Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Board Games...  (Read 6402 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Board Games...
« on: July 28, 2007, 04:55:37 AM »
Of all of the game show games out there, which is your favorite?

And, if the game is not your favorite, which game do you think was adapated the best?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Board Games...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 05:06:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'158900\' date=\'Jul 28 2007, 01:55 AM\']
[/quote]
Password.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tomobrien

Board Games...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 07:50:35 AM »
Favorite: The Who, What or Where Game.
Best adapted: Concentration.

tpirfan28

Board Games...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 08:30:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'158900\' date=\'Jul 28 2007, 04:55 AM\']
[/quote]
Wheel of Fortune Deluxe.  Not any of these crappy "we've got $5,000 on the wheel ALL THE TIME!!!111!!!", but the one with the wedges.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Board Games...
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »
Favorite: (Classic) Concentration.

Best adapted: High Rollers '88.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

alfonzos

Board Games...
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 05:31:02 PM »
I would love to poll this group to see which home games are owned, played and popular. Anyway, some game make the leap from the tube to the box unadulterated. these boxed games capture the their television counterparts exactly: Blockbusters (Milton Bradley screwed up the Gold Run and Waddingtons made it a separate game), Break the Bank (Milton Bradley), By the Numbers, Card Sharks, Deal or No Deal (but it's a dumb game), Dealer's Choice, Diamond Head Game (except the bonus game which calls for a wind chamber), Double Dare, Down You Go, Dream House, Eye Guess, Family Game (lose the superfluous gameboard), High Rollers (Parker Brothers), I'm Telling, Jeopardy! (Parker Brothers), The Match Game (no bonus game though), Newlywed Game, Now You See It, Pyramid (Cardinal and Endless Games editions), Password Plus, Pay Cards, Snap Judgment, Talk About (assuming you have twin isolation booths at home), Top Secret, Twenty One (see Talk About comment), Two for the Money, Weakest Link (although it doesn't make sense unless you're playing for money), What's My Line? (Whitman), Deluxe Wheel of Fortune (no bonus game though), Who What or Where Game and Word for Word.

My favorite: Concentration (any Milton Bradley edition except first). Concentration did not make the above list because the prizes are placed on the gameboard randomly. On the series, the best prizes revealed the least helpful parts of the rebus while the worst matches revealed the most helpful rebus clues.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 05:05:03 PM by alfonzos »
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

DjohnsonCB

Board Games...
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 06:28:32 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'159002\' date=\'Jul 29 2007, 04:31 PM\']
My favorite: Concentration (any Milton Bradley edition except first).
[/quote]
Just curious since I have the First Edition--did it not make the cut because of how some of those first 59 rebuses were depicted and didn't translate smoothly enough into the actual wording?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

William_S.

Board Games...
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 08:31:25 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'158906\' date=\'Jul 28 2007, 08:30 AM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'158900\' date=\'Jul 28 2007, 04:55 AM\']
[/quote]
Wheel of Fortune Deluxe.  Not any of these crappy "we've got $5,000 on the wheel ALL THE TIME!!!111!!!", but the one with the wedges.
[/quote]

Second!

Clay Zambo

Board Games...
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »
I just came back from the home of some friends; after dinner, we (at Peter Sarrett's brilliant suggestion) used the box of word-cards from a Pictionary set to play Go and had a complete and total blast doing so.  This hardly counts as a Go home game, but it was the next best thing.
czambo@mac.com

Matt Ottinger

Board Games...
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 10:37:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'159015\' date=\'Jul 29 2007, 08:58 PM\']
I just came back from the home of some friends; after dinner, we (at Peter Sarrett's brilliant suggestion) used the box of word-cards from a Pictionary set to play Go and had a complete and total blast doing so.  This hardly counts as a Go home game, but it was the next best thing.[/quote]
I'd never heard of doing that, but that's a pretty creative adaptation.  As I say on my website, if you've got couples, the Men Are From Mars/Women Are From Venus board game is, as a board game, terrible, but the questions make perfect Tattletales material.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

Board Games...
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »
..and thanks to Matt's suggestion, I just finished a TattleTales home game a couple of weeks back, and he's right on the mark. Another one that can be converted - Hersh's old Name Burst can give you some (somewhat) fresher names for You Don't Say. And, oh..as far as TalkAbout goes, if you played the game in an area with a room immediately off it -like a dining room with a bedroom close by - put a radio in there and make it the isolation area.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 09:57:06 AM by The Ol' Guy »

Ian Wallis

Board Games...
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 11:27:11 AM »
Deal or No Deal (but it's a dumb game),

Although I don't own the Deal or No Deal game, there is one thing I don't like about the versions I've seen online - that is that the bank offers are usually weird amounts - like $28,247.  You never see that on the real show.

Oh well...minor nitpick, I know :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Board Games...
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 11:59:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'159048\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 08:27 AM\']
that is that the bank offers are usually weird amounts - like $28,247.  You never see that on the real show.
Oh well...minor nitpick, I know :)
[/quote]
I don't think so. That's lazy, lazy programming, and it's really easy to fix: just take whatever number their formula spits out and shoot it through some function that rounds it to the nearest thousand or $500 or whatever.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 11:59:57 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

William_S.

Board Games...
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 03:59:27 AM »
I just came back from the home of some friends; after dinner, we (at Peter Sarrett's brilliant suggestion) used the box of word-cards from a Pictionary set to play Go and had a complete and total blast doing so.  This hardly counts as a Go home game, but it was the next best thing.
[/quote]

Now that I think About it, Taboo could be used For Super Passoword/Password Plus. But then again Why not just use the Actual P+ board game? Well, at the time we got taboo, We never heard of Password Plus or rather a board game of it. So 6 1/2 of the other.

/I think I said that saying right.

Bob Zager

Board Games...
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 11:33:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'159020\' date=\'Jul 29 2007, 10:37 PM\']
I just came back from the home of some friends; after dinner, we (at Peter Sarrett's brilliant suggestion) used the box of word-cards from a Pictionary set to play Go and had a complete and total blast doing so.  This hardly counts as a Go home game, but it was the next best thing.[/quote]
I'd never heard of doing that, but that's a pretty creative adaptation.  As I say on my website, if you've got couples, the Men Are From Mars/Women Are From Venus board game is, as a board game, terrible, but the questions make perfect Tattletales material.
[/quote]
A few years back, a game called "Talkin' Tango" was released, which, like "Go," you and your partner had to construct a sentence/question to get somebody to say the words.

I don't own the game, nor do I know if it's still being marketed, but here is what it looks like:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5494