Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration  (Read 5394 times)

Chelsea Thrasher

Classic Concentration
« on: June 08, 2007, 04:25:20 AM »
Something I've never completely understood is just exactly why NBC aired reruns of Classic Concentration for just over 2 years.  Was it cancelled and NBC got desperate for filler programming?  What exactly went on that a daytime game show would stop producing episodes, but continuing airing reruns of the show on the network for two more years?

davemackey

Classic Concentration
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:35:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'154624\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 04:25 AM\']
Something I've never completely understood is just exactly why NBC aired reruns of Classic Concentration for just over 2 years.  Was it cancelled and NBC got desperate for filler programming?  What exactly went on that a daytime game show would stop producing episodes, but continuing airing reruns of the show on the network for two more years?
[/quote]
In no particular order:

Economy
An eye towards the books
Cheapness
Apathy
Repurposing the show

Many couldn't even tell the difference until they saw the copyright date at the end of the show.

narzo

Classic Concentration
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 06:53:17 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'154626\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 04:35 AM\']
[/quote]
In no particular order:

Economy
An eye towards the books
Cheapness
Apathy
Repurposing the show

Many couldn't even tell the difference until they saw the copyright date at the end of the show.
[/quote]

Don't think the CBS brass aren't thinking the same thing re: TPIR

Jimmy Owen

Classic Concentration
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »
First-run CC was cancelled on the same day as daytime WOF (Sept 13 or 20/91, depending on your market.)  NBC had a myriad of talk-service shows ("One on One," "Cover to Cover," "Closer Look," etc.) that they hoped would find an audience.  None of the service shows really worked and back came CC in early Nov 91 (in reruns but as it turned out they performed as well at the outset as new shows.)

Not every affil carried the show post 91 and some who did put it on at ghastly hours.  I have a TV Guide from LA with a half-page display ad for CC that shows KNBC airing it at 3:05 AM.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

Classic Concentration
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:00:46 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'154627\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 06:53 AM\']
order:

Economy
An eye towards the books
Cheapness
Apathy
Repurposing the show

[/quote]

[/quote]

Instead of Bob Barker doing a voiceover saying "Dont be fooled by my dark hair" (in the days when he let his hair go gray and there were reruns of the pre-gray hair airing), he'll be starting each rerun saying "Don't be fooled by my appearance here...I'm retired, I'm a chick magnet, and I'm still making money off of you bozos who couldn't play Ten Chances! correctly".

Ian Wallis

Classic Concentration
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 11:20:40 AM »
I have a TV Guide from LA with a half-page display ad for CC that shows KNBC airing it at 3:05 AM.

KNBC seemed to be doing that with some of the game shows for quite a while.  A few of the last-week Scrabble episodes on the trade curcuit came from them, and their voiceover at the end indicates it was an overnight airing.

Never understood why an O&O would do that.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

Classic Concentration
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 11:25:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154637\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 10:00 AM\']
Not every affil carried the show post 91 and some who did put it on at ghastly hours.  I have a TV Guide from LA with a half-page display ad for CC that shows KNBC airing it at 3:05 AM.
[/quote]

I seem to remember WNBC airing it at odd times too, although I don't think it was overnight...Somewhere between the 9am-10am hour and also 3pm-4pm hour is what I recall....

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Classic Concentration
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 12:55:37 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'154651\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 11:25 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154637\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 10:00 AM\']
[/quote]

I seem to remember WNBC airing it at odd times too, although I don't think it was overnight...Somewhere between the 9am-10am hour and also 3pm-4pm hour is what I recall....
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, though, WNBC put CC in the 3-4 hour while it was still running new episodes, right? I seem to remember it paired with the last months of Scrabble in that slot, and that was still a year away from CC's cancellation.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 02:12:38 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

uncamark

Classic Concentration
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 01:09:47 PM »
To put it most simply--low clearance levels.  If "CC" had a full lineup, it would've been in production.  At that point, the reruns were just standing to keep the network light on for a half-hour when the network didn't want to give it back to the stations.

tvmitch

Classic Concentration
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 02:07:31 PM »
I don't recall my own WGAL (Lancaster, PA) airing the show *until* the rerun stage, because I remember noticing the four-year old copyright dates. But I might be wrong. I don't remember if KYW (then NBC) aired CC or not.

WGAL did air Scrabble/Scattergories at 3pm its entire short run, but no other games in that era aired in late fringe, from what I can remember.
You should follow me on Twitter

Jay Temple

Classic Concentration
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 09:22:51 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'154627\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 05:53 AM\']
[/quote]
In no particular order:

Economy
An eye towards the books
Cheapness
Apathy
Repurposing the show

[/quote]

[/quote]
In addition to the copyright dates at the end, viewers would also notice the cars' model years.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

sshuffield70

Classic Concentration
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 09:59:12 PM »
Not necessarily.  IIRC, they've sometimes been known to redo the description without the year.  Those are inserted into the reruns.

BrandonFG

Classic Concentration
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 10:09:02 PM »
I know WAVY aired the show for the first couple of years, then stopped. They then aired a double-run of repeats at 3 pm for maybe a week or two in fall-1991, before replacing it with "Jenny Jones". Always thought that was random, not to mention disappointing.

I remember seeing it about six months later in Maryland, in the 10 am hour. By this point, I knew how to read roman numerals, and remember wondering why they were showing reruns from 1988. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Classic Concentration
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 12:20:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'154624\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 03:25 AM\']
[/quote]
One other thing about that--there was a blub in USA TODAY during ClCn's rerun stretch in which Alex Trebek was quoted as saying that he and Mark Goodson both tried to convince NBC to produce new episodes given how good the ratings were for the reruns.  NBC took a pass.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)