Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Price is Right" taping question  (Read 6195 times)

rialtus

"Price is Right" taping question
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 02:54:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154386\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 12:41 PM\']Generally, teachers are salaried anyhow, right? You'd have to be, if you were hourly, you could claim those hours spent correcting papers as overtime and make a mint, based on watching my ex-girlfriend. (Life just hasn't been the same since that restraining order.)

So the way it happens where my mom (who is not a teacher, she's a school secretary, but it still applies, I think) works, is that employees get the same amount of money regardless, but they have the choice whether they want it spread over the entire year, or just when they are working.

So really, at least in my mom's case, "getting paid over the summer" is a misnomer. You get paid the same regardless, it's just a matter of the installments in which you want to receive it.[/quote]My wife is a salaried teacher. She has the option of being paid only in those months that she works, or being paid every month. Either way, she makes the same annual salary. It's just a matter of what they divide that annual salary by to get the money to her.

...and, though no one asked, she gets paid monthly.

davemackey

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 06:00:23 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'154374\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 12:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'154372\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 12:32 PM\']
Absolutely not.  Yesterday was the last day for teachers at my school until possibly early September.  The only thing to cross my mind this morning at 8 AM was "What should I do on this first full day off this summer?"  The answer:  Go back to sleep.  It's good to be a teacher.
[/quote]

I've always wondered, since I've graduated from high school back in 1999, if teachers get paid over the summer break.  If so, what a great gig!
[/quote]
No, I get only 10 months of pay, but I put away a little to save for the summer so that I'm not totally broke during my long vacation. (Which I forgot to do last summer.)

weaklink75

tvwxman

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 08:56:15 PM »
Change is good.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

SteveR

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 09:24:20 PM »
Careful ... there's a Reuters report out there that does contain gameplay info. (You won't see it from me!)

That said, there have been myriad writers in the last year who don't know the difference between the Showcase Showdown and the Showcase itself. Yuck.

One thing the report does say (and I can't recall reading it here) is that Barker "said he would be willing to fill in at the start of the new season until a new [host] is chosen."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 12:13:52 AM by SteveR »

J.R.

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 11:25:59 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'154419\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 08:24 PM\']
One thing the report does say (and I can't recall reading it here) is that Barker "said he would be willing fill in at the start of the new season until a new [host] is chosen."
[/quote]

Then I hope they find a replacement soon and fast.
-Joe Raygor

HYHYBT

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 01:49:11 AM »
That said, there have been myriad writers in the last year who don't know the difference between the Showcase Showdown and the Showcase itself. Yuck.
Nonetheless, the article is true as written.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2007, 01:55:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'154357\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 06:09 AM\']How many of you woke up on this morning and one of the first things you thought of was, "This is the day Bob Barker tapes his last show"?[/quote]Last night, as I was going to sleep, I hear the 2:00 AM CBS radio national news update, I heard the news bit, otherwise I would have not known about it.

[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'154362\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 07:15 AM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'154361\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 09:31 AM\'] Here's  a small article about fans waiting for today's show.Not sure if I agree with this quote from a potential contestant: "I'd rather win a couch from Bob Barker than a million dollars from Howie Mandel"[/quote]I'll give the fellow a pass on his lapse of logic seeing how by now he could be quite sleep-deprived.[/quote]During the above-mentioned audio snippet,  I heard from a guy who is either very unemployed or quickly running out of vacation days, because he had the first spot on the line. He said to the reporter that he would not trade his spot for $10,000.

Hyperbole, sleep-deprivation, either or neither, it is this kind of thing that really makes me scratch my head.
Travis L. Eberle

dzinkin

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2007, 06:39:21 AM »
[quote name=\'SteveR\' post=\'154419\' date=\'Jun 6 2007, 09:24 PM\']
[/quote]
There's a difference?

(diving for cover to avoid Gavazzi's wrath ;-)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2007, 10:29:18 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'154454\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 12:49 AM\']
[/quote]
Maybe, maybe not.  There's one item in the Reuters story that directly conflicts the Yahoo news story (Yahoo's story claims Barker's final goodbye was only for the studio audience and that he did his usual "spayed/neutered" spiel on camera with no reference to this being his final show, while the Reuters story suggests otherwise).

Leads one to wonder what else might be wrong in the Reuters article if the Yahoo story is, in fact, the way it went down.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

AZAndrewG

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2007, 05:55:45 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'154488\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 09:29 AM\']
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'154454\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 12:49 AM\']
[/quote]
Maybe, maybe not.  There's one item in the Reuters story that directly conflicts the Yahoo news story (Yahoo's story claims Barker's final goodbye was only for the studio audience and that he did his usual "spayed/neutered" spiel on camera with no reference to this being his final show, while the Reuters story suggests otherwise).

Leads one to wonder what else might be wrong in the Reuters article if the Yahoo story is, in fact, the way it went down.
[/quote]

I was there covering it for Westwood One radio, and Barker gave a final goodbye both at the end of the show and after the cameras stopped rolling.  Just before going into his "control the pet population" routine, Barker thanked the home audience for his 50 years in television.  Afterwards, in addressing the audience the way he normally does, he repeated his thanks, in case they did not hear him during the show with all the applpause going on.

Also, I have a confession to make.  In the Reuters story, it mentions how Barker briefly lost his composure during the post-show press conference when talking about a visit from a longtime friend of his just before the final episode.  I admit, that was in response to my question.  I had asked him if memories of his 50-year career kept coming to mind while he was hosting his final show.

All in all, it's an experience I will never forget.

Andrew M. Greenstein
For fast, affordable web design, log on to

AMG Web Design

gaubster2

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 08:09:19 PM »
Also, I have a confession to make.  In the Reuters story, it mentions how Barker briefly lost his composure during the post-show press conference when talking about a visit from a longtime friend of his just before the final episode.  I admit, that was in response to my question.  I had asked him if memories of his 50-year career kept coming to mind while he was hosting his final show.

All in all, it's an experience I will never forget.

Andrew M. Greenstein
[/quote]

May I ask who the "long-time friend" was?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:10:27 PM by gaubster2 »

AZAndrewG

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2007, 01:29:56 AM »
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'154589\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 07:09 PM\']
[/quote]

Bob said it was someone who had worked with him on "Truth or Consequences" and later worked for CBS (but not for Price) and is also retiring this year.  He stopped by Bob's dressing room prior to his last show to say goodbye, and in recalling that moment, Bob briefly lost his composure.
For fast, affordable web design, log on to

AMG Web Design

uncamark

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 03:09:16 PM »
[quote name=\'AZAndrewG\' post=\'154619\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 12:29 AM\']
[quote name=\'gaubster2\' post=\'154589\' date=\'Jun 7 2007, 07:09 PM\']
[/quote]

Bob said it was someone who had worked with him on "Truth or Consequences" and later worked for CBS (but not for Price) and is also retiring this year.  He stopped by Bob's dressing room prior to his last show to say goodbye, and in recalling that moment, Bob briefly lost his composure.
[/quote]

I thought it might be Bill Chesnutt, who directed the last few years of syndicated "T or C" and was a stage crew member on "TPIR" for many years (mentioned by Barker frequently as the man running the Hole-in-One Inspiration Putt pool), but Chesnutt did retire some years ago and worked on "TPIR."