Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR and the beginning  (Read 4889 times)

The Pyramids

TPIR and the beginning
« on: June 09, 2007, 05:01:53 PM »
I've never learned how exactly the show  came about. Was it first developed for syndication, heavily revamped from the Bill Cullen show with echos of 'Lets Make A Deal, with Dennis James onboard? Was it after this that CBS became interested in a daily show with the notable change of Bob Barker as host? Or was it first developed for CBS?

wdm1219inpenna

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 06:21:06 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'154803\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 04:01 PM\']
I've never learned how exactly the show  came about. Was it first developed for syndication, heavily revamped from the Bill Cullen show with echos of 'Lets Make A Deal, with Dennis James onboard? Was it after this that CBS became interested in a daily show with the notable change of Bob Barker as host? Or was it first developed for CBS?
[/quote]

Hello,

I've been in hibernation for quite a while, but found my way back to the boards.

My understanding is that "The Price is Right", along with "The Joker's Wild" and "Gambit" were all CBS gameshows from the start, and the impression I get from that is that TPIR was not first developed for syndication.  It may have been discussed about the network and syndication version being concurrent however.  CBS wanted to replace their tired old daytime 60's sitcom reruns with something "fresh", thus the 3 new games debuting on 4 Sept 1972.

Hope this helps.  My reply is merely an inference of what I know, but I have no hard core facts regarding your inquiry.

Regards,
Bill McD.

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 09:44:51 PM »
[quote name=\'wdm1219inpenna\' post=\'154808\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 06:21 PM\']
My understanding is that "The Price is Right", along with "The Joker's Wild" and "Gambit" were all CBS gameshows from the start, and the impression I get from that is that TPIR was not first developed for syndication.  It may have been discussed about the network and syndication version being concurrent however.[/quote]

Given that every single story I've ever heard about TPIR's origins that wasn't told by Barker involved the show being intended for syndication with James as the host and the CBS version being essentially an afterthought, I really can't fathom how you came to that conclusion.

Jimmy Owen

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 10:54:33 PM »
The first TV Guide item I can find about the revival was in the issue of 5/27/72.  I will quote the blurb for historical purposes: "Sign of the TV day-times: CBS is planning to resurrect that Goodson-Todman oldie of a less-inflationary age: The Price Is Right."  Of course, the trades may have reported that earlier than TVG.  

The 1972 NATPE was in February, but I'm not sure if the confab was as infuential then as it became.  One would think the NBC O&O's would have made the deal with Viacom before May of 72.  When was the pitch film shot?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

joshg

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 01:59:16 AM »
There is a decent article about 'Price' in the current Entertainment Weekly (with George and Brad on the cover). They talk to all the usual suspects, including Anitra!

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

brianhenke

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 08:52:13 AM »
[quote name=\'joshg\' post=\'154832\' date=\'Jun 10 2007, 01:59 AM\']
There is a decent article about 'Price' in the current Entertainment Weekly (with George and Brad on the cover). They talk to all the usual suspects, including Anitra!

Josh
[/quote]

Also, Paul Levine, the first Showcase winner.

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154825\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 10:54 PM\']
The first TV Guide item I can find about the revival was in the issue of 5/27/72.  I will quote the blurb for historical purposes: "Sign of the TV day-times: CBS is planning to resurrect that Goodson-Todman oldie of a less-inflationary age: The Price Is Right."  Of course, the trades may have reported that earlier than TVG.  
[/quote]

A few months later, one of their writers said the new show would be "for all intents and purposes, the same old Price is Right."
@lambertman

wdm1219inpenna

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 11:34:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'154821\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 09:44 PM\']
My understanding is that "The Price is Right", along with "The Joker's Wild" and "Gambit" were all CBS gameshows from the start, and the impression I get from that is that TPIR was not first developed for syndication.  It may have been discussed about the network and syndication version being concurrent however.[/quote]

Given that every single story I've ever heard about TPIR's origins that wasn't told by Barker involved the show being intended for syndication with James as the host and the CBS version being essentially an afterthought, I really can't fathom how you came to that conclusion.
[/quote]

Oh, stupid me!  I had a human moment.  Sorry.

Neumms

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 03:30:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'154821\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 08:44 PM\']

[/quote]

I know you're a good source, but wasn't Bud Grant, the CBS programming guy, something of an instigator, too? I recall a story that he went to Goodson, and Goodson said they'd have to change the show because nobody would watch four rounds of bidding on a dishwasher anymore.

davemackey

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 04:26:15 PM »
My understanding is that "The Price is Right", along with "The Joker's Wild" and "Gambit" were all CBS gameshows from the start, and the impression I get from that is that TPIR was not first developed for syndication.[/quote]
I really think these producers aren't thinking in terms of "what network can I sell this to". I don't think that Jack Barry ever dreamed he'd get CBS daytime on board when he originally conceived of Joker's Wild in the late 1960's, for example. Just happened that way.

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 04:41:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'154847\' date=\'Jun 10 2007, 03:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'154821\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 08:44 PM\']

[/quote]

I know you're a good source, but wasn't Bud Grant, the CBS programming guy, something of an instigator, too? I recall a story that he went to Goodson, and Goodson said they'd have to change the show because nobody would watch four rounds of bidding on a dishwasher anymore.
[/quote]

Hmm...can't answer that one.  Any takers?  Please?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Here's the presumed source of that notion, courtesy of Game Shows '75:

"CBS daytime programming chief Budd Grant urged Mark Goodson to revive the program in 1972, but Goodson realized the original version wouldn’t work with their daytime budget (four rounds of bids on a dishwasher?), so with Grant’s acquiescence, he revamped the entire show."

I take it that was culled from industry books, interviews and that sort of thing as well.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 05:16:48 PM »
I do wish Curt would have documented his sources a little better. That said, I doubt he intended for his site to be used as a reference source.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 11:59:33 PM »
Anyone who's seen the pitch film with Dennis James would logically conclude that the game was being marketed as a syndicated offering first, much like G-T's successful relaunches of WML? and TTTT.  I couldn't speak with any authority on how the network deal got made, but I think it's reasonable to assume that the original expectation was that the syndicated show was going to be the big deal, not the network version.  Funny how things work out.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 12:45:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'154878\' date=\'Jun 10 2007, 11:59 PM\']
Anyone who's seen the pitch film with Dennis James would logically conclude that the game was being marketed as a syndicated offering first, much like G-T's successful relaunches of WML? and TTTT.  I couldn't speak with any authority on how the network deal got made, but I think it's reasonable to assume that the original expectation was that the syndicated show was going to be the big deal, not the network version.  Funny how things work out.
[/quote]
Hmmm...makes me wonder had there never been a network version, would daytime game shows have died out much sooner than 1994?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!