Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464209 times)

Bob Zager

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #780 on: February 28, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'209003\' date=\'Feb 27 2009, 06:23 PM\']

Are there actually two different versions of Cash Cab, one with Ben's picture on the cover and one without?  That doesn't make a lot of sense, but Amazon seems to be treating the two as separate.

Did iToys release handheld versions of Password AND Million Dollar Password or did those end up getting merged into one?  There is conflicting information on websites.

[/quote]

I DOUBT there are two differing box covers for Cash Cab.  The copy I have DOES feature Ben Bailey's picture.  I also notice that the "game rating" graphics, shown in the lower left-hand corner of each of the boxes are different.  The graphics on the box picturing Ben, are more standard and universal on ALL board games these days.  This leads me to believe the box w/o Ben's picture was a prototype one.

I HAVE seen both regular and MDP handheld games myself.  I bought the regular version at a 1/2 off reduced price at Meijer recently.  I haven't bought the MDP handheld game, but from the instructions that are downloadable at www.itoys.com, it looks like the games play the same, just have different graphics on them.  The forthcoming tabletop version of MDP, though, appears to be 100% faithful to the show, including the bonus round!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #781 on: February 28, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'209066\' date=\'Feb 28 2009, 10:30 AM\']I DOUBT there are two differing box covers for Cash Cab.  The copy I have DOES feature Ben Bailey's picture.  I also notice that the "game rating" graphics, shown in the lower left-hand corner of each of the boxes are different.  The graphics on the box picturing Ben, are more standard and universal on ALL board games these days.  This leads me to believe the box w/o Ben's picture was a prototype one.

I HAVE seen both regular and MDP handheld games myself.  I bought the regular version at a 1/2 off reduced price at Meijer recently.  I haven't bought the MDP handheld game, but from the instructions that are downloadable at www.itoys.com, it looks like the games play the same, just have different graphics on them.  The forthcoming tabletop version of MDP, though, appears to be 100% faithful to the show, including the bonus round![/quote]
Bob Zager rules, even if I don't return his phone calls.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #782 on: February 28, 2009, 04:44:35 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'209007\' date=\'Feb 27 2009, 06:54 PM\']
In regards to Press Your Luck, the box art on the Amazon page is the art the game was published with.[/quote]
So nobody has the cover with Todd Newton that I show on my site?

Bob Zager

« Reply #783 on: March 01, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'209123\' date=\'Feb 28 2009, 04:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'209007\' date=\'Feb 27 2009, 06:54 PM\']
In regards to Press Your Luck, the box art on the Amazon page is the art the game was published with.[/quote]
So nobody has the cover with Todd Newton that I show on my site?
[/quote]
Right!  The one with Newton pictured is another prototype.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #784 on: March 01, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'209066\' date=\'Feb 28 2009, 10:30 AM\']
I HAVE seen both regular and MDP handheld games myself.  I bought the regular version at a 1/2 off reduced price at Meijer recently.  I haven't bought the MDP handheld game, but from the instructions that are downloadable at www.itoys.com, it looks like the games play the same, just have different graphics on them.  
[/quote]
Yep, I did a little shopping-without-buying today and found both the Password and Million Dollar Password on shelves.  They were in two different stores so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison, but it did appear that they were exactly the same game.

The artwork for the Password version, BTW, did NOT feature a picture of Allen Ludden, even though he's seen in some internet artwork.  I'll assume another prototype difference unless somebody tells me that his copy actually has Allen on it.

tvwxman

« Reply #785 on: March 01, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'209255\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 05:08 PM\']
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'209066\' date=\'Feb 28 2009, 10:30 AM\']
I HAVE seen both regular and MDP handheld games myself.  I bought the regular version at a 1/2 off reduced price at Meijer recently.  I haven't bought the MDP handheld game, but from the instructions that are downloadable at www.itoys.com, it looks like the games play the same, just have different graphics on them.  
[/quote]
Yep, I did a little shopping-without-buying today and found both the Password and Million Dollar Password on shelves.  They were in two different stores so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison, but it did appear that they were exactly the same game.

The artwork for the Password version, BTW, did NOT feature a picture of Allen Ludden, even though he's seen in some internet artwork.  I'll assume another prototype difference unless somebody tells me that his copy actually has Allen on it.
[/quote]
Allen was on the prototype @ the Toy Fair last year.... I didn't think that he would make the cut, based on the thought that not many outside of this corner of the internet know who the nerdy guy with glasses on the box actually is.

And, the PYL DVD games I had to give away last year, did not have Todd on them. They also were not in the larger size box the other Imagination games were packaged in.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chad1m

« Reply #786 on: March 01, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'209272\' date=\'Mar 1 2009, 06:18 PM\']They also were not in the larger size box the other Imagination games were packaged in.[/quote]But the one sitting on my shelf is, so hey.

alfonzos

« Reply #787 on: March 05, 2009, 03:52:44 PM »
Irwin Toy's TPiR has been dumped onto Goodwill. I bought one that had been returned and sitting on the shelf for over a month so the price had "come on down" to $2.99. Worth the gamble at that price. It was missing the rules (downloaded from the publisher's web site) and three out of six Plinko chips (big deal; you only need one at time anyway).

Nobody in my gaming circles plays home games so I solitaired it.

Good news:
- It rotates turn order of the bidding during the Contestants' Row phase.
- Plinko, even downsized, works!
- Several music cues from the series (although no volume control except "off")
- Brand names on the products

Bad news:
- The game does not keep score except for determination of turn order during Showcase Showdown
- Players keep their own scores during Showcase Showdown
- Big Wheel is free spinning so landing with the arrow on a line is possible
- Showcase Showdown Bonus Spin not prompted by game
- Pictures of prizes slighter larger than a postage stamp
- Players not prompted on which pricing game or Showcase to play

Conclusion: Once you decide on some ground rules, the game is worth the twenty sessions the game provides. The search of a home game that does the series justice continues...
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #788 on: March 05, 2009, 06:18:24 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'209595\' date=\'Mar 5 2009, 03:52 PM\']Conclusion: Once you decide on some ground rules, the game is worth the twenty sessions the game provides. The search of a home game that does the series justice continues...[/quote]Not a fan of the second Endless edition?  I don't own it, but from nearly every account I've read, people enjoy it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tpirfan28

« Reply #789 on: March 05, 2009, 06:29:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'209609\' date=\'Mar 5 2009, 06:18 PM\']
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'209595\' date=\'Mar 5 2009, 03:52 PM\']Conclusion: Once you decide on some ground rules, the game is worth the twenty sessions the game provides. The search of a home game that does the series justice continues...[/quote]Not a fan of the second Endless edition?  I don't own it, but from nearly every account I've read, people enjoy it.
[/quote]
I have it.  Good game, lots of variation (and they way it's set up, it can be very open-ended).  Gets usually second-billing when I trot out the games for a game night, after one of my five versions of Pyramid.

/Has three versions of Password, each played once
//From a friend:  Password is too boring, Pyramid is more exciting.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #790 on: March 05, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'209610\' date=\'Mar 5 2009, 05:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'209609\' date=\'Mar 5 2009, 06:18 PM\']
[/quote]
I have it.  Good game, lots of variation (and they way it's set up, it can be very open-ended).  Gets usually second-billing when I trot out the games for a game night, after one of my five versions of Pyramid.
[/quote]
It's got a lot of variation, but the setup for each game can be time consuming, only because there are no prize cards, and so there's a lot of writing. Overall, though, it's better than any other PiR home game.

/Pyramid is by far the best GS party game.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

dazztardly

« Reply #791 on: March 06, 2009, 02:43:05 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'209595\' date=\'Mar 5 2009, 04:52 PM\']
Irwin Toy's TPiR has been dumped onto Goodwill. I bought one that had been returned and sitting on the shelf for over a month so the price had "come on down" to $2.99. Worth the gamble at that price. It was missing the rules (downloaded from the publisher's web site) and three out of six Plinko chips (big deal; you only need one at time anyway).

Nobody in my gaming circles plays home games so I solitaired it.

Good news:
- It rotates turn order of the bidding during the Contestants' Row phase.
- Plinko, even downsized, works!
- Several music cues from the series (although no volume control except "off")
- Brand names on the products

Bad news:
- The game does not keep score except for determination of turn order during Showcase Showdown
- Players keep their own scores during Showcase Showdown
- Big Wheel is free spinning so landing with the arrow on a line is possible
- Showcase Showdown Bonus Spin not prompted by game
- Pictures of prizes slighter larger than a postage stamp
- Players not prompted on which pricing game or Showcase to play

Conclusion: Once you decide on some ground rules, the game is worth the twenty sessions the game provides. The search of a home game that does the series justice continues...
[/quote]

That's why I've always said the fans do it better. They know how to pay attention to detail.

-Dan Berger

alfonzos

« Reply #792 on: March 06, 2009, 05:20:34 PM »
I, too, am impressed with volume of information in Endless Games' TPiR second edition but the presentation is awful. If I had players, I would have pimped the game with parts from Milton Bradley's 1986 edition and my own art work. The Big Wheel and Plinko from the Irwin Toy game would have made the ultimate TPiR home game.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

tvmitch

« Reply #793 on: March 13, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
There is now a 1 vs 100 game in the iPhone/iPod touch App Store at a $4.99 price point. Reviews look somewhat promising. Game is created by Gameloft.

Very nitpicky, but they could have done a better job with the vein display font. The angle is too severe, and it looks very grainy in the screenshots in the App Store.

/weighs in at almost 100MB, yikes
You should follow me on Twitter

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #794 on: March 13, 2009, 11:21:37 PM »
There's also an official Wheel of Fortune app available on iTunes for $4.99.

Features all the new music from the show, 1000 puzzles, touch-sensitive wheel (the faster you swipe, the faster it spins) and the Million Dollar wedge.

/7 megs
//Can't really go wrong

EDIT: After downloading, I see that, first of all, the new theme and other music is not there. Neither are 99% of the sound effects (not even the right DING!).

And second of all, the music that IS there is some polyphonic crap that you would hear on, say, a Nokia phone. Think inaccurate MIDI.

Pretty half-ass for an iPhone app, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 12:58:27 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com