Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So I'm going to try out for Millionaire...the big show this time.  (Read 6465 times)

WmLGage

So I'm going to try out for Millionaire...the big show this time.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 09:55:37 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'153503\' date=\'May 27 2007, 12:19 AM\']
[quote name=\'WmLGage\' post=\'153442\' date=\'May 26 2007, 11:13 AM\']
On the down side, however, apparently, the producers have decided to enforce their stated  "right to limit the number of times a person may audition for the show."  At the bottom of the page where one requests tickets for a taping, it now says, "If you have auditioned since June 2006 and have received a postcard saying you have not been selected for the Contestant Pool please do not audition again for this season of the show."  Which appears to limit one to one successful attempt (success being defined by passing the test) per year, at best.
[/quote]

That makes me scratch my head...I had tried out for the show back in October of '06 for Pop Culture Week. Now that I think about it, shouldn't that have made me ineligible to try out, considering I got the no postcard? Or does that just have to do with the audience members who audition for the show?
[/quote]

One possible explanation might be that they don't count auditions for the "special edition" weeks.  At my audition, when they were getting ready to give us the test, among other things, the PA-in-charge also announced that they would soon be doing auditions for the Movie and Pay For Your Wedding Weeks, and invited those present to try out for those shows (asking, e.g., if there were any engaged couples in the crowd).

I also note that this sttement appears only on the page where one requests tickets for a taping, and not on the the page where one requests a reservation for an Audition.

WmLGage

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 11:00:50 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'151411\' date=\'May 3 2007, 04:50 AM\']
I would say anywhere from 5-10% of those in a testing group get to have a brief interview with a contestant producer, based on my two audition experiences. And the interview is truly the make-or-break. Be yourself, be interesting, and you won't have any problem getting the contestant pool postcard.
[/quote]

And what if by being yourself you're not terribly interesting?  I would recommend being enthusiastic and excited (without being Deal-or-No-Deal over-the-top), but then I don't yet have the authority that comes with having been successful (success being defined by getting into the Contestant Pool).

Hopefully you'll get on the show and do better than I did!
[/quote]

How'd you do, if I may ask?

And by the way, I did get the check in the mail last week! Not even registered or anything like that! Just dumped in with all the circulars and bills. You think the show could send its winnings a little more securely.
[/quote]

I used to work as a legal assistant and we would mail high-dollar-amount checks using regular first-class mail all the time.  Generally speaking, the mails are fairly secure.  The only real "soft spot" is the recipient's mail box when that receptical is not itself very secure, which is where most mail theft occurs anyway.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 02:04:09 PM »
[quote name=\'WmLGage\' post=\'153508\' date=\'May 27 2007, 09:55 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'153503\' date=\'May 27 2007, 12:19 AM\']
[quote name=\'WmLGage\' post=\'153442\' date=\'May 26 2007, 11:13 AM\']
On the down side, however, apparently, the producers have decided to enforce their stated  "right to limit the number of times a person may audition for the show."  At the bottom of the page where one requests tickets for a taping, it now says, "If you have auditioned since June 2006 and have received a postcard saying you have not been selected for the Contestant Pool please do not audition again for this season of the show."  Which appears to limit one to one successful attempt (success being defined by passing the test) per year, at best.
[/quote]

That makes me scratch my head...I had tried out for the show back in October of '06 for Pop Culture Week. Now that I think about it, shouldn't that have made me ineligible to try out, considering I got the no postcard? Or does that just have to do with the audience members who audition for the show?
[/quote]

One possible explanation might be that they don't count auditions for the "special edition" weeks.  At my audition, when they were getting ready to give us the test, among other things, the PA-in-charge also announced that they would soon be doing auditions for the Movie and Pay For Your Wedding Weeks, and invited those present to try out for those shows (asking, e.g., if there were any engaged couples in the crowd).

I also note that this sttement appears only on the page where one requests tickets for a taping, and not on the the page where one requests a reservation for an Audition.
[/quote]

And I'll add the note that they said you could keep coming back to New York to try out as long as they were doing the tryouts for this particular season.

And what if by being yourself you're not terribly interesting? I would recommend being enthusiastic and excited (without being Deal-or-No-Deal over-the-top), but then I don't yet have the authority that comes with having been successful (success being defined by getting into the Contestant Pool).

I was discussing the process with one of the staff members and Mr. 25 Time Tryout Guy when we were waiting for our interviews, and I was saying that you really don't want a guy who's like a plank of wood up there. But also, you don't want to make yourself seem too fake as well, and that's the mistake I think a lot of people make when they try out...they try too hard to impress, and end up falling flat on their faces.

So we'll see what kind of an effort I made when the postcard comes.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WmLGage

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 05:54:17 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'153522\' date=\'May 27 2007, 12:04 PM\']
I was discussing the process with one of the staff members and Mr. 25 Time Tryout Guy when we were waiting for our interviews, and I was saying that you really don't want a guy who's like a plank of wood up there. But also, you don't want to make yourself seem too fake as well, and that's the mistake I think a lot of people make when they try out...they try too hard to impress, and end up falling flat on their faces.

So we'll see what kind of an effort I made when the postcard comes.
[/quote]

Same here, as far as finding out whether or not I made a good impression.

I can honestly say that my excitement and enthusiasm at the time was completely genuine and not an "act."  I remember telling myself all during the weeks before I went to New York that I had to remember to put on my "game face" for the audition, but when the time came, I just got into the process and didn't have to feign any sort of positive emotion.  I think that talking with fellow contestant wannabes helps, because you reinforce one another's excitement and enthusiasm, and that just gets stronger when someone with whom you've "bonded" in this way also passes the test and you can share that excitement, as well.

WmLGage

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 09:00:19 PM »
[quote name=\'WmLGage\' post=\'153442\' date=\'May 26 2007, 09:13 AM\']
On the down side, however, apparently, the producers have decided to enforce their stated  "right to limit the number of times a person may audition for the show."  At the bottom of the page where one requests tickets for a taping, it now says, "If you have auditioned since June 2006 and have received a postcard saying you have not been selected for the Contestant Pool please do not audition again for this season of the show."  
[/quote]

Well, word must get around.  I just rechecked the "Request Tickets" page today and the above-quoted statement has unaccountably disappeared!  In its place is the following:

Millionaire reserves the right to limit the number of times a person may audition for the show

Contestant Pool Expiration:
If you have auditioned for the Millionaire hosted by Meredith Vieira and received a post card putting you in the Contestant Pool do NOT audition again.

Needless to say, this makes a LOT more sense.  After all, if one were swimming in the Contestant Pool, why would one even THINK about auditioning again?

So all you "Thanks for Auditioning" card holders can breathe easier and reserve that next audition date!

PYLdude

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »
[quote name=\'WmLGage\' post=\'153946\' date=\'May 31 2007, 09:00 PM\']
So all you "Thanks for Auditioning" card holders can breathe easier and reserve that next audition date!
[/quote]

Count me as one of them, then...the postcard came today, and it was a "no" postcard. Oh well, there's always a next time.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

WmLGage

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 08:42:59 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'154014\' date=\'Jun 1 2007, 11:49 AM\']
[/quote]

Count me as one of them, then...the postcard came today, and it was a "no" postcard. Oh well, there's always a next time.
[/quote]
Sorry to hear, and better luck next time.  Interesting that you got the card already.  As I previously indicated, I read on a blog on another site about a guy who tested on May 1st and got the card on the 19th.  Now I read that you tested on the 17th and have already gotten the card -- 15 days later.  Between two to three weeks seems to be the average.  Given that I tested only four days after you, I guess next week will tell the tale in my case.

PYLdude

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 11:49:32 PM »
[quote name=\'WmLGage\' post=\'154041\' date=\'Jun 1 2007, 08:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'154014\' date=\'Jun 1 2007, 11:49 AM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Sorry to hear, and better luck next time.  Interesting that you got the card already.  As I previously indicated, I read on a blog on another site about a guy who tested on May 1st and got the card on the 19th.  Now I read that you tested on the 17th and have already gotten the card -- 15 days later.  Between two to three weeks seems to be the average.  Given that I tested only four days after you, I guess next week will tell the tale in my case.
[/quote]

I wish you luck, and hope that you get on.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »
[quote name=\'WmLGage\' post=\'153511\' date=\'May 27 2007, 10:00 AM\']
Hopefully you'll get on the show and do better than I did!
[/quote]

How'd you do, if I may ask?
[/quote]
Hopefully Dave won't mind me linking you up to this thread we had talking about it.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)