Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thanks For the Memoirs...  (Read 3498 times)

TimK2003

Thanks For the Memoirs...
« on: July 19, 2007, 08:47:16 AM »
It was stated earlier this week on one of the Game Show Congreff threads that for those game show legends that are still around that they should come out with a memoir/biography/autobiography.   Bob Stewart was mentioned as one who should.  

Who else would you love to see come out with a book of first hand stories of the biz?

One person who I'd like to see come out with a book would be Don Pardo, with the book title called (to nobody's surprise) "Thank You Don Pardo"!

Anyone else?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:45:20 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'157899\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 08:47 AM\']One person who I'd like to see come out with a book would be Don Pardo, with the book title called (to nobody's surprise) "Thank You Don Pardo"!
[/quote]
You're right, that would be the perfect title, and believe me when I say that meeting Don Pardo was probably the highlight of GSC for me.  However, at the risk of sounding sacrilegious, in the end you're talking about someone whose professional career was reading aloud.  There's really not a story arc to "...and then I introduced the host on Jeopardy!...and then I introduced the host on Three on a Match...and then I introduced the host on Winning Streak..."

Sure he'd have stories to tell, and WE would (and did) find them interesting, even fascinating.  But looking over my biography shelf, there's not a lot there that's primarily about game shows.  Heck, even Wink Martindale's book sped through the game show stuff in a chapter or two to focus on his music and personal life.  I have a hard time believing we could squeeze a whole book out of "...now back to you, Bill."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:47:08 PM »
No need for a Bob Stewart memoir. He has already given an oral history of his life and career which can be viewed here:

TV Academy Interviews

Don Pardo has also done an interview but it apparently has not been uploaded to Google Video. Interesting also is the Monty Hall interview, and in the non-game-show realm, the interviews with music director Earle Hagen and Lucy writers Bob Carroll, Jr. and Madelyn Pugh.

Gil Fates wrote an interesting memoir but it was more a What's My Line? tell-all. Ira Skutch also wrote a memoir but like Wink, he zips through his game show work in a chapter or two. Even though I know and like the man, I found his book kind of dull. Twenty One producer Al Freedman gives an oral history, fascinating because he was in the thick of the quiz scandal.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 02:54:26 PM by chris319 »

PYLW

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 03:04:59 PM »
What about the book Bob Eubanks did? Does anyone know if that one spends a long time talking about the game shows Bob did?

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:28:01 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'157924\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 03:04 PM\']
What about the book Bob Eubanks did? Does anyone know if that one spends a long time talking about the game shows Bob did?
[/quote]

I have the book somewhere and read it a few years ago, but I think *maybe* 25-30% was about his game show work.  

Peter Marshall's book was probably the best I've read thus far as most of the book was filled with antecdotes about the Squares.

Matt, I know you had mentioned how Pardo's Book can be redundant and boring, but he definitely was the fly on the wall with pretty much anything NBC -- he has seen people rise up from nobodys to all and out celebrities, especially Saturday Night Live.  Those little quirky stories, like Marshall's book, I would find interesting, even if a lot of the stories are about other TV genres at 30 Rock.

Stanley Biltz is a more of a nobody than Pardo, ("Then I created this theme for Goodson-Todman, then over at NBC I helped create this theme..."), but he's sure to have some interesting stories about Price Is Right in his book come September.

Another one I'd love to see come out is one on Alex Trebek, from local Canadian dance show host to world renowned emcee.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »
Another one I'd love to see come out is one on Alex Trebek, from local Canadian dance show host to world renowned emcee.

There's a CBC documentary floating around that gives a good account of Trebek's life - and even has a couple of brief clips from the elusive first version of High Rollers.

GSN's done a pretty good job on their documentaries lately.  Since we've basically said there might not be much of a market for printed material, I wonder if our best hope might lie with them.  They could easily put together a few more shows about our favorite hosts/producers.

Anyone know how the ratings were for the last set they did?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 03:56:29 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:23:09 PM »
Stanley Biltz is a more of a nobody than Pardo, ("Then I created this theme for Goodson-Todman, then over at NBC I helped create this theme...")
Stan Blits does not create themes. I'm not sure he even reads sheet music. His book may have plenty of "Here's how YOU can become a contestant on our show" or "Ever wonder what Cliffhangers looks like from behind?" but I highly doubt there will be mention of Breslow getting the boot or Holly Hallstrom living out of her car. That will come in Chris Mann's book.

PYLW

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 05:09:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'157926\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 03:28 PM\']
Stanley Biltz is a more of a nobody than Pardo, ("Then I created this theme for Goodson-Todman, then over at NBC I helped create this theme...")

[/quote]

I think you're referring to Stan Worth, who did the themes to shows such as "High Rollers" amongst others.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 05:09:56 PM by PYLW »

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 07:30:28 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'157934\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 04:23 PM\']
Stan Blits does not create themes. I'm not sure he even reads sheet music. His book may have plenty of "Here's how YOU can become a contestant on our show" or "Ever wonder what Cliffhangers looks like from behind?" but I highly doubt there will be mention of Breslow getting the boot or Holly Hallstrom living out of her car. That will come in Chris Mann's book.
[/quote]
That reminds me...did we ever figure out who to credit for the TPiR theme? I've seen Sheila Cole, Kalehoff, and then Blits listed as composer of the theme, each separately.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:00:09 PM »
Forget Stan. He is not a musician, not a composer, and was in high school in 1972. Stan is adamant that it was composed by Edd Kalehoff. I have yet to see Sheila Cole reliably credited as the composer.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 08:02:05 PM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 08:46:42 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'157963\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 08:00 PM\']
Forget Stan. He is not a musician, not a composer, and was in high school in 1972. Stan is adamant that it was composed by Edd Kalehoff. I have yet to see Sheila Cole reliably credited as the composer.
[/quote]

If you've heard Edd's "greatest hits" demo on his site, the TPIR theme is on it.  Of course, he also has the two Monday Night Football themes on it too, which I had assumed were composed by Johnny Pearson and Hank Williams,  Jr., respectively
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'157964\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 07:46 PM\']
Of course, [Kalehoff] also has the two Monday Night Football themes on it too, which I had assumed were composed by Johnny Pearson and Hank Williams,  Jr., respectively
[/quote]

He redid Pearson's "Heavy Action" for MNF, and had involvement of some sort [arrangement, perhaps?] with "Are You Ready for Some Football"....
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

DrBear

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 10:27:39 PM »
One thing I would like to find out is how Pardo broke the news on NBC that JFK had been shot. Cronkite read the first bulletin on CBS, but Pardo read it for NBC, which took a bit more time to get Huntley, Frank McGee and Bill Ryan going in New York ane even longer to get David Brinkley on air from Washington.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tvrandywest

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 10:37:20 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'157971\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 07:27 PM\']
One thing I would like to find out is how Pardo broke the news on NBC that JFK had been shot. Cronkite read the first bulletin on CBS, but Pardo read it for NBC, which took a bit more time to get Huntley, Frank McGee and Bill Ryan going in New York ane even longer to get David Brinkley on air from Washington.
[/quote]
I believe Don read the bulletin over a slide. There have been rumors that there was another announcer elsewhere in Rockefeller Center!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

mmb5

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'157971\' date=\'Jul 19 2007, 10:27 PM\']
[/quote]
Also note that both Cronkite and Pardo first gave audio only news over a bulletin art card.  CBS continued with Cronkite over an audio card until the studio was ready, while NBC actually went back to local programming until their studio was ready.  In 1963, the concept of breaking into regular programming was a novel one and newsrooms could not go on the air instantaneously like they can now.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.