Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most Creative/Innovative Game Show Titles  (Read 4796 times)

TimK2003

Most Creative/Innovative Game Show Titles
« on: June 15, 2007, 10:44:01 AM »
What game shows had the most innovative and/or creative titles for their names or segments within their show?

For me, "Whew!" comes to mind right away.  Maybe because by title alone you have no idea what the show is about, or what the top prize is in the show's name (i.e. $10,000/$25,000/$100,000).

Then of course my favorite title for a game show that wasn't a real game show would be "Jackie Rogers Jr's $100,000 Jackpot Wad".

DrBear

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »
As for segments, I always liked
"Question of Great Significance" (2-Minute Drill)
and
"The Wager of Death" (Street Smarts)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:17:34 PM »
Tic Tac Dough.  It's Tic Tac Toe, for a wad of Dough!
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

Neumms

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 01:40:04 PM »
"Jeopardy!" is a pretty damn good title. Far better than "What's the Question?" I don't think a good title has to explain the game, but it should make you want to watch and that does. It's what "Whew!" was going for, except you can readily pronounce it.

"Bullseye," on the other hand, is a dopey title. The concept has nothing to do with hitting a target, metaphorically or physically (unlike TPIR's Bulls-Eye, where it fits). In the bonus game, it could have been three smiley faces or three squirrels or three anything. They had a nice idea for a game, then totally botched the production.

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'155230\' date=\'Jun 15 2007, 12:40 PM\']
"Bullseye," on the other hand, is a dopey title. The concept has nothing to do with hitting a target, metaphorically or physically (unlike TPIR's Bulls-Eye, where it fits). In the bonus game, it could have been three smiley faces or three squirrels or three anything. They had a nice idea for a game, then totally botched the production.
[/quote]
Long as we're talking stupid titles, how about USA's Quicksilver?  Just like you said about Bullseye, that show could've been called anything, given that the reason for the title was all about the Quicksilver option in the second and third rounds.

/Might as well have called it Joking Jackrabbits
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

alfonzos

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »
I liked the animation for Heatter-Quigley's Temptation. The animation and logo refer to the serpent and The Garden of Eden. Concentration's original opening revealing the matching letters of the title before revealing the entire name is a sentimental favorite. I regret that a video clip of that was removed from You Tube.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

SamPrainito

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »
"Family Feud", with fiddle music and needlepoint backdrops was pretty creative.  
It has a great double meaning, for example  there's a feud like the Hatfield's and McCoy's had, or
you and your family could feud over something, like real estate or money.

Calling the show "Family Fortunes" in other parts of the world isn't nearly as good a title, but the word "feud" ties into the whole "Hatfield vs. McCoy" thing that only makes sense to Americans.

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 06:04:18 PM »
Blockbusters is good.  You are trying block out your opponent, while your opponent is trying to bust those blocks.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

fishbulb

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 11:01:30 PM »
My 2 picks would be:

"Password" -- you not only pass words around, but it ties into the other "secret word" meaning of Password.

"The $10,000 Pyramid" -- It's hard for people today to understand how impressive this was for a daytime game show.  The fact that a player could win $10,000, when a player on most other shows was lucky to end the day with $1000, was really something.

"Family Feud" is also right up there.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 02:24:18 AM »
I have to admit, the $10,000 Pyramid is a pretty cool title. I wonder what made them think of a pyramid, rather than the $10,000 Tower, or something like that.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 05:10:14 AM »
[quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'155236\' date=\'Jun 15 2007, 11:53 AM\']Long as we're talking stupid titles, how about USA's Quicksilver?  Just like you said about Bullseye, that show could've been called anything, given that the reason for the title was all about the Quicksilver option in the second and third rounds.[/quote]And what was even worse was that in a handful of episodes they didn't even have that tenuous connection; the "Quicksilver" option was whimiscally named the "Mystery Blank."

"Swerve" is the best I can come up with for a title that fits the theme and mechanics of that show.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 05:31:32 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'155279\' date=\'Jun 16 2007, 02:10 AM\']
"Swerve" is the best I can come up with for a title that fits the theme and mechanics of that show.
[/quote]
Really? The word I think of is "crap." :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Matté

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 07:51:18 AM »
Certainly one of the most misleading titles has to be Funny Boners.

GSmaniac

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »
I think Trivia Trap was a great title. It hints of Trivial Pursuit, yet the the idea of using the "Trap" makes it stand out, like the game itself.

Worst: National Lampoon's Funny Money-   Need I say more?

BTW, why did NBC decide to call the show Classic Concentration instead of just Concentration or The All New Concentration? Just wondering.

Jay Temple

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 02:17:53 PM »
I think Tattle Tales was a pretty clever title.

Complete sentences have been done to death.
Declarative: The Price Is Right ... I've Got a Secret
Interrogative: What's My Line? ... Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
Imperative: Beat the Clock ... Name That Tune

The titles named are good, but they set the bar too high for He Said/She Said, Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader? and Beat the Geeks.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.