Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Primetime Game Shows This Season...  (Read 7655 times)

itiparanoid13

Primetime Game Shows This Season...
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 01:58:51 PM »
Ha, I kinda just realized that not only do we have the main game question format from Card Sharks, but we now have the car game for the final question as well.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 01:59:05 PM by itiparanoid13 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'158840\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 10:53 AM\']
If we calculate expected value, it comes out that over a large number of attempts, the net return will be +$190,000, so it would seem like it's an acceptable risk despite this being for the shortest-term.
[/quote]
Don't ever change.

/citing "pot odds" on a single-trial situation is the best way to be dismissed as an idiot.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 04:07:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'158840\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 01:53 PM\']If we try put this into context of the game, let's think about this.  Chances are, the 10% range that you set is half above and half below what you think the actual percentage is.  If you're right, then the natural assumption is that your hunch is correct, eliminating some of the "outlier" values, narrowing your range of guesses from 10 to about 5 or 6, provided you're still confident about your original estimate and you aren't so bullheaded as to think you were exactly right all along.  This bumps up your "chance" of winning to a more tolerable level, and almost akin to answering a question on Millionaire.[/quote]
This really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  If all you're being told is that you're within the range you've selected, then that's all you know.  There's nothing "bullheaded" about going with the exact figure you had in mind all along.  The question hasn't changed, and it's therefore as good a choice as any.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 04:28:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'158804\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 03:50 AM\']
As for Do You Trust Me?, I see some problems here.  How will they deciide how much bank money will be divided up?  At least they have a host which isn't saying much because that's really what we got:  not much details so far.  Still, it sounds like Friend or Foe all over again.
[/quote]

But the host they have is incredibly dislikable, so they have even less.

Still, I think the Prisoner's Dilemma thing could be interesting. This sounds better than Friend or Foe in that with one pair playing at a time, we can get to know them. And perhaps it could be structured so that there is risk action along the way. Maybe there are chances to bail out early and take half of a smaller pot or keep playing and building cash until the final Prisoner's Dilemma.

The original British take on this, "Trust Me" still sounds like the most interesting. No quiz at all, just pairs of people against (or for) each other sequestered in separate rooms, the whole game being a series of decisions.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 04:47:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'158863\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 01:28 PM\']
Still, I think the Prisoner's Dilemma thing could be interesting.
[/quote]
And why you continue to harbor that belief continues to baffle me.

The reason the Prisoner's Dilemma sucks as a game show has not one thing to do with what you surround it with.

You could surround it with Pyramid, have the teammates play the Prisoner's Dilemma after the Winner's Circle, and it would still suck.

Because the Prisoner's Dilemma, by itself, no matter what's packaged in with it, is HORRIBLE TELEVISION.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 05:18:38 PM »
I tried this element as a variant of CS's Audience Car Game. It will probably work close to this.

The contestant makes a guess.  I then give the contestant five points on either side.  If the answer falls within that range (+5 to -5), the contestant wins.  Same concept with PO10.