Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR's Next Host  (Read 8354 times)

Justin Dyer

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 12:17:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158083\' date=\'Jul 21 2007, 05:32 AM\']
QFT. My initial take is not "wow, this is a good choice!", my take is "wow, that could have been SO MUCH worse..."
[/quote]

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

TimK2003

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 02:10:44 PM »
To be honest, I wonder if all of the "over-promoting-the-hell-out-of" "Power of 10" had anything to do with Carey being today's front-runner for the Price gig?  

It does seem a bit odd that there are more weeks in the "Power of 10" promotion than there are in the initial run itself (6 weeks).  Has there been any other game show in recent history that had gotten that much publicity that far in advance?

Anyone for Carey's Cost Cutters as the replacement for Barker's Bargain Bar??  
(Damn if I can't think of a new name for Barker's Markers).
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 02:15:58 PM by TimK2003 »

Matt Ottinger

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 02:22:25 PM »
It's still early, but the poll that we've put up at the top of the page (BTW, in case you didn't notice, there's a poll at the top of the page) has Drew's positives leading his negatives by about a 2 to 1 margin.  I wonder if there's any other candidate, aside from an impossibility like Tom Bergeron, whose approval rating among us serious fans would have been as high.

Meanwhile, as has been said many times before, we're going to watch anyway.  (Put more precisely, a change of host isn't likely to change our viewing habits.  We'll still watch about as much as we ever did.)  If CBS can find a name host who's willing to do it, who has a pre-sold everyman appeal and who's competent at first with the likelihood that he'll get better, I think they should count their blessings.

I also doubt that Drew's the type who'll want to come in and put his personal stamp on everything.  My impression is he doesn't want to work that hard.  Moreover, from what few quotes we've gotten, he seems to understand the value of the show the way it is now.  I'm not saying there won't be changes, that would have happened with any host.  I'm just saying that it's not likely he'll turn the show into Drew's Wacky Improv Pricing Game Show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 03:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'158112\' date=\'Jul 21 2007, 11:10 AM\']
(Damn if I can't think of a new name for Barker's Markers).
[/quote]
How about Make Your Friggin' Mark?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 04:17:34 PM »
Can we have the rest of the Whose Line gang be the models.  Carey's Cuties?

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

tpirfan28

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 04:40:43 PM »
At this point in time, if it isn't Dave Price or Rosie O'Donnell, then I don't care.    I find it extremely hard to believe that the suits have been looking for a replacement for "several years now".  If that were the case, we'd have known by...what...New Years?

Drew will do fine, probably.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

DrBear

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'158112\' date=\'Jul 21 2007, 01:10 PM\']Anyone for Carey's Cost Cutters as the replacement for Barker's Bargain Bar??  
(Damn if I can't think of a new name for Barker's Markers). [/quote]

Drew's Lines?

(and maybe Any Number will becoime What Number Is It Anyway?)

And there will HAVE to be some pun on "cash and Carey."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

davemackey

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 05:28:37 PM »
Well, Drew has the perfect opportunity to tell us if he's doing "Price" or not - he's set to do David Letterman's show on Monday.

As long as we're remaking the show in his image, anyone up for a Showcase Hoedown?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 05:29:29 PM by davemackey »

Matt Ottinger

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 06:24:37 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'158130\' date=\'Jul 21 2007, 05:28 PM\']As long as we're remaking the show in his image, anyone up for a Showcase Hoedown?[/quote]
VERY nice.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 03:06:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'158113\' date=\'Jul 21 2007, 02:22 PM\']
Meanwhile, as has been said many times before, we're going to watch anyway.[/quote]
Absolutely totally correct. If I were to discover Aladdin's lamp, one wish would be to see how emcees such as Jim Perry or Geoff Edwards, etc. in their prime would host a few TPiR shows. But that's fantasy just like a GSN dream schedule.
Being from the Cleveland area, I've been happy for Drew Carey's success for as far back as I can remember. And I am pleased as punch that he has a legitimate chance at this gig and I'm rooting for his success.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 07:42:26 AM »
If I were to discover Aladdin's lamp, one wish would be to see how emcees such as Jim Perry or Geoff Edwards, etc. in their prime would host a few TPiR shows. But that's fantasy just like a GSN dream schedule.
I would like to have seen Peter Tomarken emcee a few episodes. I think he'd have been pretty good. Sadly, now we'll never know. I'm surprised he doesn't get more mention among the fan base. His loss was a loss all the way around.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 07:43:46 AM by chris319 »

Scrabbleship

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 07:46:55 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'158190\' date=\'Jul 22 2007, 07:42 AM\']
If I were to discover Aladdin's lamp, one wish would be to see how emcees such as Jim Perry or Geoff Edwards, etc. in their prime would host a few TPiR shows. But that's fantasy just like a GSN dream schedule.
I would like to have seen Peter Tomarken emcee a few episodes. I think he'd have been pretty good. Sadly, now we'll never know. I'm surprised he doesn't get more mention among the fan base. His loss was a loss all the way around.
[/quote]

I will always rue the mechanics that didn't make sure that plane was totally safe...:(.

TimK2003

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'158183\' date=\'Jul 22 2007, 03:06 AM\']
Being from the Cleveland area, I've been happy for Drew Carey's success for as far back as I can remember. And I am pleased as punch that he has a legitimate chance at this gig and I'm rooting for his success.
[/quote]

Not to be a hometown shill, but Northeastern Ohio would be well represented in the show:

Drew is from the Old Brooklyn neighborhood of Cleveland,
Rich Fields is from Bay Village,
"Fingers" Grecco grew up the Warren/Youngstown area...
Now if we can only get back Kathleen Bradley (From Girard, just outside Youngstown).

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2007, 11:42:57 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'158194\' date=\'Jul 22 2007, 10:39 AM\']

Not to be a hometown shill, but Northeastern Ohio would be well represented in the show:

Drew is from the Old Brooklyn neighborhood of Cleveland,
Rich Fields is from Bay Village,
"Fingers" Grecco grew up the Warren/Youngstown area...
Now if we can only get back Kathleen Bradley (From Girard, just outside Youngstown).
[/quote]

If Drew becomes the host, I would not be surprised if FremantleMedia and CBS would allow The Price is Right to do a primetime sweep show in Ohio.
-Sanford

Gromit

TPiR's Next Host
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 12:26:28 PM »
Wow, at first I just dismissed this as just another rumour, but now, it's starting to look like it'll happen.

Certainly wasn't the first name to cross my mind, but thinking about it, I think he could do a good job. He's got the comedy skills, hosting skills, everyman appeal...