Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR and the beginning  (Read 4891 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 07:21:49 AM »
...makes me wonder had there never been a network version, would daytime game shows have died out much sooner than 1994?
There is nothing to suggest that TPIR has carried the rest of the genre for any period of time. The demise of daytime game shows probably has more to do with the changes in the corporate ownership of the three networks in 1986 than anything else.

tyshaun1

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 07:58:39 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'154887\' date=\'Jun 11 2007, 07:21 AM\']
...makes me wonder had there never been a network version, would daytime game shows have died out much sooner than 1994?
There is nothing to suggest that TPIR has carried the rest of the genre for any period of time.
[/quote]

I would go as far as to say that Match Game and Family Feud have done more for the genre than TPIR has ever done, despite Price lasting longer than both shows entire runs combined; even Match helped TPIR become successful.

Tyshaun

Kniwt

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 01:55:28 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'154855\' date=\'Jun 10 2007, 02:07 PM\']
Here's the presumed source of that notion, courtesy of Game Shows '75:

"CBS daytime programming chief Budd Grant urged Mark Goodson to revive the program in 1972, but Goodson realized the original version wouldn’t work with their daytime budget (four rounds of bids on a dishwasher?), so with Grant’s acquiescence, he revamped the entire show."

I take it that was culled from industry books, interviews and that sort of thing as well.
[/quote]

Here's a short passage from Maxene Fabe's book "TV Game Shows!" (1979):

The original Bob Stewart version of the show, which had aired over NBC and ABC in both daytime and nighttime versions from 1956 to 1965, had been like all game shows, a half-hour show. And in 1972, almost ten years later, that was what CBS had in mind when daytime vice-president Bud Grant called Mark Goodson to revive it.

... To his dismay, it took Goodson all of one week to realize that the old game, the original concept for The Price Is Right, no longe worked. Having contestants spend six or seven minutes making three bids on a modestly priced coffee table in these inflated times was boring; yet no show could afford to give away prizes expensive enough to make three bids interesting.

... Goodson told Grant his reluctant conclusion: "Unless you want a whole new show, we're going to have to cancel our deal," he said.

"No," said Grant. "Go ahead. I trust you. Overhaul it from top to bottom if you have to."

All the usual caveats about Maxene Fabe's book apply, of course.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 03:21:53 AM »
Maxine Fabe is misinformed. Higher-ups at G-T have told me TPIR was originally intended for syndication (specifically for the NBC-owned stations) with Dennis James as emcee.

A few points of interest:

- In her book, Maxine Fabe makes no mention of the sales tape done with Goodson and Dennis James.

- To the best of my knowledge, CBS never commissioned a pilot. I can't think of a good reason they wouldn't have ordered one.

- Barker was Bud Grant's idea.

- I suspect the new format was largely the brainchild of Frank Wayne.

Among the living, Jay Wolpert or Phil Rossi might know these things. Or Marc Breslow.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 03:25:39 AM by chris319 »

Clay Zambo

TPIR and the beginning
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 08:30:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Kniwt\' post=\'154940\' date=\'Jun 12 2007, 01:55 AM\']
All the usual caveats about Maxene Fabe's book apply, of course.
[/quote]

Maxine Fabe--now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.

Seems like she's got a new line o' work (and a new surname):

From the Stamford Advocate.
czambo@mac.com