Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel's New Set  (Read 9042 times)

calliaume

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2003, 11:19:05 AM »
While I appreciate the agreement about Spike TV's enormous promo \"bugs\", my whole *point* is that there's no logic that goes, \"Man, that looks like a really, really interesting show that I would enjoy watching. But because they ran the promos too many times for my taste, I think I won't tune in. That'll show 'em.\"

There is a logic like that, it's just that no one follows through.

If I had decided to throw a hissy fit after ABC cancelled WWTBAM, I could have said, \"I'm not gonna watch any ABC shows for the next year!\" and put it on the page.  But (1) it's tough to follow through (\"Man, Jennifer Garner looks hot -- well, just five minutes of Alias and nobody'll know!\"), and (2) in this age of media conglomerates, it's hard to practice what you preach (\"I'm not watching ABC, but I have watched ABC Family, The Disney Channel, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic Sports, I've gone to four Disney movies, I bought three Disney DVDs, and I gave money to Jerry's kids because John Ritter and his hot daughters on his show asked me to...\").

One person won't make a difference.  It has to be a big group (tens of thousands), it has to be organized, it has to have media saturation, and it has to stick.

For bugs and obnoxious promos -- which have become so prevalent in the last decade that a half-generation of TV viewers don't remember when they didn't exist -- it's just not going to happen.

Brandon Brooks

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2003, 11:44:38 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 10:19 AM\'] ("Man, Jennifer Garner looks hot -- well, just five minutes of Alias and nobody'll know!"),

("I'm not watching ABC, but I have watched ABC Family, The Disney Channel, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic Sports, I've gone to four Disney movies, I bought three Disney DVDs, and I gave money to Jerry's kids because John Ritter and his hot daughters on his show asked me to..."). [/quote]
 Curt, you gotta not let yourself be swayed so easily by hot women!

Brandon Brooks

Jimmy Owen

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2003, 11:46:12 AM »
You're right about the tolerance level for bugs, promos, split screens, etc.  I find that people my age (early 40's) are more bothered by them.  To younger folks, they are no big deal and they ponder why it would upset anyone.  I guess because I remember TV without them that I wish they would return to the bug-free screen.  Some kid running a network in a couple of years will probably get a hefty raise for pioneering the \"clutter free screen\" that just happens to get more people to watch the net.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2003, 12:18:57 PM »
Some kid running a network in a couple of years will probably get a hefty raise for pioneering the \"clutter free screen\" that just happens to get more people to watch the net.
Until some genius executive above him starts running bugs that say \"You're watching a clutter free screen!!!\"

Joke with basis in fact.  A local bedding salesman used to brag in his commercials that he'd deliver your purchase to your home in an unmarked truck so your neighbors wouldn't know you bought from a discounter.  I once saw one of those deliveries, and the truck was emblazoned with giant letters saying \"Big John's Famous Unmarked Truck\"!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2003, 02:19:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 3 2003, 10:46 AM\'] You're right about the tolerance level for bugs, promos, split screens, etc.  I find that people my age (early 40's) are more bothered by them.  To younger folks, they are no big deal and they ponder why it would upset anyone.  I guess because I remember TV without them that I wish they would return to the bug-free screen.  Some kid running a network in a couple of years will probably get a hefty raise for pioneering the "clutter free screen" that just happens to get more people to watch the net. [/quote]
 Naw...I'm 20 and it bugs (bad pun intended) the hell out of me. It's the fact that it's a distraction, and oftentimes, it gets in the way of something else on the screen. MTV and VH-1 come to mind, whenever they do one of their documentaries, and their ad for the VMAs or \"I Love the 70s\" blocks out someone's name superimposed on screen.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

urbanpreppie05

Wheel's New Set
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2003, 05:46:23 PM »
(dragging this back up for the sake of argument)

Randy's right- the pictures don't give it justice...the set is really awesome!
insert signature here