Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR tickets and season 36  (Read 2653 times)

Card Shark

TPIR tickets and season 36
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:15:16 PM »
The CBS website now has this info under the tape dates section:

"Please continue to watch this site for news about tickets to The Price Is Right. We’re very excited about our upcoming 36th season and as soon as we announce our new host, we will have information right here about tape dates. "

When a host is chosen, how do you speculate that they plan on luring people back to tapings?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 03:16:23 PM by Card Shark »
Adam Strom

DrBear

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 03:17:51 PM »
I dunno ... maybe give them the chance to win prizes on stage?
Even without Bob, they'll have all the business they need.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 03:19:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'154795\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 12:15 PM\']
When a host is chosen, how do you speculate that they plan on luring people back to tapings?
[/quote]
Do you honestly think they'll NEED to?

For the last bunch of years, going to a TPiR taping has involved camping out for hours and generally putting yourself through a lot of crap that the average Joe just wouldn't do.

If anything, if the show settles down to something that people can plan as a day trip instead of having to make like you're trying to score Motley Crue tickets, I can only see that as being a good thing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'154797\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 03:19 PM\']
If anything, if the show settles down to something that people can plan as a day trip instead of having to make like you're trying to score Motley Crue tickets, I can only see that as being a good thing.
[/quote]
Quite honestly, if that can eliminate the 420-bidding fratboys and bridge clubs with their cornball T-shirts, I'm all for it.

I can only hope that the shows keeps its excitement while staying somewhat conventional at the same time. It's really gotten out of hand in recent years.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Argo

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 04:11:06 PM »
Just wonderin, at what time did the audience start becoming more loud college students? mid-late 80s? Call me old fashion, and i know i am, but i liked how the audience seemed to be more into the games, rather than just jumpin up and down looking for a monitor to see if they're on, before the time. Its nice to have energetic audiences, but sometimes it just goes over the top for me.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:18:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' post=\'154799\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 04:11 PM\']
Just wonderin, at what time did the audience start becoming more loud college students? mid-late 80s? Call me old fashion, and i know i am, but i liked how the audience seemed to be more into the games, rather than just jumpin up and down looking for a monitor to see if they're on, before the time. Its nice to have energetic audiences, but sometimes it just goes over the top for me.
[/quote]
If I had to guess, I'd say within the last 10-12 years...I'm almost positive it didn't become as loud until the mid-to-late-90s. Not sure if it's coincidence, but that's right around the time Bob became more and more impatient with the contestants.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's not coincidence at all. :-)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:19:04 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 04:45:07 PM »
I watched a couple of shows from March 2000 recently, and the audience still looked pretty normal...so I guess that means sometime in the last seven years.

/Of course, I could be wrong -- like I said, it was two episodes.

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 04:47:27 PM »
If I had to bet, the swing started after "Happy Gilmore" was released.  The full coronation of the $420 bid probably came sometime into Season 30.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 05:22:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'154801\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 04:45 PM\']
I watched a couple of shows from March 2000 recently, and the audience still looked pretty normal...so I guess that means sometime in the last seven years.
[/quote]
Now that you mention it, I remember there being a thread on...EZBoard perhaps, about how boring the show had become in recent years (this being late-2002/early-2003), and that it was starting to regain its excitement. So maybe the last 5-7 years? Back in the ATGS era (late-90s), there were posters who expressed concerns over Rod's lack of enthusiasm.

Speaking of which, how long had Rod been ill before he died?

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'154805\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 04:22 PM\']
[/quote]
Now that you mention it, I remember there being a thread on...EZBoard perhaps, about how boring the show had become in recent years (this being late-2002/early-2003), and that it was starting to regain its excitement. So maybe the last 5-7 years? Back in the ATGS era (late-90s), there were posters who expressed concerns over Rod's lack of enthusiasm.

[/quote]

I don't recall how long Rod was ill, but like you, I do recall way back on the atgs message boards, that several had made comments about Rod's less than enthusiastic announcing duties.  In retrospect, this very well may have coincided with his illness, but I don't know.

You and I spoke years ago and it's very nice to still see the likes of you and Chuck Donegan "The Illustrious Chucky Baby" around.  I participated on atgs starting around 1996, and it's good to be back on this board again talking game shows.  Hope to chat w/you sometime, very good to still hear from you after all these years gents!

Warmest regards,
Bill McD.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2007, 06:34:12 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'154805\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 05:22 PM\']
[/quote]

Well I think the production has shown a little more quality since 2003, especially the showcase presentations and the contestants.

Maybe because of the dismissal of Philip Wayne-Rossi?
Maybe because Stan Blits has a good eye picking contestants and writing good showcases?

I don't know.  But for me at least I've been enjoying it.
-Sanford

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 09:48:58 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'154805\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 05:22 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You know, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it was stated back when his cancer was first discovered in 2001 that it had been there undected for quite some time.  I've always wondered since then if that's why he was so unenthusiastic for so many years, especially given that his voice started to get its vigor back somewhat once his treatment got underway.