Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464402 times)

BrandonFG

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2007, 05:38:56 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'157921\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 02:25 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'157884\' date=\'Jul 18 2007, 11:31 PM\']
Could Identity be the shortest-lived show to get a home game? If you go by episodes, you might have, what, 12 or 13, including the December trial week?
[/quote]
What about Top Secret? It only had a pilot and still managed to get a home game.
[/quote]
That might be what I was thinking of. Thanks!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Bob Zager

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2007, 05:56:57 PM »
Though the Endless Games website shows a 5th edition Password, with a box similar to the four previous versions, amazon.com is showing a box similar to the DVD version:

http://www.amazon.com/Password-Game-%252d-...1691&sr=8-1

RE: Identity game--Until now, I've been under the impression that the show would probably return as a mid-season replacement, since the show's site says it will return soon.  But with the moves made this week, I don't know whate to expect.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2007, 06:56:03 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'157938\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 02:07 PM\']
Staying on topic, re: the TPIR PC game, wouldn't one of the problems with having every game in the rotation be the random selection of said games during play?
[/quote]
Agree with Steve. It would be REALLY EASY to make the process, shall we say, less random. Whether they WILL, however, is another question entirely. It WOULD be fun to be sitting there saying "okay, they haven't played a car game yet today..."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2007, 06:59:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'157947\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 02:56 PM\']
Though the Endless Games website shows a 5th edition Password, with a box similar to the four previous versions, amazon.com is showing a box similar to the DVD version:
[/quote]
Wow, that's a LOT of air in that box. Disappointing.

/sez the man who has a good 5 separate card sets in his 15th Edition box

tpirfan28

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2007, 07:06:46 PM »
Yeah...that situation with the "ads" would be perfect.

Maybe as a relief to the whole "there'll only be X games on the disc" can be relieved with multiple expansion packs?  Maybe start with the 20 or so most popular...then start adding the other 80+ on other releases.  Each of those releases can update minor things (such as new doors, color changes, etc.).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2007, 07:36:37 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'157956\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 04:06 PM\']
 can be relieved with multiple expansion packs?  Maybe start with the 20 or so most popular...then start adding the other 80+ on other releases.  Each of those releases can update minor things (such as new doors, color changes, etc.).
[/quote]
If you think this game is going to sell REMOTELY well enough to merit that, you're not thinking.

In all honesty, you really should thank your lucky stars this thing is even coming out at all. Don't expect PDLC, because you're not gonna get it.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2007, 02:02:30 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'157951\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 05:56 PM\']
Staying on topic, re: the TPIR PC game, wouldn't one of the problems with having every game in the rotation be the random selection of said games during play?
[/quote]
I basically failed programming back in high school, but I don't understand how complicated this can be.

If you assigned each kind of prize some kind of variable/value, couldn't the game figure out "if 3 (car) hasn't been picked by PG#3, pull 3 and play game x"?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2007, 02:15:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'157982\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 11:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'157951\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 05:56 PM\']
[/quote]
I basically failed programming back in high school,
[/quote]
Quoting, too, apparently.

It would be dead easy to make sure that each six-game set contained one cash game, two car games, and three normal-prize games. DEAD easy. _I_ could write the code, that's how easy it is. The question is one of whether the developers will give enough of a shiat to do it. My guess is no.

JakeT

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2007, 03:07:03 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'157921\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 01:25 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'157884\' date=\'Jul 18 2007, 11:31 PM\']
Could Identity be the shortest-lived show to get a home game? If you go by episodes, you might have, what, 12 or 13, including the December trial week?
[/quote]
What about Top Secret? It only had a pilot and still managed to get a home game.[/quote]

And many years before "Top Secret", a Desilu game show titled "By The Numbers" didn't get past the pilot stage (though it has been said that it may well have briefly aired on a local basis in Los Angeles) but Milton Bradley still released the home game in anticipation of the coast-to-coast launch that never materialized.

Jake

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'157984\' date=\'Jul 20 2007, 03:07 AM\']And many years before "Top Secret", a Desilu game show titled "By The Numbers" didn't get past the pilot stage (though it has been said that it may well have briefly aired on a local basis in Los Angeles) but Milton Bradley still released the home game in anticipation of the coast-to-coast launch that never materialized.[/quote]
LA newspaper listings confirm that By The Numbers did air as a local show but yes, that still doesn't justify a national board game launch, so the intent must have been for the show to reach the network.  (Desilu's other show from that era, You Don't Say, enjoyed a similar local-to-national roll out.)

I spoke to Wink about Top Secret when he appeared on the Shokus Radio show.  He described the sequence of events that led to the board game coming out.  Short version is that Wink's company had sold the show to the daytime people at CBS, and Parker Brothers was so keen on the show that they pushed a box game into production to have it ready for the toy industry trade show that was scheduled a few weeks before the series was to debut.  In between the industry show and the air date, something happened (I believe he said there was a regime change at CBS) and the show didn't get picked up after all.  He called it one of his biggest disappointments.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Bob Zager

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2007, 11:31:08 AM »
I just got the PYL and Match Game DVD games, from boardgames.com.  I actually found them to be better than I'd expected!

The PYL game has been talked about previously, so I won't go into detail about that.  

The MG DVD kind of combines the three different versions of the 70's-90's.  How?  Well, all the questions and video footage are from the Rayburn version, scoring is in the form of money (like the '90-'91 version), and only FIVE celebrities participate in the game (like the '98-'99 series).  Up to six people can play the game, and all players write down their own answer to all questions played in the game.

There are 25 different games contained on disc, and you choose a specific game by number, using your DVD's remote control.  The game I chose to try it out with, featured Brett, Charles, Richard, JoAnne Pflug, and Fannie Flagg.

There are two regulation rounds to the game.  The first round consists of two questions, with each match paying $50.  After both questions have been played, all players can add to their total in the "Super Match," which is just the "audience match," portion of the TV show.  The second round is played like round one, only each match pays $100!  After the second round, any ties are broken with one question, and the players who are tied must write down an answer, but they cannot be identical ones.  There is a "house rule," that before the game starts, determine the order of players, so that in the event of a tie, one player goes first, followed by the next person going clockwise, and so on.

After a winner is determined, that player gets the chance to play the "Star Match" to try to double his/her earnings.  They make it look like a randomizer of celebrity photos picks the star you have to match.

Though video of Gene Rayburn reading the questions is used throughout the game, the audio instructing players what to do is by Todd Newton, who of course hosts the PYL DVD, and is heard (but not seen), on TPIR and Password DVD games!

Mike Tennant

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2007, 01:24:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'157999\' date=\'Jul 20 2007, 11:31 AM\']
Well, all the questions and video footage are from the Rayburn version . . . and only FIVE celebrities participate in the game (like the '98-'99 series).[/quote]
That would seem to be a little confusing.  You see six celebrities on the screen, but you only hear from five of them?  What happened to Bart Braverman's response?  Or that cute soap star's?

Do they show the full panel at any point?

Bob Zager

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2007, 10:49:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'158010\' date=\'Jul 20 2007, 01:24 PM\']

Do they show the full panel at any point?
[/quote]

No.  They show stills of the celebrities for that particular game chosen, and Todd Newton introduces them.  The game also displays blocks on the screen, showing the answers the stars wrote (though you do see them hold up the card with the answer written on them, and hear their verbal comments as when the episode originally aired).

I'd say that since six dry-erase boards/markers are supplied, you could even do your own in-home MG party with enough people.

Bob Zager

« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2007, 01:23:34 PM »
Click the following link, and you'll see news about more AYSTAFG products, slated to come out in October!

http://www.playthings.com/article/CA646661...ndustryid=47325

Bob Zager

« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2007, 02:09:56 PM »
While checking the iToys site, to see if any new info about their forthcoming Family Feud electronic game, I saw an illustration for a 1 VS 100 handheld game!

While there was no information available on that, I thought to myself that maybe the expansion cartridges that are supposedly going to be available, will work with both versions.