=\'Jan 4 2008, 06:47 PM\']
The zooming message at the beginning of the show is in a Windsor font. That was NOT Windsor!!!1!

And the Showcase podium scoreboards are eggcrates! Eggcrates people! Do they even watch the show?!?!!1!?

Geez!

/My glasses need more tape around the bridge
[/quote]
Over on the Golden Road boards, there was a guy who posted something very similar...

And for the most part the sets do look great. But I do have issues with some font uses as seen in the promo videos. Prepare for some intense nitpickery...

* Most glaring to me is at the very beginning, in the "Come On Down" lightbox section. Ronnia (is that what it is?) may work very well for the game's interface, but for the "STACKS OF CASH!" exclamations, it doesn't belong. They've consistently used Windsor there for over 30 years, both on art cards and digitally, from early "HOUR POWER" shows into Drew's era. When the game gets something as iconic as this wrong, and it's the very first thing seen in the game, it doesn't set the tone well.

* I also notice Ronnia in the Plinko score display. Eggcrate, if you please!

* A brush casual font might work for the cheques in Punch-A-Bunch, but I've only ever seen the game played with slips, and those tend to use something along the lines of Gothic 13, or one of the compressed weights of Akzidenz Grotesk or Helvetica. In an absolute "women-and-children-first" emergency, I suppose you could break down and use Impact.

* Money Game with Ronnia, too? They've used a condensed Eurostile for ages.

* Race Game... tricky because I'm not sure that there's a font for the neon 0/1/2/4 digits. But they definitely don't look like whatever that is there. Trebuchet? Or--gasp--more Ronnia?

Of course, here you're going to run into a disproportionate amount of loyal fans and true who feel proprietary about "our" show. And few are as font-obsessed as I am. But people do notice things that they don't think they're noticing, and suspension of disbelief is fragile. Clearly a lot of great work has happened on the game. Numbers and the display thereof are critical elements of The Price Is Right... why stop short with them?

Wow...just...wow. Comment if you please.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #260 on: January 08, 2008, 12:52:33 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'174182\' date=\'Jan 8 2008, 10:18 AM\']
Wow...just...wow. Comment if you please.
[/quote]
I once had the 1995 Sony Imagesoft Jeopardy! PC game, and I never once complained that the categories, clues, and scores were in Times New Roman Bold, simply because the "real" set, sounds, and theme music were present (of course, this game was set on Ed Flesh's 1991 set, Jeopardy!'s best ever IMO).  I suspect I'll treat the upcoming The Price Is Right game similarly.
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2008, 01:10:45 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'174182\' date=\'Jan 8 2008, 11:18 AM\']
Wow...just...wow. Comment if you please.[/quote]
Well, the guy did say "prepare for some intense nitpickery" and "few are as font-obsessed as I am."  That to me indicates somebody who does have perspective and is just pointing out the differences he sees in the one forum where that sort of thing might be appreciated.  He also makes a pretty good point that "people do notice things that they don't think they're noticing."  Didn't really strike me as the slobbering fanboi type.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

« Reply #262 on: January 08, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'174192\' date=\'Jan 8 2008, 01:10 PM\']
Well, the guy did say "prepare for some intense nitpickery" and "few are as font-obsessed as I am."  That to me indicates somebody who does have perspective and is just pointing out the differences he sees in the one forum where that sort of thing might be appreciated.  He also makes a pretty good point that "people do notice things that they don't think they're noticing."  Didn't really strike me as the slobbering fanboi type.
[/quote]
Also, if you read the Ludia rep's posts, he (that's who I'm assuming "JC" is) says he's a diehard fan of some things in life and that if there's something wrong that could be fixed, he would try to see if they could be fixed.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #263 on: January 08, 2008, 02:50:42 PM »
I think most people on this board are open-minded and willing to give the game a fair shot before berating it.  I've been watching TPIR for over 30 years now and NEVER have I cared about the fonts used for displays, CG, etc...  If the gameplay is almost as authentic (=>85%) as it appears on the show (and the cues/music are authentic), I'm not going to stress myself over how a certain font looks--and I think most of the other members of the board have the same sentiment.

<head shaking>fanbois.....</head shaking>
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:51:17 PM by mparrish11 »
--Matt

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #264 on: January 08, 2008, 03:12:31 PM »
4- I can say the DS version is better than Deal or No Deal.

Understand that this is saying NOTHING. DoND DS is the worst piece of shiat I have ever played on a handheld, ever. (Although I sense the guy didn't know that not only is DoND crap, but programmatically broken.) So while I'm glad he's confident his product is better...but it wouldn't take much for it to be so.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

« Reply #265 on: January 09, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »
OK, so the TPIR PC game is coming.  Good news.  I also believe Endless Games is
releasing a 2nd edition of the TPIR DVD game later this year ('08).  I also believe
I read that Merv Griffin's Crosswords is coming out this year as well. Just out
of curiousity, does anybody know or has anybody heard if they're coming out with
a PC or DVD version of  Power of 10?  This seems like the right thread to
ask this question.

Bob Zager

« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
A little bit of news of a few things to expect in 2008:

First, TechnoSource, which released the handheld version of AYSTAFG, will be releasing TWO new versions by fall--a small pocket-sized POP QUIZ version, and a previously mentioned tabletop game.

The Pop Quiz version will be shaped like a pencil, and feature five subjects and over 500 questions.  There is no help from classmates on this version, though.

The tabletop version will play just like the show, and is described as being shaped like a chalkboard, and includes a wireless remote shaped like an eraser.  The press release described the remote as allowing the player to "beam" his/her answers to the unit!  Up to four players can play as well.

If you click this link, you'll see a prototype box for a Family Feud Deluxe Fourth Edition from Endless Games, which is described to include a board similar to the seventies and eighties versions from MB and Pressman respectively:

http://www.toydirectory.com/monthly/compre...d=endless+games

Steve McClellan

« Reply #267 on: January 10, 2008, 11:02:14 PM »
The Target in Santa Maria, California (and I presume stores elsewhere) is clearancing several games: I picked up the $60 J! wireless buzzer DVD game for $14.98, the 1 vs. 100 tabletop game for $6.24 and the Feud tabletop (with O'Hurley's countenance) for $4.98.

So if you're like me, and were unwilling to pay full price for any of these, now's your chance.

alfonzos

« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2008, 05:30:33 PM »
Spotted at Walgreen's, DoND DVD with a sticker that says, "Enchanced Gameplay." I wonder what that means.
Spotted at Fry's Electronics, DoND Secret Vault Games.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'175260\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 02:30 PM\']Spotted at Walgreen's, DoND DVD with a sticker that says, "Enchanced Gameplay." I wonder what that means. [/quote]Beats me. I don't know how you could possibly make the game any more random.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.