Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Improv Match Game fun  (Read 1466 times)

geno57

Improv Match Game fun
« on: July 19, 2007, 06:49:23 PM »
Don't know when this was from, and I don't recall seeing any mention of it here.  But it's mildly entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaTQ0MCgJDg
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 06:50:06 PM by geno57 »

BrandonFG

Improv Match Game fun
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 07:18:27 PM »
Mark Jeffries to the white courtesy phone... :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Improv Match Game fun
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:39:10 PM »
Wow! You've found Barker's replacement!

JamesVipond

Improv Match Game fun
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:26:39 AM »
My browser played only the first 52 seconds of this clip that was supposed to be almost 7 minutes long. And why only three panelists instead of six?
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

uncamark

Improv Match Game fun
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'157957\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 06:18 PM\']
Mark Jeffries to the white courtesy phone... :-)
[/quote]

Heerrrreeee I ammmmm...

"The Improv Match Game" has been going on for a few years at the IO, formerly the Improv Olympic, which has been a breeding ground for people to Second City and in some cases, like Amy Poehler, directly to "SNL," "MADtv" or some other big time.  The people who have been through there are too many to name, but here's the web site if you want the info.  "Improv MG" started on Monday nights very late and has become popular enough to move to Saturday nights at midnight.  They charge no admission for the show, in order to get the people who've been there for the earlier shows to stick around and drink.

The format itself is "PM" three rounds with just the head-to-head match at the end (didn't see the one time I saw it which tiebreaker they use)--the contestants are picked from the audience, the six-member panel are improvers with a few ringers (the media writers or TV critics for both Chicago papers have served as panelists at one time or another).  The one night I saw it, Prouty was not there and someone else was emcee (yes, with a fake antenna hand mike).  For the questions, he basically recycles from the TV show, I guess because he figures he can't improve on DeBartolo & Co.  There don't seem to be regular panelists and definitely no Brett/Charles dynamics here (Molly Erdman in the WGN clip is Prouty's wife).  I had a good time, but not enough to come back every Saturday for the price of a beer--it's getting late for me these days.

I am assuming that they consider themselves safe under fair use parody, but if Fremantle's ignoring the "WML?" show in LA, they'll ignore this.

Their web site, with a link to their MySpace page (with the TV edit of the theme as their page music):

http://www.improvmatchgame.com/