Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Host Vacancy  (Read 8053 times)

AZAndrewG

TPIR Host Vacancy
« on: June 20, 2007, 06:32:41 AM »
With the host spot on "The Price Is Right" now officially vacant, I feel that it's time to add my two cents worth as to who should be the new host.

There are literally hundreds of people here in America who possess the qualities to be a good game show host.  However, "The Price Is Right" is not just any game show -- it is an American institution.  It is without question one of the most sacred programs in television histotry.  Therefore, extra special care should be taken in naming a new host.

When I covered Bob barker's final episode, I had the great pleasure of interviewing Roger Dobkowitz.  I asked him what was taking so long to name a successor to Barker.  He told me CBS wants to make sure they make the right choice.  Assuming this is the reason (and I have no reason to believe otherwise), this is very admirable.  It could have been a lot worse -- they could have named Dave Price as the new host months ago and watch the show take a nosedive.

As I write this, I edited a story about Rosie O'Donnell meeting with the CBS brass to discuss the "Price" vacancy.  Would she be a good game show host?  Absolutely.  Would she be good on "Price"?  Absolutely not.  This year, it seemed that every time she opened her mouth on "The View," it made headlines, and usually not for good reasons.  From her feud with Donald Trump to the "ching chong" incident to her spat with Elisabeth Hasselbeck, I believe she mortgaged any remote chance she had of being a bona fide candidate to host the show and maintain its solid ratings.

So who should be the new host of "Price"?  While I will not give any one individual my full endorsement, it should be someone with extensive game show hosting experience -- one with solid name recognition.  It needs to be someone who will let the show be the star and not try to overpower it, like many stand-up comedians may have the tendency to do.

I have maintained all along that Todd Newton would be an ideal candidate to succeed Bob Barker.  He has hosted "Hollywood Showdown" and "Whammy!," and he currently hosts "The Price Is Right Live" in Las Vegas.  He would be an excellent choice to succeed Bob Barker.  Is the the only candidate?  No.  I don't know much about him, but I'm sure Mark Steines would be a fine host of "The Price Is Right."  I'm a little concerned however about his lack of game show hosting experience.

Could "The Price Is Right" survive without Barker?  In a word, absolutely.  Remember, since September 4, 1972, three other people besides Barker have hosted the show -- Dennis James, Tom Kennedy and Doug Davidson.  Kennedy has been self-critical about his performance on the show, but I have to disagree with him.  like all the other shows he hosted throughout his illustrious career, I felt that he did an excellent job.  If today's game show hosts would follow the example Kennedy established, the genre would be in much stronger shape today.  "The Tonight Show" thrived after Johnny Carson's retirement; if CBS plays its cards right, "The Price Is Right" can continue to air for many more years to come even after Bob Barker.

In closing, I would urge CBS to continue to be vigilant in selecting a new host for "The Price Is Right."  The show's very survival hangs in the balance.  Make the right choice, and the show can last another 35 years or more.  Make the wrong choice, and eleven dedicated employees, from Roger Dobkowitz to Fingers Greco and so on, will need to find work very soon.  The stakes are too high to take this choice lightly.

Andrew M. Greenstein
For fast, affordable web design, log on to

AMG Web Design

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:07:13 AM »
it should be someone with extensive game show hosting experience -- one with solid name recognition
A lot of those people are on the wrong side of 70 (or dead). Tom Kennedy, Dennis James, Peter Tomarken, Regis Philbin, Jim Perry ...

tpirfan28

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:12:03 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'155641\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 10:07 AM\']
A lot of those people are on the wrong side of 70 (or dead). Tom Kennedy, Dennis James, Peter Tomarken, Regis Philbin, Jim Perry ...
[/quote]
Chris, you bring up an interesting question.  (If he was still with us...), do you think that Peter Tomarken would have made a good TPiR host?

Jim Perry needs to stay free in case that Rossi Moreale (sp?) guy bombs "Temptation". :)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jimmy Owen

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »
Chuck Woolery is the only one I can think of from that era who is still in the public eye.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:20:44 AM »
(If he was still with us...), do you think that Peter Tomarken would have made a good TPiR host?
It's hard to say without an audition. Tomarken could have gone either way. If he tried to be "over the top" (a la Rich Fields), no. If he were more straightlaced (a la Barker), I think he definitely had potential. At any rate he would definitely have been worth an audition and serious consideration. Sadly we'll never know for sure.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:21:40 AM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:26:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'155645\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 07:19 AM\']
Chuck Woolery is the only one I can think of from that era who is still in the public eye.
[/quote]
Chuck is 66. If we can get over that fact, definitely worth an audition. His low-key style would be refreshing and I think the frat b0iz could warm up to him.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:29:06 AM by chris319 »

tpirfan28

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 11:38:13 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'155647\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 10:26 AM\']
[/quote]
Chuck is 66. If we can get over that fact, definitely worth an audition. His low-key style would be refreshing and I think the frat b0iz could warm up to him.
[/quote]
But "Woolery left TPiR" wouldn't have the same ring to it.

/twenty years from now....
//"TPIR": The All New Woolery Left Wheel!!
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

cmjb13

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 11:47:45 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'155647\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 10:26 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Roger had seen Chuck do a TPIR Live show a few years ago (I want to say San Diego). He said Chuck did a very good job.

He's the one guy I wanted to see do the show in person.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:49:29 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

whewfan

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 12:42:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'155646\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 10:20 AM\']
(If he was still with us...), do you think that Peter Tomarken would have made a good TPiR host?
It's hard to say without an audition. Tomarken could have gone either way. If he tried to be "over the top" (a la Rich Fields), no. If he were more straightlaced (a la Barker), I think he definitely had potential. At any rate he would definitely have been worth an audition and serious consideration. Sadly we'll never know for sure.
[/quote]

Peter did host Bargain Hunters, which had some elements of TPIR (big doors that opened in a similar manner) and contestants playing TPIR-esque pricing games (Bargain Trap was a variation of Danger Price, for example). BH also had some obvious problems, such as a low budget feel, and HOME SHOPPING. However, I would think Peter would do well with this format.

With that logic, one would wonder how John Davidson would fare with TPIR. Time Machine had a structure similar to TPIR, with games relating to events and what year or decade they occured. Perhaps they realized it was too similar to TPIR and changed it to a two player game where the games were played with them competing. If John couldn't get all the rules to Pyramid straight, he certainly couldn't do TPIR. Also, if anyone saw the Time Machine Finale, John actually picked up the CONTESTANT when she won the car... on TPIR, it's the contestants that pick up the host! Speaking of picking up the host, I wonder if Samoans will try to pick up the new host. I don't recall the last time a Samoan was on TPIR (a real Samoan, not one that picked up Bob out of whim, like that guy that played 10 Chances and injured Bob's ribs picking him up)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 12:50:39 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'155659\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 11:42 AM\']
Peter did host Bargain Hunters, which had some elements of TPIR (big doors that opened in a similar manner)
[/quote]
Which has very little to do, if any with hosting qualifications.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 01:36:49 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 01:17:29 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'155659\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 09:42 AM\']
Peter did host Bargain Hunters, which had some elements of TPIR (big doors that opened in a similar manner)
[/quote]
Agree wholly with your statement, but your evidence (at least, this piece) is just horrid.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 02:10:06 PM »
[quote name=\'AZAndrewG\' post=\'155633\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 03:32 AM\']
... There are literally hundreds of people here in America who possess the qualities to be a good game show host...  [/quote]
Hi Andrew. I agree with most of what you said, but I firmly believe there are far fewer prospective hosts able to deliver the goods at a network level of proficiency and polish. It's a far tougher job than it seems. Believe me - I've worked in run-throughs and rehearsals with many otherwise "good" working, professional, TV personalities who don't have the skill set for this specialized area of broadcasting.

Roger had seen Chuck do a TPIR Live show a few years ago (I want to say San Diego). He said Chuck did a very good job. He's the one guy I wanted to see do the show in person.
Yes Chris, Chuck did the gig in San Diego, and Roger caught one of the shows. Audiences love Chuck. And just like his work on other shows, at moments when Chuck is light on control of the formatics, he's especially endearing. He was a ball to work with.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

alfonzos

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 03:30:52 PM »
Consider Bill Rafferty, Geoff Edwards and, now that he's agreed to host a prime time karaoke show, Wayne Brady.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Jimmy Owen

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 04:06:16 PM »
We haven't seen Geoff or Bill R. on TV in 20 years; they most likely don't look the way we last saw them. With Chuck W., he has the advantage of aging before our eyes, so any differences between his appearance in 1987 and now are not as shocking.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'155677\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 03:06 PM\']
We haven't seen Geoff or Bill R. on TV in 20 years
[/quote]
If you want to be accurate, Geoff was on Chain Reaction until 1991, and I believe some lotto show after that.
--Mark
Phil 4:13