Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464145 times)

bwood

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #975 on: October 27, 2009, 08:13:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'229313\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 07:51 PM\']ONLY gripes?

Those sound...significant. Especially the outright bugs.

That's some fine programming work there, Ludia.[/quote]

Well, I only RENTED the game ;-)
Had I plopped down the $40.......

Anyway, that whole BB thing happened on my first game. I believe I hit it one other game and it was correct, and one other time it gave me the most expensive thing on the board again (true meaning of Big Bucks I guess). I wasn't really paying attention during the $5000 fiasco, but I'm pretty sure I had about $5k+ then all of a sudden had $10K+ after hitting BB. Maybe that problem stems from them going back in and changing the board patterns, and forgetting something somewhere.

So far it's still been playable and I haven't seen that glitch happen again since, we'll see what happens. I'll see how my wife likes it when she gets home. From what I've played so far I have had fun.

The Whammies aren't that bad either, no "voices" from what I've seen so far though. A lot of classic throwbacks, and some new ones thrown in too (I had an "America's Got Talent" themed Whammy once).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:14:34 PM by bwood »

comicus

« Reply #976 on: October 27, 2009, 09:00:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'229314\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 07:59 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'229313\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 07:51 PM\']That's some fine programming work there, Ludia.[/quote]Can you link us to some of the games you've worked on?
[/quote]
http://fredsmythe.com/resume.html

More than you, junior.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #977 on: October 27, 2009, 09:18:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'229314\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 04:59 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'229313\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 07:51 PM\']That's some fine programming work there, Ludia.[/quote]Can you link us to some of the games you've worked on?[/quote]I do not make my living as a computer game programmer, but I can sure tell when a game is crap.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #978 on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
[quote name=\'comicus\' post=\'229317\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 08:00 PM\'][quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'229314\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 07:59 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'229313\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 07:51 PM\']That's some fine programming work there, Ludia.[/quote]Can you link us to some of the games you've worked on?
[/quote]
http://fredsmythe.com/resume.html

More than you, junior.
[/quote]
Time to debut this?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

bwood

« Reply #979 on: October 27, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »
Here's some video of gameplay from YouTube courtesy of GameShowGamer (with good examples of "BIG BUCKS! You won the trip!")
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:26:14 PM by bwood »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #980 on: October 27, 2009, 09:21:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'229314\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 07:59 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'229313\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 07:51 PM\']That's some fine programming work there, Ludia.[/quote]Can you link us to some of the games you've worked on?
[/quote]

I've never liked that fallacy of shutting down the critic because they aren't professionals in the field they're criticizing. And even if we accept that here (as Chris has done some of his own programming), what is your point? That Ludia should be forgiven for these mistakes because they try really hard and they're really swell guys? Some of those bugs/"style choices" would really bother me if I spent cash money on the disc to find them out. I appreciate their connection to the fan community, but you don't get into games to put out titles with mistakes. You shouldn't, anyway.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

nate80s

« Reply #981 on: October 27, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »
Okay time for me to whine about the new PYL 2010.

PROS:
- The actual buzz-in and pass sound effects are authentic to the show's
- The introduction is just like the show's
- Actual theme music is used between rounds
- You have to acutally swing down the remote to buzz-in and stop the board
- Most spaces are in their proper place

CONS:
- The fonts for the spaces are wrong (I had a feeling this was gonna happen)
- The big board sound effect is used for only 2 seconds after the board appears on the screen.  And its the '83
  version, at that
- The sound effect to add spins to for the player is not original (not a big deal)
- The prize spaces are non-descriptive (no words, just a picture (i.e. plam tree))
- The color of the spaces aren't original, but close and don't change in some squares
- The "4" and "7" on the eggcrate display are really lousy
- The prize spaces are not removed once hit
- The whammy foghorn is cut off halfway through

When it comes to the question rounds, there are 4 multiple choice answers.  One answer is removed after a contestant buzzes in.  Question difficutly ranges from easy to medium.  The version on gameshowvideogames.com (I hate to say) has better big board graphics. However, it's an improvement from the DVD version.  I will probably have more fun with it if I had a buddy or two to play it with.  Not really worth $40, but $30 maybe.  Be sure to rent it first if you're skeptical.

And one other thing.  I know the original theme wasn't used and the pilot version was remade.  Does that make sense?  I don't see how the original theme wasn't remade.  I'm sure it would've sounded great.

I know I'm being really picky, I think I (and maybe some others) were let down here.  Let's hope the 2011 version is dead on.  Or... maybe there will be a plug and play game to show improvements.  I will be having more fun with Wii Fit Plus than this.  Enough complaining.  Thanks for bearing with me on this one.

chad1m

« Reply #982 on: October 27, 2009, 09:28:55 PM »
Yo, gang. I'm not sure at all why I'm being attacked. It was not a slam at Chris. I knew he worked in games with Microsoft, I just didn't know what department and I was curious to see the parallels between his expertise and what Ludia produces. I don't appreciate the rudeness at all.

BrandonFG

« Reply #983 on: October 27, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'229324\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 09:28 PM\']Yo, gang. I'm not sure at all why I'm being attacked. It was not a slam at Chris. I knew he worked in games with Microsoft, I just didn't know what department and I was curious to see the parallels between his expertise and what Ludia produces. I don't appreciate the rudeness at all.[/quote]
I'm not going to pile on, but your original comment did come across as a bit harsh, although I understand where you were coming from.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #984 on: October 27, 2009, 09:37:47 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'229320\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 09:20 PM\']Here's some video of gameplay from YouTube courtesy of GameShowGamer (with good examples of "BIG BUCKS! You won the trip!")[/quote]

Well, it looks pretty. My biggest gripe based on that is the too-fast board, but all the other problems are keeping me away from this one. Hopefully, like Nate said, they take another swing at PYL and improve it. They have the look down pat. Now they need everything else to meet it.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #985 on: October 27, 2009, 09:38:33 PM »
The PC version works the same way, except they gave me the trip with Big Bucks instead of the $1250.

My only gripe was that my girlfriend wanted to play against me, but sadly she had to wait her turn. Otherwise its a decent game.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #986 on: October 27, 2009, 09:50:08 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'229326\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 08:37 PM\']They have the look down pat. Now they need everything else to meet it.
-Jason[/quote]
Totally agreed, but I think it's funny how we've seen other programmers (namely Curt King) get most, if not all of that down pat with less.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

NickS

« Reply #987 on: October 28, 2009, 12:25:40 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'229325\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 08:36 PM\'][quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'229324\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 09:28 PM\']Yo, gang. I'm not sure at all why I'm being attacked. It was not a slam at Chris. I knew he worked in games with Microsoft, I just didn't know what department and I was curious to see the parallels between his expertise and what Ludia produces. I don't appreciate the rudeness at all.[/quote]
I'm not going to pile on, but your original comment did come across as a bit harsh, although I understand where you were coming from.
[/quote]
Re-reading after the knowledge that you did know what Chris has done, ok - now if you had made that known in your original request, you probably wouldn't have been slammed.

ObPYL2010: While it's not the PYL handheld, I just don't know if I'd spend money on this.  IIRC, JC_Ludia had mentioned when trying to get the game boards right that he only had a certain amount of time to do it.  Maybe that's part of the rush job when it comes to some of the issues aforementioned.

Sodboy13

« Reply #988 on: October 28, 2009, 02:13:48 AM »
I'm surprised no one else has picked up on this, but it sure as hell stood out for me in that YouTube video:

In round one, every trip space (airplane icon) is worth $3000.
In round two, every trip space (island icon) is worth $4000.

Every.  Single.  Time.

That's more than one programmer and quality tester at Ludia functioning at their absolute laziest.  And that's a guarantee of me not plunking down my money.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #989 on: October 28, 2009, 03:51:34 AM »
While I appreciate the support, gang, in the interest of full disclosure I want to be up-front about this: I don't code. I write words and promote things, depending on what hat I have on on a given day.

That said, what I *do* do, especially what I've done at Microsoft over the last wow-it's-almost-been-three-years, has me working pretty closely with a wide variety of games, casual and otherwise, and between my co-workers and my circle of friends I'm basically surrounded by people who work in pretty much every stage in the development process; enough to have gleaned a thing or two about how the process SHOULD work, and certainly enough to know crap when I see it.

And this thing, just like TPiR and FF before it, has we-outsourced-everything-to-Eastern-Europe-and-didn't-care-to-budget-for-quality-control-or-maybe-we-outsourced-that-too written ALL over it. No matter how much kissing-of-hands and shaking-of-babies the head honcho does over at G-R, the fact is that the finished product is hacked together and bugs that really aren't all that hard to find aren't getting smoked out. Other people might be okay with that, and really that's what Ludia counts on, but my standards are a bit higher than that. I've been playing these games for thirty years, and I've played enough bad ones, thanks. Life's too short. :)

Really, Ludia looks at this like the new Jay Leno show: It doesn't matter if it sucks, because it costs a lot-lot-LOT less than a triple-A title to develop and therefore expectations are a whole lot lower and they make money a whole lot sooner, especially if you can take basically the same code and release it on every device you can think of with a microprocessor and a screen on it. I'm expecting this thing to show up on my goddamn electric razor by the end of the week.

Their audience is not the people who are looking for a quality video game, their audience are the people who will buy it because of the logo on the cover. And there's enough of those people for them to make money.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 04:05:12 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe