Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Wheel" letter-lighting pattern  (Read 2295 times)

HYHYBT

"Wheel" letter-lighting pattern
« on: July 28, 2007, 02:32:08 AM »
When a called letter is in the puzzle more than once, they always light them from right to left. Now, I can think of any number of reasons for this using a 70's-technology-based board, but nowadays why not start with whichever side Vanna is already standing at?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

toddyo

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 10:36:42 AM »
Um, so maybe Vanna can get back to her home-base everytime??

Clay Zambo

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 11:00:27 AM »
I dunno; it makes sense to me to light them left-to-right, top-to-bottom, since that's the way we read.  Let V touch the screens in the order that's most convenient for her.  Or take the day off and let them light up by themselves...
czambo@mac.com

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 11:24:28 AM »
[quote name=\'toddyo\' post=\'158911\' date=\'Jul 28 2007, 09:36 AM\']
Um, so maybe Vanna can get back to her home-base everytime??
[/quote]
Home base changes for Vanna.

JeffParsons

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 08:51:18 PM »
Which brings up a question that I think I know the answer to, but will ask anyway.  Does Vanna touching the screen REALLY activate the monitor to light up with a letter, or is that just for show?

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 08:55:41 PM »
[quote name=\'JeffParsons\' post=\'159013\' date=\'Jul 29 2007, 08:51 PM\']
Does Vanna touching the screen REALLY activate the monitor to light up with a letter, or is that just for show?
[/quote]
The monitors are touch-sensitive, but of course, they do light up automatically during Toss-Ups or when a contestant solves the puzzle.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 05:50:35 PM »
You can most easily tell when, on occasion, Vanna will have to fight to get one of the letters to appear.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

That Don Guy

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 09:16:22 PM »
[quote name=\'JeffParsons\' post=\'159013\' date=\'Jul 29 2007, 07:51 PM\']
Which brings up a question that I think I know the answer to, but will ask anyway.  Does Vanna touching the screen REALLY activate the monitor to light up with a letter, or is that just for show?
[/quote]
A little bit of both, I think - early on after the switch to the touch screens, they had Pat touch a screen to no effect, followed by Vanna touching the screen and the letter appearing.

-- Don

Gus

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 10:12:09 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'159141\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 09:16 PM\']
A little bit of both, I think - early on after the switch to the touch screens, they had Pat touch a screen to no effect, followed by Vanna touching the screen and the letter appearing.
[/quote]

That was on the first touch-puzzleboard ep, and it was mentioned at some point, not on the show but somewhere else I think, that the touch-sensitive mechanism is only on the right edge of the screen. If you watch that clip again, you'll note that Pat is smacking the left edge with all his strength and nothing happens, while Vanna gracefully taps the right side and it magically pops up.