Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Board Game Show Marathon  (Read 7940 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Board Game Show Marathon
« on: July 07, 2007, 09:25:04 PM »
So imagine you're setting up one heckuva game night(s) with your friends that is going to be 100% game show board games.  What would you put in?

I ask this for two reasons.  1) I'm interested.  2) I'm entertaining the idea of doing something involving game show board games as an event for Pitt's Gaming Club, and I'm open to suggestions.
This signature is currently under construction.

catkins522

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 10:06:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'156834\' date=\'Jul 7 2007, 09:25 PM\']
So imagine you're setting up one heckuva game night(s) with your friends that is going to be 100% game show board games.  What would you put in?

I ask this for two reasons.  1) I'm interested.  2) I'm entertaining the idea of doing something involving game show board games as an event for Pitt's Gaming Club, and I'm open to suggestions.
[/quote]

My vote "Win Lose or Draw" or "Picturanary (sp?)".

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Jimmy Owen

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 10:12:59 PM »
Feud and Wheel would be my picks as you could modify the rules to accomodate a few more people than you could with, for example, Password.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Clay Zambo

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 10:28:31 PM »
If you've got a dozen people and want them all to play at one time, how 'bout "Hollywood Squares"?
czambo@mac.com

Joe Mello

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 10:49:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'156837\' date=\'Jul 7 2007, 10:12 PM\']
Feud and Wheel would be my picks as you could modify the rules to accomodate a few more people than you could with, for example, Password.[/quote]

Well, the initial idea is to have this event spread over the 4-5 meetings in a month, each one with a different featured game.  The game-playing (whatever that would be) would last for the duration of the meeting and either the last man standing or the highest scorer would be declared the day's winner.  Therefore, # of players is essentially a non-issue.

I do have the Tyco Wheel in my small arsenal, so that has crossed my mind, especially since it would be easy to bracket.  If only I could put that damn wheel together....

alfonzos

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »
Concentration (Milton Bradley, any edition but first), Passsword or Password Plus (Milton Bradley), High Rollers (Parker Brothers), Jeopardy! (Parker Brothers), TV Scrabble (Pressman)

Games that could be TV game shows: Whatzit? (Milton Bradley), You Must be an Idiot! (R&R Games), Thingamajig (R&R Games), Smarty Party (R&R Games), Taboo (Milton Bradley)
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

chad1m

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 05:40:39 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'156899\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 05:35 PM\']Games that could be TV game shows: Taboo (Milton Bradley)
[/quote]
'Twas, my friend.

J.R.

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 05:56:41 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'156900\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 04:40 PM\']
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'156899\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 05:35 PM\']Games that could be TV game shows: Taboo (Milton Bradley)
[/quote]
'Twas, my friend.
[/quote]

We're trying to forget it ever existed. :-)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:57:51 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'156899\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 02:35 PM\']Games that could be TV game shows: Whatzit? (Milton Bradley)...Smarty Party (R&R Games)[/quote]
Whatzit? would be tolerable if you were to chuck the silly "race to the finish" board and did each puzzle and toss-ups, and so on, at which point it becomes very similar to Catch Phrase but without the animation.

Smarty Party would be a great game but the material is completely awful. The "factual list" questions are OK, and sometimes you'll get something like "the events in the heptathlon and the Marx brothers", but what kills the game is the Outburst categories. "Star Trek characters" is the first one that leaps to mind. Since play goes around the horn, the game becomes one of prediction and not of knowledge.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 04:54:04 AM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'156899\' date=\'Jul 8 2007, 04:35 PM\']
Concentration (Milton Bradley, any edition but first),
[/quote]
I'm interested to know:[list=1]
  • How this game would be interesting in a "party" atmosphere
  • What is wrong with the first edition?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Mike Tennant

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 11:24:39 AM »
The $25,000 Pyramid (either the Cardinal or Endless version) is a good one.  You could probably bracket that one easily enough.

Match Game works.  My family always enjoys playing the '60s version.  If you want to play the '70s version, you'll probably want to seek out the third edition so as to obtain the humorous questions everyone associates with the show.  You could then chuck the cardboard celebrities and their given answers and let some of your friends be the panel instead.

Then, of course, there's $ale of the Century with the Quizzard buzzer.  It can accommodate up to six contestants at once, and everyone loves the buzzer.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'156954\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 08:24 AM\']
Then, of course, there's $ale of the Century with the Quizzard buzzer.  It can accommodate up to six contestants at once, and everyone loves the buzzer.
[/quote]
Good points both, but it always saddens me that the Quizzard buzzer is the most anticlimactic device on the planet. That ridiculous delay after someone rings in, and the possibility that it won't figure out who rang in first and instead return nothing, just kills the thing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 12:27:21 PM »
Luckily, there are ways around this.  I'm sure someone can manipulate the free buzzers.com software enough to suit the purposes of $ale.  It may not be as sexy as the Quizzard buzzer, but the idea remains the same.

What about Jeopardy! then?  I remember at least one of the versions had a buzzer as well.

Neumms

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 01:03:04 PM »
I mounted some TPIR pricing games as part of a party for Barker's last show, and I must say it worked out swell. I went and bought grocery items for the Grocery Game and Hole in One. Then we played Cliff Hangers (I drew the board and Hans myself) with a $12 bottle of Turtle Wax, a bottle of booze someone left at a party and a blender we'd replaced. The winner (and we had a perfect show) won the grocery items. They were all things I'd seen on TV--Dulcolax, Ragu, Renuzit, Airborne, Polident, Dinty Moore.

You could easily find one-bid prizes online and print them out big enough. You'd have to do the wheel somehow--maybe that would have to come from the home game. Maybe you tape showcases from the show.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:14:01 PM by Neumms »

Neumms

Board Game Show Marathon
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »
Remember "How to Host a Murder" and those mystery parties that were all the range back in the 20th Century? I think Endless Games or someone is missing an opportunity to make a great party edition of Match Game.

For equipment, you put in six blue cards laminated for use with dry-erase markers, a bunch of green triangles and red circles to keep score and some sort of Super Match board. And then a big box of question cards, maybe orange on one side for round one questions, blue on the other for round two (to match the colors of Gene's question conveyance, since I assume swanky folded cards would be extravagent).

They could even throw in one arm of an old TV antenna to use as a Rayburn microphone.