Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Say When game show  (Read 2406 times)

richb-32

Say When game show
« on: January 08, 2008, 10:05:15 AM »
Does anyone know if it is possible to get copies of this show from around 1963/64? My mother was on the show for 3 days and I would love to get her a copy of the telecast for her birthday.

Thanks for any help.
Rich

mmb5

Say When game show
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad but off-repeated news, but the only known surviving episode of Say When would be the pilot episode.  All other episodes minus one blooper were erased so the tapes could be reused for other shows.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Say When game show
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'174187\' date=\'Jan 8 2008, 09:19 AM\']
Sorry to be the bearer of bad but off-repeated news, but the only known surviving episode of Say When would be the pilot episode.  All other episodes minus one blooper were erased so the tapes could be reused for other shows.[/quote]
The tapes may be gone, but one wonders whether there still exist any kines in Fremantle's possession.

BillCullen1

Say When game show
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »
Say When was supposedly a G-T clone of The Price is Right with
host Art James than ran for four years on NBC.  It's one of the
few G-T shows I have NOT seen. I still hope that maybe somehow,
someday, I will. I also think Art James was a top notch host who
often did not get the recognition he deserves.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Say When game show
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 08:29:28 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'174216\' date=\'Jan 8 2008, 02:18 PM\']Say When was supposedly a G-T clone of The Price is Right with host Art James than ran for four years on NBC.  It's one of the few G-T shows I have NOT seen. I still hope that maybe somehow, someday, I will. I also think Art James was a top notch host who
often did not get the recognition he deserves.[/quote]How exactly did the show work? What I've gleaned from the Encyclopedia gives the impression of a game of chicken in the manner of TPIR, but it doesn't go any further.
Travis L. Eberle

asertv

Say When game show
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »
mmb5 is correct.  Only the pilot remains intact in the vault, on tape.

- Scott

davemackey

Say When game show
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 10:09:55 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'174231\' date=\'Jan 8 2008, 08:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'174216\' date=\'Jan 8 2008, 02:18 PM\']Say When was supposedly a G-T clone of The Price is Right with host Art James than ran for four years on NBC.  It's one of the few G-T shows I have NOT seen. I still hope that maybe somehow, someday, I will. I also think Art James was a top notch host who
often did not get the recognition he deserves.[/quote]How exactly did the show work? What I've gleaned from the Encyclopedia gives the impression of a game of chicken in the manner of TPIR, but it doesn't go any further.
[/quote]
Basically, you had to choose one of four random prizes which, totaled with your other prizes, had to be under a certain amount. There were frequently wild card items like a box of macaroni that you could use a certain amount of.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Say When game show
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 12:04:00 AM »
To amplify on Dave's description, you were basically playing blackjack. Two players competed. A dollar goal was revealed and four prizes were presented. The players alternately selected prizes (when a prize was selected another prize replaced it), and the values of the prizes selected were added to each player's total. The object of the game was to come closer to the dollar goal than your opponent without going over. A player could freeze if he felt he was sufficently close to the goal.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:07:57 AM by chris319 »

davidhammett

Say When game show
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 01:44:13 AM »
It's worth noting that when you were allowed to buy however many of a product you wanted (e.g., 1 to 50 cases of soda), the show called it a "blank check"... which of course was the title of another show hosted by Art James over ten years later.

I believe that there's at least one other episode (or maybe it's part of an episode) out there somewhere, but I have nothing other than my fleeting memory to go on.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Say When game show
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »
One of the themes for the show (the 'Sixth Finger Tune') was also used on Bill's Price is Right, I believe.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Say When game show
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 11:57:21 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'174263\' date=\'Jan 9 2008, 04:35 AM\']
One of the themes for the show (the 'Sixth Finger Tune') was also used on Bill's Price is Right, I believe.
[/quote]
I don't recall the music for the pilot, but the music for Say When!, the series was by guitarist Carmen Mastren. It consisted of two electric guitars (obviously Mastren didn't play them both). Mastren was a staff musician at NBC and apparently was the guitarist on the Tonight Show in New York.

http://www.classicjazzguitar.com/artists/a...e.jsp?artist=38
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 12:00:26 PM by chris319 »

richb-32

Say When game show
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 09:28:20 AM »
I just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. I was really hoping that someone would have had some good news for me. I guess I need to come up with a different birthday present for my mother.
Thanks again everyone for your informative replies.
Rich