Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scheduling of Barker's victory lap  (Read 3152 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Scheduling of Barker's victory lap
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:43:56 AM »
I am of the opinion that a more lucrative idea for CBS would've been to have Bob's last daytime show happen at the end of May sweeps, then use those last two scheduled taping weeks for an extended series of $1,000,000 Spectaculars to fill Thursdays at 8 for most of the Summer. I'm of the mindset that it would have done better numbers that Survivor: Pirate Master - Pretty Much The Exact Same Thing will pull. Or, failing that, even run them Fridays at 8.

Seems a bit anticlimactic to do a Spectacular and a Celebrate Bob! in sweeps prime time, then bow out with a regular old daytime show in June (even with the same-night replay).

What am I missing?
@lambertman

tvwxman

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 11:16:04 AM »
I don't think you're missing anything.

I get the feeling that CBS brass didn't think it would be June 1st without having yet named a successor.

I get the feeling they thought it would be Dave Price all along.

I also get the feeling that the mid-June airing of TPIR primetime was a last minute thing , after seeing (again!) how well TPIR does in primetime.

And, not that we're playing a rousing game of "Are You Smarter Than Les Moonves?", but had I looked at the numbers for EVERY ONE OF THE LAST 5 YEARS WORTH OF THE MILLION DOLLAR SPECTACULARS, I'd run repeats of them all summer long, with Bob's final curtain staged for the fall, right before the host switch.

But that's just me.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 11:16:42 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 12:23:45 PM »
Now I'm curious...how many primetime specials have aired since '02 (has it really been that long?!)? If at least eight or 10, I agree that would make an excellent summer rerun.

*thinks* Well there was the 30th anniversary show, an Armed Forces special (both early-02), a few Saturday specials from summer-03, college night, and other various episodes...that's about eight right there.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 12:31:51 PM »
I *think* there somewhere in the 20's + 1 for Vegas.  Steve will probably be around and give an exact number.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 06:45:18 PM »
Let me at least start with what I know right now...

The 30th Anniversary Special from Las Vegas
The Salutes to the Armed Forces, Firefighters, and Police (6 episodes)
The February '03 MDS Series (3 episodes)
The Mid-May '03 MDS series (3 episodes)
Bob's 80th Birthday MDS special
The College Students' MDS special
The Final MDS
The Salute to Bob's 50 Years on Television

So, if you add them all up, that's at least 17 right there. I am sure there's a gap in time that I missed, but I know these episodes to be fairly certain.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

tpirfan28

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 06:50:30 PM »
The last numbered episode is #0023SP, which entails all the specials from 2002 on, except for the Vegas special, which is #0001LV.  That makes 24.

If you really wanted to go the extra mile, +6 for the '86 specials....
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 06:52:09 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'154086\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 12:23 PM\']
Now I'm curious...how many primetime specials have aired since '02 (has it really been that long?!)? If at least eight or 10, I agree that would make an excellent summer rerun.[/quote]

24.  The 30th Anniversary Special (although rerunning that in Season 35 would be kind of silly), the six Military Specials, the 16 MDSs, and A Celebration of Bob Barker's 50 Years on Television.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 07:03:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'154112\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 05:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'154086\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 12:23 PM\']
Now I'm curious...how many primetime specials have aired since '02 (has it really been that long?!)? If at least eight or 10, I agree that would make an excellent summer rerun.[/quote]

24.  The 30th Anniversary Special (although rerunning that in Season 35 would be kind of silly), the six Military Specials, the 16 MDSs, and A Celebration of Bob Barker's 50 Years on Television.
[/quote]

Was I right on the list I gave? if so, which 7 MDS's did I miss from the list?

I believe I have them, but logging them has been a pain in the rear.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

tpirfan28

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 07:09:41 PM »
I know that you missed the most recent set of three, the ones that had the "memorable moments" scrapbooks (like the last MDS).

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 07:12:41 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'154116\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 07:03 PM\']
Was I right on the list I gave? if so, which 7 MDS's did I miss from the list?[/quote]

Looked right to me.  You missed the college, teachers, "vote," and Hall of Fame episodes from 32 and the "memorable moments" trio from 33.

/Still thinks that "get out and vote" MDS was a stupid idea.

Card Shark

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 10:01:42 PM »
And, not that we're playing a rousing game of "Are You Smarter Than Les Moonves?", but had I looked at the numbers for EVERY ONE OF THE LAST 5 YEARS WORTH OF THE MILLION DOLLAR SPECTACULARS, I'd run repeats of them all summer long, with Bob's final curtain staged for the fall, right before the host switch.

[/quote]

Fall? At this rate, we're looking at next spring.
Adam Strom

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 01:08:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'154112\' date=\'Jun 2 2007, 06:52 PM\']
[/quote]
Thanks everyone for the math. :-)

24? Might as well do a full season of episodes right there...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!