Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes you'd like to see  (Read 42530 times)

Ian Wallis

Changes you'd like to see
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2007, 03:04:26 PM »
Barring strikes and pre-emptions, network daytime game shows did 260 a year with no repeats. Price was the exception.

It makes sense that Price would have done summer reruns as early as 1976, but do we know for sure that it did?  I've read in more than one place that the earliest summer reruns weren't until the early '80s.

Anyone know for sure?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

cmjb13

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2007, 03:37:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158835\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 01:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'158831\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 10:18 AM\']
Games will look like crap.
[/quote]
This is what "paint" is for.
[/quote]
Paint alone cannot cover up some how some of those games look. Having seen them up close, some have small chunks of wood missing from them.

I have seen workers doing a touch-up on games before showtime.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2007, 03:39:26 PM »
Just from an estimate, how many games do you think would need an actual makeover, if not, redesign, and how much would that amount to?

I'm talking more than just a coat of paint.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2007, 03:40:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'158850\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 03:04 PM\']
Barring strikes and pre-emptions, network daytime game shows did 260 a year with no repeats. Price was the exception.

It makes sense that Price would have done summer reruns as early as 1976, but do we know for sure that it did?  I've read in more than one place that the earliest summer reruns weren't until the early '80s.

Anyone know for sure?
[/quote]

It has been found on the actual CBS records that the show did indeed have summer repeats starting after the 75-76 season concluded.  SteveGavazzi can explain in more detail, as he is a better authority on this subject than I...

SteveGavazzi, white courtesy phone...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2007, 03:41:39 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'158853\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 12:37 PM\']
Paint alone cannot cover up some how some of those games look. Having seen them up close, some have small chunks of wood missing from them.

I have seen workers doing a touch-up on games before showtime.
[/quote]
I understand, but my point is, if they're going to go HD at all, at least enough to touch up six games worth of props to make them HD-tolerable, then they should go all the way and start the inevitable refurbishing project now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2007, 08:29:10 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'158855\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 03:40 PM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'158850\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 03:04 PM\']

Anyone know for sure?
[/quote]

It has been found on the actual CBS records that the show did indeed have summer repeats starting after the 75-76 season concluded.  SteveGavazzi can explain in more detail, as he is a better authority on this subject than I...

SteveGavazzi, white courtesy phone...
[/quote]

I've got The Price Is Right's entire first-run air schedule posted here.  Summer reruns did indeed start in 1976.

Back when TPIR was airing on GSN, people made a lot of bad assumptions because they were skipping episodes -- like, any time a pricing game showed up that hadn't been seen in that timeslot before, people seemed to assume it was the first playing.  I think the belief that summer reruns started in the '80s stems from a comment Bob made one day that they were going to tape the last show of Season 9 later in the day, but "people won't even notice we're gone because we'll be showing repeats all summer."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2007, 10:18:27 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'158813\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 06:52 AM\']I think Drew should keep the "Inspirational Putt" but not call it as such anymore.  Maybe just reference it as a "demonstration putt" without all the fanfare, success percentage, and bragging that Barker puts into it -- just the way in Superball how Barker would demonstrate without any fanfare.[/quote]Drew already has enough things to worry about than what to call his pre-game putt, if he indeed does one at all. If changes are made, those who would whine about such things are going to whine. If things stay the same, people are going to accuse Drew of trying to mimic Bob's style too closely. So it's really a no-win play.

I don't think the show improves at all by changing the color schemes, changing props, or doing anything that would not have been done if Bob was on for a 36th year. To me, that seems tantamount to a "do over". And the show doesn't need to go that way. They've been rolling for 35 years; they're doing several things right.

/changing the contestant coordinator, on the other hand...
//and maybe some of the personnel so that the show doesn't feel the same every episode
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:18:45 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2007, 11:08:43 PM »
Another "con" in the going-to-HD argument is the issue of the prizes themselves. Between transportation to and from stage and even the methods used to display them, many of the display prizes have small scratches or holes in them. (How do you mount a skateboard to a wall? You stick a screw through the middle of it.) Some of the refrigerators have white touch-up paint on them, but while it passes on standard definition, it's not an exact match. Some of the glamour is lost if the contestants are winning prizes that look used.

--
Scott Robinson
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 11:11:22 PM by MSTieScott »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2007, 11:14:02 PM »
That's true of every TV show where the set gets rolled in and out of the studio. In the olden days that was just about every game show.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2007, 11:26:36 PM »
A lot of the things that need replacing are things that have been done just in the past few years. That overpowering blue and magenta on the turntable platform has needed to go from day one. Likewise with the comic book theme on the doors.

I don't know if it's still there, but the Clam had a gray flannel wall covering on the interior which looked positively elegant. A decision should be made whether TPIR wants to go in a more elegant direction with graphics, or continue with comic-book and nursery-school graphics.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 11:30:15 PM by chris319 »

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2007, 11:58:41 PM »
I think that's the first time I've heard the words "the price is Right" and "elegant" in the same sentence. :-)

I do like the turntable area, even though it would look better if the pink was in the center...

My idea for a set though? Four colors- Red, blue, Purple, and Green. Turntable has green carpet, and the panels are in the order of Blue, Purple and Red. The door frames stay the same (Green with gold centers) and each door takes one color- Red for 1, Blue for 2, and Purple for 3. The logo is enlarged on the doors (traditional yellow and red, although I prefer gold), and on the doors are a tasteful arrangement of stars, MG asterisks, and dollar signs.

But that's just me...
insert signature here

HYHYBT

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2007, 02:10:56 AM »
I'm almost afraid to say so, but I like the special showcase podiums better as well. Not because they have a sixth digit: never-used spaces in a score display (the fourth space in Family Feud 1992-5, Wheel from 1990-whenever they got the monitors) generally bug me but for this it's the shape of them. The regular ones haven't looked right since they moved the display to the top, but making them a bit wider and moving the angle to the section that says "showcase" instead of in the gap below it makes all the difference. Not that it matters enough to bother mentioning if the subject hadn't already come up. Maybe not even something I'd bother with if such things were up to me, but the newer ones *do* look better.

Things I *would* change? Nothing to do with anything more important than set cosmetics. Not being imaginative enough to come up with a new design that looks better, I'd put the turntable area back to the red carpet era (post padding), return the doors to having some sort of design around the sides with a large logo (just the plain one, no years, stars, balloons, confetti, etc) in the middle and solid color between (not sure what), and all-new colors for Plinko and Punchboard. Maybe black and gold.

Oh, and during the host entrance, it looked much better when *just* the middle pair of door panels opened, not quite far enough to bump the rest.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

BrandonFG

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2007, 02:36:51 AM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'158888\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 11:08 PM\']
Another "con" in the going-to-HD argument is the issue of the prizes themselves. Between transportation to and from stage and even the methods used to display them, many of the display prizes have small scratches or holes in them. (How do you mount a skateboard to a wall? You stick a screw through the middle of it.) Some of the refrigerators have white touch-up paint on them, but while it passes on standard definition, it's not an exact match. Some of the glamour is lost if the contestants are winning prizes that look used.
[/quote]
Not to mention the cars that models have crashed into the doors. I'm sure hitting the door frame, even in Neutral could leave a scratch or dent.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Ian Wallis

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2007, 11:23:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'158880\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 08:29 PM\']
I've got The Price Is Right's entire first-run air schedule posted here.  Summer reruns did indeed start in 1976.

Back when TPIR was airing on GSN, people made a lot of bad assumptions because they were skipping episodes -- like, any time a pricing game showed up that hadn't been seen in that timeslot before, people seemed to assume it was the first playing.  
[/quote]

Thanks for the link.  It's the first time I've seen that and I'm amazed at the info.  Good stuff!

I think I can help with the GSN reruns question:  when they first picked up the show in Dec 1996, they aired the half-hour episodes at 9 AM each day.  They ran through the entire three-year package in just over a year (probably because of the fur-coat issues).  

At 6 PM each day, they ran hour-long episodes.  They started with the very first hour-long show from 11/3/75, but only aired '75 shows on Mondays.  On Tuesdays it was 1979, Wednesdays 1982, Thursdays 1986 and Fridays 1991.

After about a year of that schedule, they then seemed to run mostly 1983 shows (with a lot of the Phone Home games) Monday-Friday when they aired the show at 4 PM.

I think that clears that up...if I've omitted any info, feel free to correct...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2007, 11:32:11 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'158890\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 11:26 PM\']
A lot of the things that need replacing are things that have been done just in the past few years. That overpowering blue and magenta on the turntable platform has needed to go from day one. Likewise with the comic book theme on the doors.
[/quote]
The blue and magenta is a bit bright, but for me, as long as they never revert to that awful Hollywood mural, I'll be okay.

I kinda like the "vortex" design of the backdrops, and I would love to see the door designs from the 1994 version again.

Someone mentioned that they plan to make small redesigns to the set, while keeping it retro. That makes me wonder whether it's being done for kitsch, or if they're just keeping the set mostly the same.