Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Now That Drew Will Replace Bob....  (Read 5906 times)

davemackey

Now That Drew Will Replace Bob....
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 08:38:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'158619\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 06:26 PM\']
Or maybe whoever announces on Let's Do Crosswords could announce for Jeopardy!
[/quote]
Assuming, of course, "Merv Griffin's Crosswords" even HAS an announcer. Remember: most shows don't have announcers any more, as there's no need (as useless as a main title song on a sitcom anymore). The production company just hires a comic to do warmup and that's that. Those that still do are thought to be legacies.

Charlie O'Donnell and Johnny Gilbert are the last two throwbacks to the golden era.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 10:55:56 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'158680\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 07:38 AM\']
Charlie O'Donnell and Johnny Gilbert are the last two throwbacks to the golden era.
[/quote]
I'll counter Don Pardo, even though he's not doing a game show currently (although on what he does do a game-show spoof is done every once in a while).

I was one of those mesmerized by him in the hotel lobby.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tvrandywest

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 11:19:58 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'158680\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 05:38 AM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'158619\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 06:26 PM\']
Or maybe whoever announces on Let's Do Crosswords could announce for Jeopardy!
[/quote]
Assuming, of course, "Merv Griffin's Crosswords" even HAS an announcer....
[/quote]
The show is planning to have an announcer, but the style will be very different from Charlie O / Johnny Gilbert.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 11:21:34 AM »
I know it's not that big of a deal, but I prefer a show where the host is introduced by an announcer. "I'm Roger Lodge" just doesn't cut it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 11:47:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'158687\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 08:21 AM\']
I know it's not that big of a deal, but I prefer a show where the host is introduced by an announcer. "I'm Roger Lodge" just doesn't cut it.
[/quote]
It reeks of cheaping out to me. Especially because all they need to do is toss someone a few bucks, have them record it once, and they can fire it on a cart or something. I realize this wouldn't be Randy's (or my) preferred solution, but at least it's doesn't scream "WE'RE CHEAP".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 11:53:06 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158689\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 10:47 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'158687\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 08:21 AM\']
[/quote]
It reeks of cheaping out to me. Especially because all they need to do is toss someone a few bucks, have them record it once, and they can fire it on a cart or something. I realize this wouldn't be Randy's (or my) preferred solution, but at least it's doesn't scream "WE'RE CHEAP".
[/quote]

Which is exactly what they did on the first U.S.-produced season of "Lingo" with Randy Thomas.

Or, if you follow the Fox/Mike Darnell template, you can have Mark Thompson spoil the whole damn show in the bumpers and make the sort of smarmy accusations about the contestant's marriage that could set Fox up for a lawsuit (and I'm talking about that bumper on "Lyrics!" last night).

Since I've only seen bits and pieces, does Australian "Temptation" have an announcer or does Livinia do all of the prize copy?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 12:03:23 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'158690\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 08:53 AM\']
Since I've only seen bits and pieces, does Australian "Temptation" have an announcer or does Livinia do all of the prize copy?
[/quote]
Livinia does the prize copy for everything, yeah. And there's no introduction per se...the show starts with them walking through the revolving doors and doing a quick intro about the previous night's show, ending with Ed saying "Welcome to Temptation!" Cue title sequence, and the wipe back to the studio ends with Ed and Livinia taking the last couple steps towards Ed's podium.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:03:50 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »
For Alex: Pat Keirnan.

For Pat: Hmm...Jeff Probst?
Probably me on Wheel of Fortune. But to many of you, that's a longshot.
No.

For Vanna: A big, electronic gameboard.  Oh wait....
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

sshuffield70

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 10:26:54 PM »
For Alex:  I'm still pegging Probst, and have been for awhile.

For Pat:  I can somehow see Seacrest in the gig.  I mean it was Merv that brought him his first game show, and he's now a bankable, proven host talent.

For Vanna:  Sorry, I have to go with the puzzleboard by itself.

Unrealtor

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »
I'll join the chorus for not replacing Vanna if she leaves the puzzleboard, but I'd like to see her take over the hosting duties when Pat leaves, assuming she's still there and wants the job. She's as much a part of the show as Pat is, and probably knows the timing and rules better than anyone new would be able to learn them. When they're both gone, maybe it's time to consider hanging it up. Or I hear that Rolf Benirschke's available.

For Alex, Probst would be good, and I could also kind of see John O'Hurley taking over. When he did the Celebrity Spelling Bee, I described him as being able to "out-Trebek Trebek," but I could also see that as a negative.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

tvwxman

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 12:49:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'158826\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 12:45 PM\']
I'll join the chorus for not replacing Vanna if she leaves the puzzleboard, but I'd like to see her take over the hosting duties when Pat leaves, assuming she's still there and wants the job. She's as much a part of the show as Pat is, and probably knows the timing and rules better than anyone new would be able to learn them. When they're both gone, maybe it's time to consider hanging it up. Or I hear that Rolf Benirschke's available.
[/quote]
And yet everytime they have her speak (either as contestant or fill in-host), she comes off as a stiff, cuecard reading idiot.

As a guy who's interviewed her twice, trust me when I say, she isn't up to hosting. Period.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Don Howard

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 01:02:51 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'158827\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 12:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'158826\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 12:45 PM\']
[/quote]
And yet everytime they have her speak (either as contestant or fill in-host), she comes off as a stiff, cuecard reading idiot.
[/quote]
Susan Stafford could pull it off. When she and Chuck were on WOF, all of their chatting sounded natural. Pat and Vanna seem like they're still on their first date.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 01:03:54 PM by Don Howard »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 02:56:51 PM »
For Alex: I'm still pegging Probst, and have been for awhile.

I'd be OK with that.  He's proven he can handle that type of format.

/Why was Rock N Roll Jeopardy ever cancelled anyway?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:57:30 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Neumms

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 04:10:56 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'158782\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 09:26 PM\']
For Vanna:  Sorry, I have to go with the puzzleboard by itself.
[/quote]

Sorry, but they're never going to go without the eye candy. Maybe they'd give a model more to do--maybe the model reads prize copy and they don't replace Charlie O. when he retires. But they've got to have somebody in glittery dresses. And it's not like Vanna's replacement has to memorize 80 pricing games.

BMaurice06

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 12:30:36 AM »
Here's a name not thrown out yet who could replace Alex:  Larry Cedar.  I thought he did an excellent job doing those game show segments on Square One TV back in the day.  Yeah, I know he's an actor, but then again Art Fleming was also an actor before he signed on to the original Jeopardy!, so maybe he could make the transition well.  Heck, I even thought Larry could also do Merv Griffin's Crosswords (that is if Ty Treadway doesn't work out).