Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Saturday Morning TV & Game Shows  (Read 8669 times)

davidhammett

Saturday Morning TV & Game Shows
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 10:25:11 AM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'156003\' date=\'Jun 25 2007, 02:25 PM\']
For the record, here is how you play Runaround. There were nine kids. Paul Winchell read a question. The kids were given three possible answers. On the word, "Go," the kids ran to an answer but didn't have to run to the correct answer. When Winchell declared, "Last chance," the kids could change their answers. To see who, if anyone, who standing on the correct answer, Winchell would say, "who's right with the light?," and the correct answer would be illuminated. Those who were wrong would sit in a penalty box. Those who were right got what looked like a foam ball for score keeping purposes and continued to play until only one player, the winner, would remain. The winner would get a prize, eliminated players would be brought back in to play and the game would continue until time ran out. The player with the most foam balls at the end of the half-hour won a prize. Game over.
[/quote]
Thanks, Alfonzo... it all comes back now!  I'm trying to remember, though... there was a limited amount of space in those chutes that the kids had for their, yes, balls... was there ever a time that they overflowed?  Or did a full chute automatically end the game early?

uncamark

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 12:24:22 PM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'156082\' date=\'Jun 26 2007, 09:25 AM\']
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'156003\' date=\'Jun 25 2007, 02:25 PM\']
For the record, here is how you play Runaround. There were nine kids. Paul Winchell read a question. The kids were given three possible answers. On the word, "Go," the kids ran to an answer but didn't have to run to the correct answer. When Winchell declared, "Last chance," the kids could change their answers. To see who, if anyone, who standing on the correct answer, Winchell would say, "who's right with the light?," and the correct answer would be illuminated. Those who were wrong would sit in a penalty box. Those who were right got what looked like a foam ball for score keeping purposes and continued to play until only one player, the winner, would remain. The winner would get a prize, eliminated players would be brought back in to play and the game would continue until time ran out. The player with the most foam balls at the end of the half-hour won a prize. Game over.
[/quote]
Thanks, Alfonzo... it all comes back now!  I'm trying to remember, though... there was a limited amount of space in those chutes that the kids had for their, yes, balls... was there ever a time that they overflowed?  Or did a full chute automatically end the game early?
[/quote]

I recall that the chutes had numbers on the sides to give a quick count of the balls and that 9 was the highest number.  With all of the sketches/routines/demonstrations and other visuals, they probably rarely did any more than 10 or 11 questions on any particular show, so it wasn't a potential problem.

bellbm

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 10:02:58 PM »
don't forget "I'm Telling" with Lori Fazo on NBC, and Animal Crack-Ups (which also aired in primetime) on ABC, both in the late 80s.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 08:29:03 AM »
[quote name=\'bellbm\' post=\'156145\' date=\'Jun 26 2007, 10:02 PM\']
don't forget "I'm Telling" with Lori Fazo on NBC, and Animal Crack-Ups (which also aired in primetime) on ABC, both in the late 80s.
[/quote]

I do believe the correct spelling is Laurie Faso.
insert signature here

calliaume

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 11:52:37 PM »
Animal Crack-Ups lasted a couple of years.

The problem most of the Saturday game shows had is they seemed to run around 12 noon (only Video Village Jr. and Shenanigans avoided this; CBS aired them at 10 a.m.).  12 noon and later means frequently bumping and pre-emptions for sporting events, news broadcasts, and affiliate whims.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 01:47:12 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'156205\' date=\'Jun 27 2007, 10:52 PM\']

The problem most of the Saturday game shows had is they seemed to run around 12 noon (only Video Village Jr. and Shenanigans avoided this; CBS aired them at 10 a.m.)
[/quote]
Shenanigans was on ABC, not CBS.  Some markets without a full-time ABC station (there were a number of these in 1964-65) might have seen it on a one- or two-week delay on a mostly CBS or NBC station earlier or later in the morning.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 10:58:57 AM »
Way Out Games also suffered from the "post noon" slot. Do You Know? was also late in the day. IIRC, the kids' version of Make A Face was pre-noon. Any of our old TV Guide collectors have the air time for Choose Up Sides?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
"Choose Up Sides" was on at noon.  It would have to be, what with Gene up till 1am that morning announcing "The Tonight Show," maybe catching a jazz show and a few drinks right after with dinner.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:28:30 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 12:59:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'156218\' date=\'Jun 28 2007, 10:26 AM\']
"Choose Up Sides" was on at noon.  It would have to be, what with Gene up till 1am that morning announcing "The Tonight Show," maybe catching a jazz show and a few drinks right after with dinner.
[/quote]

And Pardo was just coming out of the first shift at Hurley's.  [Angus Deayton] Allegedly.[AD]

alfonzos

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 08:42:45 PM »
The TV Schedule Book by Castleman & Podrazik (the first time I've ever sited this book) puts "Chose Up Sides" on the NBC Winter '56 schedule at 12:30 p.m. ET. It was replaced in the summer by "Watch Mr. Wizard."
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

mcsittel

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »
Wasn't there a Junior Almost Anything Goes?  I can't recall if that was an early Saturday afternoon offering, or an early Sunday evening show to go up against Disney... didn't it have teams from different states?  I'm relying on way-past-expiration-date memories.

trainman

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2007, 10:37:54 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'156265\' date=\'Jun 28 2007, 07:06 PM\']
Wasn't there a Junior Almost Anything Goes?  I can't recall if that was an early Saturday afternoon offering, or an early Sunday evening show to go up against Disney...
[/quote]

I see The TV Schedule Book and raise Wesley Hyatt's Encyclopedia of Daytime Television.  It was a noon Saturday show from September 1976 to early January 1977, then switched to Sunday mornings until September 1977.
trainman is a man of trains

SwohS Emag

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2007, 10:51:21 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'156205\' date=\'Jun 27 2007, 11:52 PM\']

The problem most of the Saturday game shows had is they seemed to run around 12 noon (only Video Village Jr. and Shenanigans avoided this; CBS aired them at 10 a.m.).  12 noon and later means frequently bumping and pre-emptions for sporting events, news broadcasts, and affiliate whims.
[/quote]

But even with a before noon timeslot to help it, Wheel 2000, only had 13 episodes made, and repeated ad infinitum on GSN Cable in the Classroom, before it went bankrupt.  (Wheel 2000 was on at 11:30a ET.)

What is David Sidoni up to these days anyway?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2007, 01:12:06 AM »
For whatever reason, I was curious to that myself after you posted it....Wikipedia says he's in real estate. Take that for what you will.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2007, 01:39:36 AM »
[quote name=\'SwohS Emag\' post=\'156281\' date=\'Jun 28 2007, 10:51 PM\']
Wheel 2000, only had 13 episodes made, and repeated ad infinitum on GSN Cable in the Classroom, before it went bankrupt.[/quote]
I think this statement is ironic.  Am I wrong?
This signature is currently under construction.