Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes you'd like to see  (Read 42575 times)

Neumms

Changes you'd like to see
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2007, 12:41:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'159281\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 10:58 AM\']
I am utterly flabbergasted that you all think finding ten seconds here and five seconds there are going to fix the problem.
[/quote]

I think you try that before you mess with the format. That, and I don't think the problem is so severe you start chopping out games.

Besides, I was a Minnesota Timberwolves fan. Be gentle today.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2007, 12:54:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'159288\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 09:41 AM\']
I think you try that before you mess with the format.
[/quote]
Great, but do you REALLY think that saving 90 seconds over the course of a show with this nickel-and-diming is going to make a difference?

(Hint: No.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 12:54:57 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2007, 01:05:22 PM »
Great, but do you REALLY think that saving 90 seconds over the course of a show with this nickel-and-diming is going to make a difference?

Not really...but as long as Drew doesn't have extended, overdue, twin-pregnant pauses like Bob, it may never come to this.

And Jimmy? Stop. Please.
insert signature here

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2007, 01:13:05 PM »
Regarding three tapings a day: I once talked to a warehouse worker who told me that long, long ago, there was a period where they did tape three hour-long shows per day. He said, not surprisingly, that the third taping of the day was always a challenge to get through -- I'd be really surprised if they tried it again.

[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'159266\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 07:28 AM\']Someone suggested a while back to shorten the prize descriptions of the IUFB's[/quote]
They already did that the last time there was a time cut to the show. At least, as much as they could -- you can't cut the time that you've agreed to give to the sponsors.

[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'159278\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 10:26 AM\']A question: why, when they're short of sponsors for the grocery segments anyway, would they still have extra plugs for, say, crescent roll dough during the IUFBs--the "along with this prize goes a supply of" ones?[/quote]
Sometimes the products don't work with the pricing game in the episode. For example, you can't put a $9.99 product in Bullseye, or a $4.89 and a $4.99 product together in Hole in One.

--
Scott Robinson

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2007, 01:19:26 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'159291\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 01:05 PM\']

Not really...but as long as Drew doesn't have extended, overdue, twin-pregnant pauses like Bob, it may never come to this.

And Jimmy? Stop. Please.
[/quote]

Will do.  I keep forgetting that a good number of people here are deadly serious when it comes to the fun world of game shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'159288\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 11:41 AM\']
Besides, I was a Minnesota Timberwolves fan. Be gentle today.
[/quote]
I'm sorry.
When you want to watch some real basketball, let me know. :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 01:25:11 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2007, 01:51:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'159296\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 10:22 AM\']
[/quote]
Which, if it makes Neumms feel any better, he won't find in any other NBA city, either.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'159299\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 12:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'159296\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 10:22 AM\']
[/quote]
Which, if it makes Neumms feel any better, he won't find in any other NBA city, either.
[/quote]

We do have the college team. Couldn't win 10 games last year. But at least there's no insincere owner or shockingly bad general manager.

One other TPIR change: they should hang a removable display with the bids in front of contestants' row so they don't have to ask. And they'll save more precious seconds if the new, younger host can hear the bids without them being repeated. It's not a world of difference, true, but I don't think it would take much to correct the pace.

uncamark

« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2007, 05:12:16 PM »
Before "TPIR," the only other daytime that did reruns regularly was "LMAD," in their ABC years.  It seemed there was at least one rerun every week most weeks and even with the guest hosts, there were always rerun weeks.  The difference was that the rerun weeks were sprinkled throughout the year rather than all during the summer.  The clue, other than a different Spiegel catalog cover, was that Jay Stewart's "Now stay tuned for 'The Newlywed Game' next on most of these ABC stations" at the end was replaced with "the preceding was a repeat telecast."

joshg

« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2007, 06:03:50 PM »
Has anybody else thought of this: Drew naturally will speak faster than Barker based on his age. Senior types speak slower and tell more stories. Younger types talk faster and tell faster stories, some of which we may not have heard before.

Problem solved, especially in post, because there is no way this show is being done to time anymore.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2007, 06:55:56 PM »
An assortment of thoughts:

I'm pretty sure they're already cutting out a bit of the comings-on-down at the start of the show. Rich has been reading the next name as soon as the previous person hits the aisle.

I'm flabbergasted that anyone is flabbergasted that someone believes that trimming 90 seconds out of the show can make a difference. The only difference it's supposed to make is to balance out 90 additional seconds of commercials, and basic arithmetic argues pretty strongly that it will do that.

On the other hand, I don't think TPIR is nearly as rushed, nearly as often as some folks seem to think it is. Nearly every episode I caught in the past season had Barker filling time with the full explanations for the Showcase Showdown and Showcases.

On the third hand, even when the show is rushed by the end, you can usually point to a single segment that caused it: someone taking an eternity to play Cover Up, for instance. I think "live to tape" is an admirable goal, and TPIR can probably still meet it quite often. But if the choice is between watching someone gape at his buddies in the audience for a full minute, and forcing Drew to shift into hyperspeed to get the show in on time . . . hell yes, cut out the former.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

TimK2003

« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2007, 07:58:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'159290\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 12:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'159288\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 09:41 AM\']
I think you try that before you mess with the format.
[/quote]

(Hint: No.)
[/quote]

Note to CBS:  Eliminate 2-3 minutes of commercial time and charge more for the remaining spotsets!!!

Hell, half of them spots are for prescription drugs or medical crap already.  If Pfizer and Co. can't pony up a few extra bucks to air their 2-minute mini-infomercials, then I guess they'll have to do one less 4-page ad in the next edition of Southern Minnesota Basket Weaving Illustrated.

Even better, eliminating 2-3 minutes of commercial time could finally pit Alex Trebek and Wilford Brimley in a tag-team deathmatch for the title of daily senior health commercial superiority!  :-)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2007, 08:42:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'159332\' date=\'Aug 1 2007, 06:55 PM\']
I'm pretty sure they're already cutting out a bit of the comings-on-down at the start of the show. Rich has been reading the next name as soon as the previous person hits the aisle.[/quote]

You're half right...they're not cutting anything; they're just not waiting for people to get all the way to Contestants' Row before they call the next name.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that they were cutting-as-in-editing, but just cutting the tracking shots short.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »
"Late for the Party for $10, please, Art."

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159240\' date=\'Jul 31 2007, 04:54 PM\']Solo Showcase, IMO, is just as bad as dropping the one-bids. And both helped contribute to the 1994 version's demise. [/quote] Admittedly, it didn't help that the syndicated show was so remarkably different from the daytime one, but I thought that the OJ Simpson trial had more to do with PIR'94's cancellation.

Personally, I liked both changes. There is no joy for me in watching four people take two minutes to bid on a refrigerator. The "strategies" employed have been there for years. There's nothing exciting in seeing someone go a dollar higher than the top bid, and then have the now-loser getting indignant about it. Or the "Oh yeah, I'm so smart!" face from a one-dollar bidder.  And I thought the Solo Showcase was a nifty idea, both of which I would welcome, if those changes were made. Realistically, there's just no way that you can cut the One-Bids or the Wheel; they're too entrenched in the history. The only changes will be small, and probably inconsequential ones.

Really, the easiest way to get back time is to speed up the pricing games. Ten Chances should take all of three minutes, soup to nuts, if you keep the player from doing the deer in the headlights bit. And that goes back to picking the right group out in the line. But then again, TPIR has gone so far as to eliminate games that were deemed too hard, so I'm not going to hold my breath on that front.
Travis L. Eberle