Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Show & Tell: FLASHGames² on the Wii  (Read 3265 times)

dazztardly

Show & Tell: FLASHGames² on the Wii
« on: July 25, 2007, 05:14:28 AM »
http://www.flashgameshows.com/funwithwii.jpg

I just took some of the FG² titles for a testrun with the Wii's online capabilities. It was well...different. lol

The NYSI Category game from the Quickplay series, is enclosed in the picture above. Using the Wiimote added a whole new dimension to the gameplay.

-Dan Berger
FLASHGames²
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 05:15:19 AM by dazztardly »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:39:39 AM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'158544\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 02:14 AM\']
I just took some of the FG² titles for a testrun with the Wii's online capabilities. It was well...different. lol
[/quote]
My eyes bugged out of my head, and then I realized you were just running the page on the Internet Channel. (Which is what you said, but I didn't put it together at first.)

Which is interesting, as I didn't know the Internet Channel could handle Flash. Take THAT, iPhone! :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dazztardly

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »
It's pretty slick. However at this point, I believe it only supports flash up to version 7.

-Dan Berger
FLASHGames²

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 03:32:13 PM »
I've been using my Wii to play FG^2 for a while now.  The beta versions of Opera for the Wii were VERY buggy and would spontaneously reboot the console.  The final version seemed to fix that problem.  About 80% of the flash content out there should work fine, although you might have to zoom/unzoom the screen to see it all.
--Matt

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 05:32:43 PM »
The Internet Channel handles Flash very well.  FG2's games and YouTube have never caused any issues on my Wii.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'158610\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 02:32 PM\']
The Internet Channel handles Flash very well.  FG2's games and YouTube have never caused any issues on my Wii.
[/quote]
Huh. I'd never even thought to look at YouTube on the Wii. Clever.

I've also not tried this either: can you plug a USB keyboard into the USB ports on the back and have it work? I'll have a spare one kicking around once the ChatPad comes out for the Xbox.

jalman

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 11:21:18 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158618\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 06:07 PM\']
Huh. I'd never even thought to look at YouTube on the Wii. Clever.
[/quote]
Yeah, YouTube always worked with the Wii Internet Channel.  Even to the point where there are Wii-friendly sites like SofaTube.

I've also not tried this either: can you plug a USB keyboard into the USB ports on the back and have it work? I'll have a spare one kicking around once the ChatPad comes out for the Xbox.
From scouring various Wii forums, the only USB peripherals that work are some Ethernet adapters and USB-powered coolers.

dazztardly

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 02:20:13 PM »
The one thing I can truly despise is not having a keyboard to use while surfing the net with the wii.

I am attempting to write this message with the wiimote, and boy is it slow.

I do hope nintendo does consider in the future releasing special hardware.

-Dan

(Update 9:47pm) Wow... Upon returning to my computer and reviewing the message I typed, I noticed some errors. The keyboard on screen has the ability to generate words. What's funny is that I even proofread, and yet it still came up screwy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:47:54 PM by dazztardly »

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 03:44:04 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'158715\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 11:20 AM\']
[/quote]
I'm gonna guess that's the plan. I don't LIKE it, in fact I think that sucks, but I'm gonna guess that's why it hasn't been done yet. Because all they need to do is update the Wii firmware with standard USB keyboard support. The PS2 did it, there is not one single reason that it shouldn't be in the Wii as well.

But if they wanna pull a Dreamcast and release a proprietary keyboard, they can, and then they will find out why nobody used the Dreamcast browser either.

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 05:47:20 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' post=\'158739\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 02:23 PM\']
I know this post is off topic. I've found a Wii compatible version MB's Dark Tower game at Http://www.hotflashgames.com  I think I might end up in the isolation booth for this.
[/quote]
Well, here's to hoping.

/why the hell did you post it, then?

dzinkin

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 06:12:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158740\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 05:47 PM\']
[quote name=\'opimus\' post=\'158739\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 02:23 PM\']
I know this post is off topic. I've found a Wii compatible version MB's Dark Tower game at Http://www.hotflashgames.com  I think I might end up in the isolation booth for this.
[/quote]
Well, here's to hoping.

/why the hell did you post it, then?
[/quote]
Apparently someone holds a grudge over the fact that we won't start a subforum for topics completely unrelated to game shows.

I, for one, am still waiting for a full list of "the many reasons that this board needs an Off-Topic forum."

jalman

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 07:21:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158730\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 03:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'158715\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 11:20 AM\']
[/quote]
I'm gonna guess that's the plan. I don't LIKE it, in fact I think that sucks, but I'm gonna guess that's why it hasn't been done yet. Because all they need to do is update the Wii firmware with standard USB keyboard support. The PS2 did it, there is not one single reason that it shouldn't be in the Wii as well.

But if they wanna pull a Dreamcast and release a proprietary keyboard, they can, and then they will find out why nobody used the Dreamcast browser either.
[/quote]
The Internet Channel has been out for about seven months; that's enough time for user base, which will eclipse the DC's user base, to decide whether they want to continue to use it or not. However any new Wii owner who didn't download the IC before July will have to pay for it.  What would be the deal-breaker is if Opera doesn't secure a license for the latest version of Flash for embedded devices (the Wii utilizes version 7) and then many popular Flash-based sites require the latest version.  Based on reading various news posts and message-board chatter, the best-known/most-publicized use for the IC is for point-and-click games and video playing (see also this article and this).

The only people I can see trying to convince Nintendo of adding keyboard support are either the Internet Channel devs (i.e. Opera) or a MMORPG dev (i.e. Phantasy Star Online folks).

It's not really "pulling a Dreamcast," it's more like "pulling a Nintendo."  Nintendo has a long history of half-hearted-at-best peripheral support (e.g. SD card adapter for Gamecube, 64DD, Gamecube networking devices, etc.).  Especially when they're focused on the new Zapper, Wii Fit board, and the Wii Wheel; if there's no news on updating functionality for the Wii then that functionality will not a high priority for them.  Notice they've not made any further updates to the popular Mii Channel.

Unless a miracle happens and someone finds out how to hack this Gamecube keyboard, which was designed for Phantasy Star Online, for use with Internet Channel.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:23:59 PM by jalman »

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 07:54:37 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' post=\'158760\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 04:21 PM\']
Based on reading various news posts and message-board chatter, the best-known/most-publicized use for the IC is for point-and-click games and video playing (see also this article and this).
[/quote]
And to be honest I never thought to use it for either. (Honestly, I downloaded it, came here as a proof that it worked, and haven't touched it since.) But that's bloody brilliant. Why NOT run Bejeweled off of it, particularly if Flash does indeed work?
The only people I can see trying to convince Nintendo of adding keyboard support are either the Internet Channel devs (i.e. Opera) or a MMORPG dev (i.e. Phantasy Star Online folks).
I dunno. I think Nintendo would very much like to see the Message Board get used. And I don't think people will use it if they have to plunk out emails using the Wiimote.
It's not really "pulling a Dreamcast," it's more like "pulling a Nintendo."  Nintendo has a long history of half-hearted-at-best peripheral support
Speaking as someone who actually owns the Expansion Pak for my N64 (but no game that actually uses it), I wholly agree. But, you have to admit, Sega was just as guilty of lack of support with *their* Network Adapter.
Notice they've not made any further updates to the popular Mii Channel.
Noted. Isn't my Mii supposed to wander to my friend's Wii's and vice versa if we both have the settings made to do so? I check every so often, and not a sausage.

My lack of satisfaction comes not from the lack of overall peripheral support so much as the clear intent that they plan to create something proprietary and force me to buy that (well, actually, I'm not being forced, I simply won't buy it and won't use the service; I have three other computers in that room that will do the same thing just fine, but you get the idea), when they have all of the hardware connections in place to support a standard, save for a single very basic driver. And it makes all the sense in the WORLD to give it to me.

If Nintendo wants to make a mint? Don't make a proprietary keyboard, make a USB dongle that plugs into the Wiimote so that my preexisting keyboard can be wireless. THAT I would buy, if reasonably priced.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:57:28 PM by clemon79 »

opimus

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 08:08:08 PM »
Perfect Dark  Rare's Goldeneye sequel used the pack.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 08:08:55 PM by opimus »

jalman

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 01:07:12 AM »
Speaking as someone who actually owns the Expansion Pak for my N64 (but no game that actually uses it), I wholly agree. But, you have to admit, Sega was just as guilty of lack of support with *their* Network Adapter.
So true.  I also have the Expansion Pak, but I was looking forward to the 64DD alongside that and the F-Zero X level editor.  But that Rare sure made good use of the Pak!

Sega...eek.  I've never seen anyone w/a Menacer for their Genesis.  Or that octagon mat thing.  Is the "Network Adapter" referring to the Dreamcast Broadband Adapter?   If so, there's no excuse to have to the networking for games support both the modem and adapter.  But hey, the Zip Drive would've been t3h s4vi0ur!  *grumbles*

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158765\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 07:54 PM\']
I dunno. I think Nintendo would very much like to see the Message Board get used. And I don't think people will use it if they have to plunk out emails using the Wiimote.

My lack of satisfaction comes not from the lack of overall peripheral support so much as the clear intent that they plan to create something proprietary and force me to buy that (well, actually, I'm not being forced, I simply won't buy it and won't use the service; I have three other computers in that room that will do the same thing just fine, but you get the idea), when they have all of the hardware connections in place to support a standard, save for a single very basic driver. And it makes all the sense in the WORLD to give it to me.

If Nintendo wants to make a mint? Don't make a proprietary keyboard, make a USB dongle that plugs into the Wiimote so that my preexisting keyboard can be wireless. THAT I would buy, if reasonably priced.
[/quote]
While I have some doubt whether an idea would be realized in the market, that dongle would be excellent.  Speaking of keyboards:

If keyboard support really works (I don't have a USB keyboard handy), it looks like Nintendo is seriously getting into user-to-user communication.  Add to that a future Internet Channel update by Opera for keyboard support and I could see the Wii as a decent casual-friendly PC-alternative.   Hellooooooooo, new FLASHGames audience!

Oh, and hold the gazpacho, Lemon.  You have some good insight. :)

BTW, anyone wanting to see my Mii Doctor Who-centric freakshow, the number is 6920989670543100