Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which show is this?  (Read 5867 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Which show is this?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 01:42:51 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'155132\' date=\'Jun 13 2007, 10:15 PM\']
Or something. Wow. That spiraled out of control in a hurry. Anyway, I don't have a problem with it. Is the problem more that it pertains to religion at all, or one that you don't follow?
[/quote]
At all. Freedom of religion includes freedom *from* religion, and I feel like he's getting in my face about it, a little. That's why I think it's inappropriate, but at the same time, I see the other points made here. Yeah, I can turn off sigs, but should I have to turn off sigs just because of one guy?

(Really, I'm not hopping-up-and-down pissed about it, at all. I thought it was inappropriate and I said so. That's all.)
I don't like the idea of setting a precedent where people are lauded for doing what they're supposed to.
And *I'm* the class curmudgeon?

I don't see the harm in making someone feel good by heaping a little praise every now and again, especially if the less clueful among our membership see it and maybe realize something.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

Which show is this?
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 01:48:01 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'155132\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 12:15 AM\']
"ALLAH AKBAR YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR INSOLENCE SCRABBLE AND SALE OF THE CENTURY ARE BEING BOGARTED BY GSN JUST TO TAUNT THE FANS ALL YOUR BASES LOADED BELONG TO US"
[/quote]

I lol'd :-)
-Joe Raygor

kenbob_clarker

Which show is this?
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 02:12:08 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'155132\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 12:15 AM\']
I'm certainly not going to complain because I can turn off signatures if I want to, and someone saying "This is a spiffy Bible passage, and you ought to read it" is fairly mild, compared to "ALLAH AKBAR YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR INSOLENCE SCRABBLE AND SALE OF THE CENTURY ARE BEING BOGARTED BY GSN JUST TO TAUNT THE FANS ALL YOUR BASES LOADED BELONG TO US"
[/quote]
Good Lawd.  I'm a professing Christian, but I hate it when fire and brimstone and all that fun stuff are brought into it.  Makes our ministry (and our God, for that matter) look bad.

/Oh, and by the by, Kenbob, you nailed the slashy thing just right.
//Welcome aboard, and enjoy your stay.
Thank you kindly.  I most certainly will.
/This is not a slashy
//And I am not a nutjob-at-heart
///I didn't just lie twice
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Which show is this?
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 04:58:22 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155134\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 12:42 AM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'155132\' date=\'Jun 13 2007, 10:15 PM\']
Or something. Wow. That spiraled out of control in a hurry. Anyway, I don't have a problem with it. Is the problem more that it pertains to religion at all, or one that you don't follow?
[/quote]
At all. Freedom of religion includes freedom *from* religion, and I feel like he's getting in my face about it, a little. That's why I think it's inappropriate, but at the same time, I see the other points made here. Yeah, I can turn off sigs, but should I have to turn off sigs just because of one guy?
[/quote]
How's he getting in your face with it, even a little?  It is just one line below his main point.  If he had put it into his message, and every message like Henke did (does?), I think your complaint would have more merit.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 04:58:37 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

Which show is this?
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'155132\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 01:15 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'155114\' date=\'Jun 13 2007, 05:58 PM\']A newbie who took the time to learn some of our inside jokes and knows how to -- for lack of a more secular phrase -- "turn the other cheek".  I'm impressed.[/quote]I don't like the idea of setting a precedent where people are lauded for doing what they're supposed to.[/quote]
On my part, I'm not really impressed that he took the time to learn the rules before posting.  I'm a little surprised, but only because after the wave of "I'm used to the GSN board so you need to change your rules to be just like theirs" nonsense we've seen from the GSGs, Xaviers and --Richards lately, Mr. Clarker's post seems a relative rarity.  Learning some of our inside jokes beforehand is something else -- it certainly isn't anywhere in our rules that people know them, and the fact that he took the time is indeed impressive.  (And after a certain now-banned poster's insistence that it was my job to explain every inside joke to him, repeatedly, until he got it, I'll take this any day.)

As for the Bible reference: I don't want to see religious flame wars here any more than political ones, but if such references are kept to a line in a .sig and aren't insulting anyone else's religion in the process, I don't see the harm.  Of course, if Mr. Clarker tries to tell me that the second half of Guide_Angel's name is some sort of divine reference and tries to proselytize on her behalf, yeah, he's going to have a problem on his hands.  I get the impression that he's too much of a mensch to try that, though.  ;-)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 09:17:17 AM by dzinkin »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Which show is this?
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'155137\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 01:58 AM\']
How's he getting in your face with it, even a little?  
[/quote]
I wasn't going to go into this any further, but you asked. And I thought about it last night, and I figured it out. And it's very semantic, but it's an important semantic.

The word "you'll."

If it was "the best news I've ever read?" I wouldn't have blinked. But as soon as he says "it's the best news you'll ever read," the vibe I get from that moves away from a simple statement of religious pride and into recruiting. And that bugs me. I absolutely support KenBob's right to believe anything he wants. But when he starts, even a little, to tell me what I should believe (which is exactly what that single word does to the meaning of that statement), then my eyebrow raises.

Mind, I'm not screaming for him to change it, or yelling at the mods to Do Something About It, or anything of that sort. Not at all. It's just not *that* important. But it did squick me a little, and I said so.

And if he gave that some consideration and made the decision he did to stand behind it anyhow with the knowledge that it might give off a negative vibe to some people, then my goal was met.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

kenbob_clarker

Which show is this?
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 12:05:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155149\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 10:44 AM\']
*snip*
...the vibe I get from that moves away from a simple statement of religious pride and into recruiting. And that bugs me. I absolutely support KenBob's right to believe anything he wants. But when he starts, even a little, to tell me what I should believe (which is exactly what that single word does to the meaning of that statement), then my eyebrow raises.
[/quote]I'm not trying to tell you what to believe, all I'm doing with my sig is letting you know about the one verst in the Bible that sums up pretty much in a nutshell the whole gospel of Jesus, which is something I hold very dearly.  When God created man, He gave him a free will.  I'm not telling you what to or not to believe.  If you want to believe that there is no God, that's your business and not mine (granted, it's hard to imagine what my life would be like without God's presence).
And if he gave that some consideration and made the decision he did to stand behind it anyhow with the knowledge that it might give off a negative vibe to some people, then my goal was met.
Persecution is nothing new to me.  It's a fact of life for any Christian who isn't afraid of his faith.
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

dzinkin

Which show is this?
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 10:52:13 PM »
[quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'155153\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 12:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155149\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 10:44 AM\']
And if he gave that some consideration and made the decision he did to stand behind it anyhow with the knowledge that it might give off a negative vibe to some people, then my goal was met.[/quote]
Persecution is nothing new to me.  It's a fact of life for any Christian who isn't afraid of his faith.
[/quote]
I was about to point out that "freedom from religion" doesn't mean freedom from exposure to anything religious.  Now, apparently, I need to point out that being told that your comments make certain people uncomfortable does not amount to "persecution."

At this point, I should disclose that — having been the target of violence in the past due to nothing more than the fact that I'm Jewish — my antenna goes up whenever I see a comment about religion on this board.  But in the grand scheme of things, I don't care if you worship G-d, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, the spirit of your great-great-grandmother, Mother Nature, Bob Barker, a head of lettuce, or nothing at all; as long as you respect the rights of others to worship, or not, as they see fit, your choice will be respected as well.

Chris's comments were mild; he wasn't telling you to leave, and he wasn't telling me or the other moderators to kick you out.  You're among friends... relax, and have fun.  That's why we're all here. :-)

jdhernandez

Which show is this?
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 06:03:14 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'155178\' date=\'Jun 14 2007, 09:52 PM\']

*snippy*

But in the grand scheme of things, I don't care if you worship G-d, Jesus, Allah, Buddha, the spirit of your great-great-grandmother, Mother Nature, Bob Barker, a head of lettuce, or nothing at all; as long as you respect the rights of others to worship, or not, as they see fit, your choice will be respected as well.

[/quote]

*does a double take*

WHAT?!? Wow, unbelievable.

Okay, fess up.... who here worships a head of lettuce?

/I do NOT worship a head of lettuce.
//Nor would I want to.
///Burritos on the other hand...
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

Jimmy Owen

Which show is this?
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 08:36:21 AM »
Wasn't that on an episode of "What's Happening"?  Rerun got involved with a group of lettuce worshippers.  It was up to Raj and Dwayne free him from the clutches of the cult.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

dzinkin

Which show is this?
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2007, 08:53:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'155195\' date=\'Jun 15 2007, 08:36 AM\']
Wasn't that on an episode of "What's Happening"?  Rerun got involved with a group of lettuce worshippers.  It was up to Raj and Dwayne free him from the clutches of the cult.
[/quote]
Correct.