Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464223 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #720 on: January 01, 2009, 11:32:54 PM »
The XBox 360 has another game show title--Merv Griffin's Crosswords.  The cost is 800 Microsoft points/$10.  Like the Wii game, there are over 1000 puzzles.  Unlike the Wii game, there is an online multiplayer mode.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #721 on: January 04, 2009, 02:54:09 PM »
Some intrepid programmer has made a Jeopardy! scorekeeper for iPhone/iPod touch, for use while playing along with the show.

Sells for 99 cents on iTunes.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #722 on: January 07, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'205337\' date=\'Jan 1 2009, 08:32 PM\']
The XBox 360 has another game show title--Merv Griffin's Crosswords.  The cost is 800 Microsoft points/$10.  Like the Wii game, there are over 1000 puzzles.  Unlike the Wii game, there is an online multiplayer mode.[/quote]
I played the demo of this last night, so I might as well post my thoughts based on my experience.

The translation itself: Not bad. Relatively pretty, and an accurate rendering of the studio. LOVE that it has Chatpad support, although plucking letters off of an on-screen alphabet wasn't painful.

I think there are a grand total of four different body types, two male, two female, so by definition you'll see twins behind the podiums in every game, if you're playing a full game with Spoilers. They pretty much had Treadway record the bare minimum in terms of sound...the things he says get awfully repetitive after a short time. (But I just write that off as verite, just like I do in NHL 09 when Gary Thorne mispronounces Milan Michalek and Ryane Clowe's names for the third year in a row.)

There is a mode where one or two players can play sans-Spoilers, which turns a horribly broken format into a mundane and random buzzer-battle. But at least the option is there.

The AI is pretty lame. Only once in the game I played did I see a plausible wrong answer given...most of the time it was either a blank stare, or it was the right answer with a couple of letters transposed. And the AI isn't that good, either, which is right in line with the show's contestant casting.

Some of the writing is pretty crappe: along the lines of "Place you play" for PLAYFIELD, which I consider dirty pool in cruciverbalism because it uses part of the answer in the clue; "Place you frolic" would be much better. But, again, I gave up on the actual show pretty early, and have no idea if this sort of writing was considered acceptable there.  

Didn't get to see the bonus game, because I got sniped out of the podium I ran up $100K and two trips on (oh, the money system is a little inflated compared to the actual show; I didn't see a clue under $500, and several $3000 clues were in play), came back into the wrong one, and couldn't instabuzz my way out of it in time, and therefore eventually lost the match. But this isn't a shortcoming of the game itself, it's a shortcoming of the aforementioned horribly broken format. I might try a Spoiler-free game tonight before I delete it just to see what it looks like.

Anyhow, if you like Merv Griffin's Crosswords, then I would say that $10 is probably a steal for this. Most of my problems with the game are with the awful format over the presentation, and the AI is basically a coin-toss anyhow ("Do I get it right or not?" *flip*), so the lack of creativity there doesn't kill me. But ultimately, for me, it's still Crosswords, which I think is a poor game at its face, and so I'll pass.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #723 on: January 07, 2009, 05:22:23 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'205706\' date=\'Jan 7 2009, 05:07 PM\']
They pretty much had Treadway record the bare minimum in terms of sound...the things he says get awfully repetitive after a short time.
[/quote]
Damn...that IS pretty faithful to the show! ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #724 on: January 07, 2009, 05:25:07 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'205708\' date=\'Jan 7 2009, 02:22 PM\']
Damn...that IS pretty faithful to the show! ;-)[/quote]
Exactly...see my comment immediately thereafter about "verite." :)

BrandonFG

« Reply #725 on: January 07, 2009, 05:54:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'205709\' date=\'Jan 7 2009, 05:25 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'205708\' date=\'Jan 7 2009, 02:22 PM\']
Damn...that IS pretty faithful to the show! ;-)[/quote]
Exactly...see my comment immediately thereafter about "verite." :)
[/quote]
D'oh! Duly noted. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

deknaj

« Reply #726 on: January 10, 2009, 03:56:02 AM »
Just an FYI - Merv Griffins Crosswords board game being sold on Wal-Mart.com for $5.00....can we say clearance anyone?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #727 on: January 10, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »
Target has the TPiR tabletop game on clearance.  Your mileage may vary on the price.  The store I was at last night had it for $12.48.  The Moment of Truth games were also on clearance at Target, if you're into that stuff--$11 and change for the full box game, $6 and change for the smaller version.

Sodboy13

« Reply #728 on: January 10, 2009, 11:20:21 AM »
TPIR is $12.48 here in Chicago, too, which I felt to be a reasonable price for a well-built, free-standing, miniature Plinko board.  And make no mistake, that's pretty much all you're getting for the price.  One run-through of the actual game let me know that I won't need to be putting batteries in it again any time soon.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Vgmastr

« Reply #729 on: January 11, 2009, 06:32:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'205706\' date=\'Jan 7 2009, 04:07 PM\']
Anyhow, if you like Merv Griffin's Crosswords, then I would say that $10 is probably a steal for this. Most of my problems with the game are with the awful format over the presentation, and the AI is basically a coin-toss anyhow ("Do I get it right or not?" *flip*), so the lack of creativity there doesn't kill me. But ultimately, for me, it's still Crosswords, which I think is a poor game at its face, and so I'll pass.
[/quote]

As someone who is a fan of crossword puzzles in general, but not of the show, I still think it's worth it, as you're getting 1,000 puzzles for $10.  There are two solo modes where you complete an entire puzzle yourself, one mode against a clock, one mode at your leisure.  Plus the different puzzle themes are a nice feature as well.  It's a fairly deep game for $10, and one of the better video game adaptations of a game show to come along in awhile, too bad it's based on a lousy show.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #730 on: January 11, 2009, 06:41:04 PM »
A caveat about the themed games on Merv Griffin's Crosswords:  I played an online sports-themed game against a friend last night.  Roughly 1 in every 4 questions was sports-related, and at least 2/3 of the sports clues were "19xx/200x Masters champion" or "First name of 3-time Masters champion".  I was expecting a little more sports variety than golf, golf, and more golf.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #731 on: January 12, 2009, 05:11:16 PM »
[quote name=\'deknaj\' post=\'205935\' date=\'Jan 10 2009, 03:56 AM\']Just an FYI - Merv Griffins Crosswords board game being sold on Wal-Mart.com for $5.00....can we say clearance anyone?[/quote]
Note that this is online only.  While at Wally World today, I checked to see if it was in stock at $5.  It was $9, and the customer service drone said that Wal-Mart's brick-and-mortar stores are separate from the online store, and thus no price matching would be done.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #732 on: January 20, 2009, 09:16:42 PM »
Deal or No Deal is now available for the Wii.  Bless my sister, she got me this for Christmas through Amazon.  Two dozen images can be found here.

Everything we love to hate about the show is on this game--Million Dollar Mission, doubled stakes, a higher top prize, and double or nothing.  There are also "achievements", of sorts.  An example of an unlockable reward is at the bottom of the page linked above.

clemon79

« Reply #733 on: January 21, 2009, 02:09:16 AM »
They missed a golden opportunity: there should be a setting where the cases can be carried by the other Miis on your system instead of those OMG frightening models.

(And the Achievement (and Nintendo no longer gets to claim we ripped off Miis after this, which is not to suggest for a second it was a valid claim in the first place) for turning down a $300K offer is an ass? I'll say. ;))

tvmitch

« Reply #734 on: January 21, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'206719\' date=\'Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM\']
Deal or No Deal is now available for the Wii.  Bless my sister, she got me this for Christmas through Amazon.  Two dozen images can be found here.

Everything we love to hate about the show is on this game--Million Dollar Mission, doubled stakes, a higher top prize, and double or nothing.  There are also "achievements", of sorts.  An example of an unlockable reward is at the bottom of the page linked above.
[/quote]
It would be fun if:

1. You could play the game in the backdrop of other countries, such as the UK or Australia. I reckon this wouldn't be that hard to do. Would it sell extra copies? Probably not. But it would be self-indulgent.

2. You could program your own money tree.

3. And, like Chris said, there's really no excuse why the models can't be replaced by the other Miis in your system. Really. I would have sat and made up a dozen or so just to see them holding cases - that could have been a selling point of the game and something fairly easy to program.
You should follow me on Twitter