Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture  (Read 3444 times)

JakeT

vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:48:36 PM »
With only the possible exception of WWTBAM, I believe wholeheartedly that WSoPC is easily the best, cleanest, classiest and most classic example of what a true game show was meant to be.  A tight tried-and-true format.  A truly incredible host.  Contestants that don't make viewers want to hurl but instead are so easy to relate to.  A set, theme music and sound effects that are both very eye-catching, ear-pleasing and current but never ever distract from the game at hand.  I would LOVE to see this program increased to a year-long format, with the tournament building from a much larger number of teams initially and then narrowing them down over several weeks/months until a final showdown either annually or two/three times a year.  I believe that a show like this could find itself becoming a long-lasting TV staple as long as it doesn't stray from what it already does best.  Hell, look at it like this...it combines the best of WoF and J!:  Lighthearted, easy to play along without fear of feeling dumb, great conversation-provoking categories/questions and a generally satisfying feeling after watching each episode.

Michael Davies...I tip my hat to you (if I ever wore one)...you've done well here, sir...GIVE US MORE! :)

Jake

Matt Ottinger

vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 11:23:11 PM »
My only change would be to allow moderately-attractive fortysomethings to play.  Other than that, I agree totally.  This show rules, it's got to be fairly inexpensive, and it fits VH1 perfectly.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 11:23:12 PM »
Just off the top of my head...they could spend the first part of the season doing road shows at X number of locations around the country, allowing for regional tournaments and a big player base to get a chance on stage. By the time May sweeps come around, and the end of the season, be back at home base to the do the tournament proper for the big dough. It gets a lot of attention on FM radio, casual observers - everybody with VH1, practically.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 11:37:43 PM »
Yeah, sattelite tournaments would be the next logical step.  However, I don't think there's going to be any extension, since I believe the show's been "burned off" in 2 weeks both years.

I think a more pressing concern (which is actually not all that pressing) would be trying to cut down on the number of ties.  Perhaps expanding each round to 8 questions?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:38:06 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 11:44:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'158160\' date=\'Jul 21 2007, 08:37 PM\']
Yeah, sattelite tournaments would be the next logical step.  However, I don't think there's going to be any extension, since I believe the show's been "burned off" in 2 weeks both years.[/quote] I had that concern before, but I actually liked that it was done fairly quickly. Eight weeks seems too long.

I think a more pressing concern (which is actually not all that pressing) would be trying to cut down on the number of ties.  Perhaps expanding each round to 8 questions?
You could easily rig up a buzzer and have the round decided by a Fame Game question, but then you lose out on the possibility of an epic battle (watching the rerun as we speak, I missed the Grand Final on Thursday) like the one between Wocka Wocka and Team Motherboy that had eight ties between the five rounds.

I wonder why the Grand Final rounds were cut from ten questions to six. I liked that change.
Travis L. Eberle

JakeT

vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 12:07:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'158156\' date=\'Jul 21 2007, 10:23 PM\']
My only change would be to allow moderately-attractive fortysomethings to play.  Other than that, I agree totally.  This show rules, it's got to be fairly inexpensive, and it fits VH1 perfectly.
[/quote]

Well, Matt, I'd love to team up with you and one more person...trouble is, do you think we could find one other fortysomething who is not only moderately-attractive but is as devastatingly handsome as you and I are? hehehehehehe

Jake
Turning 42 in just a matter of days...)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:25:20 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'158161\' date=\'Jul 21 2007, 08:44 PM\']
but then you lose out on the possibility of an epic battle
[/quote]
You also miss out on the Holy Shiat effect when they get REALLY DEEP in a tiebreaker.

Which is why I LOVE the tiebreakers.

Jake speaks truth. This, Jeopardy, Poker Face, and Aussie Temptation are the four best game shows currently airing in the world today.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 02:16:05 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'158161\' date=\'Jul 21 2007, 11:44 PM\']You could easily rig up a buzzer and have the round decided by a Fame Game question, but then you lose out on the possibility of an epic battle (watching the rerun as we speak, I missed the Grand Final on Thursday) like the one between Wocka Wocka and Team Motherboy that had eight ties between the five rounds.

I wonder why the Grand Final rounds were cut from ten questions to six. I liked that change.[/quote]
I'll answer the 2nd part first.  I'm wondering if that was an on-the-fly change since the Wocka Wocka-Motherboy match provided enough material to forego the need to balloon the final match.  I highly doubt this, but since straddling the game looked like it was a seat-of-the-pants decision, who knows.  (And if it wasn't a seat-of-the-pants decision, then that's some damn good post-production work.)

As for your counter to my idea, I like the ties and all, but if this is going to turn in 100K Pyramid where nearly everyone ties 3-3, there should be a change.  The move to 8 at least allows more variation in scoring, which should in theory create less ties.  There's also something to be said for making longer tiebreaks, but that's only part of the problem.  (I know I'm probably dramatizing about 100K Pyramid, but the WSoPC learning curve is progressing similarly)

Well, Matt, I'd love to team up with you and one more person...trouble is, do you think we could find one other fortysomething who is not only moderately-attractive but is as devastatingly handsome as you and I are? hehehehehehe
How old is Brad Rutter? ;-)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 02:17:42 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

Don Howard

vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 02:56:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'158181\' date=\'Jul 22 2007, 02:16 AM\']
How old is Brad Rutter? ;-)
[/quote]
I don't even think Brad's out of his 20s yet.
Sounds like this is a job for Don Howard.

DrBear

vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 07:04:46 AM »
I don't think the tiebreakers are a problem, nor are a lot of 3-3 ties; after all, there was a 0-0 tie in one round.

And while I agree with all the raves - and if Pat doesn't get Jeopardy when Alex goes back to his dimension, there's no justice - I don't think a year-round series would be a good idea. It is a World Series, after all, and you don't play World Series every week

That said, I think a small expansion is definitely in order - to 32 teams, or possibly 64. Make it the NCAA Tourney of Trivia. Start your brackets! Get those pools going! And with VH-I and EW promoting it, you could see that happen.

Instead, the wife and I didn't see any episodes for two days because we didn't even know it was on that week.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tpirfan28

vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 09:55:24 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158167\' date=\'Jul 22 2007, 12:25 AM\']
You also miss out on the Holy Shiat effect when they get REALLY DEEP in a tiebreaker.

[/quote]
QFT.  I believe, in the finals...(highlight)
[color=\"#FFFFFF\"]one of the tiebreaking questions was "last 14 Primetime Drama Show Emmy Winners" or something like that.  Once you rattle off the current obvious ones (24, House, Sopranos, etc.), it gets good.  Also, there was one about James Bond movies...they didn't get very far, though.[/color]
I would love to see it become a weekly series.  How old it Pat K. anyway? (in reference to the J! replacement statements)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

byrd62

vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 12:52:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'158193\' date=\'Jul 22 2007, 09:55 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158167\' date=\'Jul 22 2007, 12:25 AM\']

[/quote]
QFT.  I believe, in the finals...(highlight)
[color=\"#FFFFFF\"]one of the tiebreaking questions was "last 14 Primetime Drama Show Emmy Winners" or something like that.  Once you rattle off the current obvious ones (24, House, Sopranos, etc.), it gets good.  Also, there was one about James Bond movies...they didn't get very far, though.[/color]
I would love to see it become a weekly series.  How old it Pat K. anyway? (in reference to the J! replacement statements)
[/quote]

If the wiki reference is to be believed, Pat Kiernan is about 39 or so.

sshuffield70

vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 07:39:59 PM »
I would think Probst would come back for J! when "Survivor" is done.

Jeremy Nelson

vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 01:55:04 AM »
Can Probst hold his own? Yes, but IMHO, I still don't think Probst could hold a candle to Kiernan.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

uncamark

vh-1's WS Of Pop Culture
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 12:19:59 PM »
My view:  Don't make it year-round, because part of the appeal is that it's a short run and a championship (and I agree that playing it over eight weeks would slow down the momentum).

Instead, put at least the finals of the regional competitions/auditions on.  It looks like a cheap show to tour, since the chrome's all in the Chyron graphics--just the set pieces and Kiernan.  Like the "CHEETARAH!" girls for this year, have past teams from the city do the post-game interviews.  And having the shows taping in the regionals would be nothing but good publicity (and would allow for radio station and media tie-ins).

Meanwhile, Twisted Misters, meet Ken Jennings.  They'll never want to run into Mormons again.  :)