Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Transferring to DVD  (Read 4273 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Transferring to DVD
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 05:09:38 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'156180\' date=\'Jun 27 2007, 12:56 PM\']
And I'm hesitant also due to the reasons mentioned earlier - do we really know that this consumer-grade DVD media, even the premium stuff, won't just up and die in 10 years? I haven't been letting go of the tapes I've dubbed just for that reason.
[/quote]
I would suggest that it's far FAR more likely that those DVDs will be alive in 10 years than your videotape media will.

/doesn't buy into the "disc fade" thing either
//and even if I did, we'll have all moved to some other storage medium by then anyhow
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Transferring to DVD
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 05:26:01 PM »
Space isn't really an issue with me. I've got a spare room where I can store tapes, so if anybody has tapes they don't need after burning to DVD, just send them my way.  I'll keep them and if your DVD gets scratched or a year from now turns out to be from a bad batch, I'll have the tape.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvwxman

Transferring to DVD
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 05:56:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'156188\' date=\'Jun 27 2007, 05:26 PM\']
 I'll keep them and if your DVD gets scratched or a year from now turns out to be from a bad batch, I'll have the tape.
[/quote]
...which I'll then re-sell to you at a premium price.

Seriously, you're going to turn your rec room into a orphanage for tapes?

Getting back on topic, the unknown future of DVD lifespans is exactly (or, to quote Chris Lemon, prezactly. I dunno what that means either) why I won't dump old VHS tapes. I just dubbed my beta save tapes at work to DVD, and I'm nowhere near convinced with them that the DVD's will keep without a scratch. So the save tapes stay for now (though editing at home just became a viable option with the DVD's).
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Jimmy Owen

Transferring to DVD
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 06:42:28 PM »
No, no exchange of money involved, if you need to borrow your tape, feel free.  I already have about a thousand or so that I got from a video store that was getting out of the VHS business and still have a good amount of space available.  If you go to rummage sales, you can find VHS racks pretty cheap--for now.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TheLastResort

Transferring to DVD
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 07:19:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'156173\' date=\'Jun 27 2007, 01:55 PM\']
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'156154\' date=\'Jun 26 2007, 11:43 PM\']
For more info, check out the  AVS Forum.[/quote]
The problem with using a message board like that to prove (or disprove) anything should be fairly obvious to anybody who's spent time on a message board...  [/quote]
Trust me, I know that.  I take anything I read on a message board with a grain of salt (no offense, but this one included).  And I'm not trying to "prove" or "disprove" anything.   I'm simply bringing up a frequently discussed issue that is worth noting for anybody who's contemplating throwing out their precious VHS tapes in favor of DVD copies.  Other sources are out there if anyone cares to research it further.

JayDLewis

Transferring to DVD
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 09:23:32 PM »
For those that have addressed my "cost" issue here's my thing.

The cost of the media is fairly negligible. I can get 100 for $30 (or so) of a brand-name disc (Sony has given me zero problems so far).

The cost/space issue comes in the manner which I choose to store my DVDs. I won't use paper/folder systems because I feel the risk of scratching is WAY too high. I'm using cakeboxes that hold either 1 (or 2) DVDs. My cost on those is anywhere from $0.60 to $0.25. (I can get them for $0.27 (double/single) but I have to buy a minimum of 100 each.)
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Matt Ottinger

Transferring to DVD
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 11:29:25 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'156192\' date=\'Jun 27 2007, 07:19 PM\']Trust me, I know that.  I take anything I read on a message board with a grain of salt (no offense, but this one included).  [/quote]
No offense taken, at all.  If anything, my whole point is that a healthy skepticism is a good thing.

Toward that end, consider the thread once again.  The original poster, the one who wrote "Disc Fade is REAL" was referring to discs he burned on a player he purchased in September, 2003.  He wrote his dire warning in March, 2005.  His discs were failing eighteen months after they were recorded, and he was blaming it on "disc fade," the term that naysayers are using to suggest the entire format is essentially worthless.  I would suggest that if the general population was having widespread problems with discs a year and a half after they were burned, you'd be reading about it in a lot more places than on-line forums.

Most independent testing organizations are using 20 to 30 years as a lowball estimate of the longevity of burnable DVDs that are properly cared for.  But the simple truth is we don't know because they haven't been around that long.  Still, common sense says that if something is truly important to you, you save the originals even after you've made copies.  If anyone has made the decision that physical space is a serious consideration, I suggest you take Jimmy up on his warehousing offer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

Transferring to DVD
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 11:30:07 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'156197\' date=\'Jun 27 2007, 06:23 PM\']
My cost on those is anywhere from $0.60 to $0.25. (I can get them for $0.27 (double/single) but I have to buy a minimum of 100 each.)
[/quote]
Funny you should mention that, as I just fount this.

(Yeah, still 100, but for $20? C'mon.)

snowpeck

Transferring to DVD
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 02:43:47 AM »
This is why I think dubbing an entire collection to DVD is a rotten idea, at least now.  When you start dubbing lower quality programs, you either run into Macrovision problems or the program comes out blotchy and pixellated or even worse.  Unless technology vastly improves, I don't see myself dubbing my VHS collection to DVD anytime soon.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

clemon79

Transferring to DVD
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 11:49:08 AM »
Unless some INCREDIBLE piece of AI comes along that can accurately guess what the signal is missing to become complete and insert that into the data stream, you're just not going to see technology that takes a crappy-quality video and makes it good. These were the dice you folks rolled when you started passing around fifteenth-generation videos recorded in Shiatty Lame Play in the first place.

(The Macrovision issue, in a lot of cases, is totally circumventable, and since in most cases it just involves a) knowing the sequence of buttons to press on the remote to get into the recorder's service mode, or b) burning a firmware update to a DVD and sticking it in the recorder, I don't think it's nearly as dangerous as Matt does. Can Joe Sixpack do it? No. But if you are hardcore enough to have 100 or 500 or even 1,000 tapes, and you're transferring them all over to DVD, you're hardcore enough to investigate it.)