Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Host Vacancy  (Read 8054 times)

Jimmy Owen

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'155679\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 04:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'155677\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 03:06 PM\']
We haven't seen Geoff or Bill R. on TV in 20 years
[/quote]
If you want to be accurate, Geoff was on Chain Reaction until 1991, and I believe some lotto show after that.
[/quote]

I stand corrected.  15 years, then.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SamJ93

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 04:41:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'155679\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 04:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'155677\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 03:06 PM\']
We haven't seen Geoff or Bill R. on TV in 20 years
[/quote]
If you want to be accurate, Geoff was on Chain Reaction until 1991, and I believe some lotto show after that.
[/quote]

And I believe he has switched careers to travel writing since then--don't know exactly how he feels, of course, but my guess is he's quite happy being out of the public eye.

All the best choices seem to be either otherwise occupied or past their prime, at least in the eyes of Fremantle.  My two picks would be Marc Summers or John O'Hurley, but the former hasn't been auditioned yet and the latter is also doing quite well on "Feud"--and I'd like to see him continue to do so.

But...there is one more darkhorse, completely off-the-board candidate that I think should be at least given a chance.  And at the risk of dismemberment (in more ways than one :-), I nominate...

Pat Finn.

Seriously.  He's been saddled with some pretty rotten formats (TJW90, STYD), but I think he's shown a nice low-key manner on his shows that would actually work well.  (I admit that he may need a month or two to adjust, even though they sometimes did TPiR-like pricing games on STYD.)  

/and then if that doesn't pan out...hello, Patrick Wayne!

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'155681\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 01:41 PM\']
And I believe he has switched careers to travel writing since then--don't know exactly how he feels, of course, but my guess is he's quite happy being out of the public eye.
[/quote]
Not THAT far out....last time I checked, he was doing a weekly travel report for the TV station I used to work at. (I don't know if it was a syndicated piece; my guess is that it was.) So he's still doing *some* TV, but you're right, it's mostly in the travel space.

/I wonder if he still plays Quake
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamJ93

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 07:35:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155683\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 04:52 PM\']
Not THAT far out....last time I checked, he was doing a weekly travel report for the TV station I used to work at. (I don't know if it was a syndicated piece; my guess is that it was.) So he's still doing *some* TV, but you're right, it's mostly in the travel space.
[/quote]

Ah, I stand corrected, then.  As an aside, I remember Geoff posting to ATGS occasionally back in the day (circa 1996-97 or so), and way back in 1995 I sent him an email to which he replied with some great memories and stories as well as info on what he was up to at the time. (Sadly, the email was lost to history long ago).  Who knows, maybe he's still lurking around here...:-)

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

DjohnsonCB

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 01:04:51 AM »
A couple of somewhat unlikely names came to mind as I was surfing around:

Elaine Joyce--she's had experience as a game show panelist, but also as a host (The All-New Dating Game).  Some of you may have a better memory of how she did as a host on DG than I do.

Peter Funt--He still has Candid Camera in his blood and isn't beyond a potential revival, but I wonder how many people today would take to it--it's a different world these days and I personally find it hard to fathom a lot of folks finding anything funny in watching people being victims of certain pranks--remember The Real Wedding Crashers?  He seems amiable enough to host TPIR.

Sorry if these choices for hosts come off as unthinkable--I just don't know much about young, up-and-coming candidates for the job.  Personally, I'd have loved to see Vin Scully get the chance to host it, but he's been too involved with another type of game that made him famous, his two shots at establishing himself as a daytime host were not very successful, and he's not too far behind Barker age-wise.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

clemon79

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 01:20:09 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'155715\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 10:04 PM\']
A couple of somewhat unlikely names came to mind as I was surfing around:
Elaine Joyce
Peter Funt
[/quote]
I'll say.

fishbulb

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 01:30:08 AM »
I know I don't live here or anything, but after reading these suggestions, I've come to one conclusion (with all due respect to the hosts mentioned here):

The new host (if there is one) will not be someone who's hosted a game show before 2000.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 02:30:51 AM »
Chuck did the gig in San Diego, and Roger caught one of the shows. Audiences love Chuck. And just like his work on other shows, at moments when Chuck is light on control of the formatics, he's especially endearing. He was a ball to work with.
Well Hell's bells, then. If George Hamilton rates an audition at age 67, Woolery certainly rates one at age 66. I can see him in the role.

Geoff Edwards is 76. I know, I was surprised, too.

HYHYBT

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 04:02:08 AM »
With that logic, one would wonder how John Davidson would fare with TPIR.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say badly.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

alfonzos

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'155681\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 03:41 PM\']My two picks would be Marc Summers or John O'Hurley
[/quote]

Oooh, I like those choices too.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

kenbob_clarker

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 05:35:20 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'155681\' date=\'Jun 20 2007, 03:41 PM\']
But...there is one more darkhorse, completely off-the-board candidate that I think should be at least given a chance.  And at the risk of dismemberment (in more ways than one :-), I nominate...

Pat Finn.

[/quote]
Seriously?

Seriously.  
...*blank stare*...
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

Clay Zambo

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 06:09:24 PM »
All right, since we're tossing around names of people who haven't auditioned yet, I'll propose one.

Donny Osmond.

I don't know if he could get the game mechanics down quickly (though I don't see why not), and, hell's teeth, if there's anybody around who can handle screaming audience members, it's him.
czambo@mac.com

clemon79

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 06:24:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'155790\' date=\'Jun 21 2007, 03:09 PM\']
All right, since we're tossing around names of people who haven't auditioned yet, I'll propose one.

Donny Osmond.
[/quote]
I'd buy this, actually. I thought he was tolerable on Pyramid (Donny was the least of the problems) and he would be good in a high-energy environment like TPiR.

/he also played Not My Job on last week's "Wait! Wait! Don't Tell Me!"

BrandonFG

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 06:30:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155791\' date=\'Jun 21 2007, 06:24 PM\']
I'd buy this, actually. I thought he was tolerable on Pyramid (Donny was the least of the problems) and he would be good in a high-energy environment like TPiR.

[/quote]
Agreed, I wouldn't be against Donny...he's a very competent host, and his name is still pretty relevant, not just from Pyramid.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Clay Zambo

TPIR Host Vacancy
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'155791\' date=\'Jun 21 2007, 06:24 PM\']
[/quote]

That was, I admit, what brought him to mind.  Well, that, and the fact that I spent the weekend with friends, one of whom is as huge a Donny fan as there might ever be.
czambo@mac.com